• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 6 places open.

1) Roy Orbison - Cricko.
2) John Lennon - Canveyshrimper.
3) Paul Weller - MK Shrimper.
4) Gary Barlow - Stats.
5) Jagger/Richards - Mcnasty..allowed because Richards has done very little on his own (waits to get shot down in flames)
6) Stevie Wonder - OBL.
7) Bob Dylan - Dick Bate's Protege.
8) Neil Young - Supernaut.
9) Roger Waters/David Gilmour - Great Yarmouth.
10)Prince - Clinton baptiste.
11)Bruce Springsteen - pickledseal.
12)Brian Wilson - Barnablue.
13)Morrissey - davewebbsbrain.
14)JS Bach - MtS.
15)Mad Bob Smith - Pubester
16)The Brothers Gibb - Rusty
17) Neil Diamond - They call it madness!!
18) Trent Renzor - Mr Gilbo
19) Noel Gallagher - stereoscene
20) Jarvis Cocker - Drastic Sturgeon
21) William 'Smokey' Robinson - Uncle Leo
22) John Mayer - Onion_Bag_Dave
23) Axl Rose - spunky1983
24) Phil Collins - Crawliano
25) Freddie Mercury - Billericay Blue
26) Mike Skinner(who?)..shrimpboy
27) Nick Drake - Lester Bangs

I was going to nominate Nick Drake, however, with work commitments I dunno if I can meet the requirements of the thread.

Best singer songwriter ever in my opinion. Oh go on then, I'll have to see what I can do!

Dry Your Eyes was excellent

I'm saying nothing about every other thing he's written

So much more to him than that. It annoys me when people just dismiss him. A brilliant lyricist of normal 21st century life and a very innovative musician. The only rapper who doesn't just repeat generic lyrics about girls and being in nightclubs. Granted his 3rd and 4th albums weren't so good but his last and final ever album is brilliant.

Nick Drake:
a very under-rated guitarist
Really? While many people think he's an OK singer and lyricist, I was under the impression that his playing was generally rated about as high as any other acoustic picker. I certainly think he was an almost untouchable player, second only to Davy Graham, but at times even more inventive.

I want to say Bjork because its a bit shocking there are no women nominated yet but for personal reasons and because I think some of those with trad tastes can appreciate this can I please nominate Win Butler from Arcade Fire. Ta

I want to say Bjork because its a bit shocking there are no women nominated yet but for personal reasons and because I think some of those with trad tastes can appreciate this can I please nominate Win Butler from Arcade Fire. Ta
Great choice - probably the best songwriter to emerge in the last decade.

Nick Drake:
River man http://youtu.be/idcaRTg4-fM
amazing voice, haunting lyrics and a very under-rated guitarist. But most of all, because his songs sends shivers down my spine

Yes yes and yes.

Macca was also responsible for the dire Ebony and Ivory! On the one hand, total brilliance (Hey Jude; The Long and Winding Road; Band on the Run etc), on the other utter bilge!!!

Obviously he needed John Lennon to write a decent song.

Last 4 places to fill..

1) Roy Orbison - Cricko.
2) John Lennon - Canveyshrimper.
3) Paul Weller - MK Shrimper.
4) Gary Barlow - Stats.
5) Jagger/Richards - Mcnasty..allowed because Richards has done very little on his own (waits to get shot down in flames)
6) Stevie Wonder - OBL.
7) Bob Dylan - Dick Bate's Protege.
8) Neil Young - Supernaut.
9) Roger Waters/David Gilmour - Great Yarmouth.
10)Prince - Clinton baptiste.
11)Bruce Springsteen - pickledseal.
12)Brian Wilson - Barnablue.
13)Morrissey - davewebbsbrain.
14)JS Bach - MtS.
15)Mad Bob Smith - Pubester
16)The Brothers Gibb - Rusty
17) Neil Diamond - They call it madness!!
18) Trent Renzor - Mr Gilbo
19) Noel Gallagher - stereoscene
20) Jarvis Cocker - Drastic Sturgeon
21) William 'Smokey' Robinson - Uncle Leo
22) John Mayer - Onion_Bag_Dave
23) Axl Rose - spunky1983
24) Phil Collins - Crawliano
25) Freddie Mercury - Billericay Blue
26) Mike Skinner(who?)..shrimpboy
27) Nick Drake - Lester Bangs
28) Win Butler - Another Surrey Shrimper.

Arcade Fire are good but you should have stuck with Bjork. :smiles:

Personally I think Bjork is more interesting musically/vocally rather than as a lyricist.

Arcade Fire are good but you should have stuck with Bjork. :smiles:
Think what swayed me away from her is that to get the delux package of her new album you need to shell out £500 - up front too as they are made to order. Anyone that is that into Bjork will be that into loads of acts and already be spending loads on the industry. I wanted to nominate Serge Gainsbourg too. Can I have 3 nominations? or 5? or 10? or etc

Personally I think Bjork is more interesting musically/vocally rather than as a lyricist.
Amazing voice but also she wrote a song called 'Hetro Scum' - who else would think of that!
Einer Orn quote: 'a Viking walked passed a man sitting on a wall took out his axe and sliced his head clean off, when asked why he said that the way the man was leaning forward the angle was perfect - that's why we have formed the Sugarcubes, because the angle is perfect'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back