• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Non-league refwatch ......... Dagenham and Redbridge (A)

Mick

Life President
League matches against Dagenham & Redbridge have gone pretty well over the years, with our only defeat being 8 years ago tomorrow when Mark Phillips was sent off (on the questionable word of an Assistant) and some guy called Rhys Murphy got the only goal. That defeat at Roots Hall was just two weeks after a 5-2 loss to them in the Paint Cup, also at Roots Hall, when we conceded 4 goals in 8 minutes (surely a record?). Their sending off in that one came too late to influence the result. So our only two defeats to them in 13 matches in all competitions, came at the same venue within a fortnight of each other. Apart from that all reasonably good and we have scored 3 goals in all but one of our League matches at their ground.

We also played and beat simply Dagenham in the Cup 1-0 at Roots Hall about 50 years ago.

On to the referee and I’m sure we’ll get preferential treatment after the largesse of Citydom. Man in charge is the quite experienced and bearded Gary Parsons from Hordle in the New Forest area of Hampshire. He is in his 5th year as a National League referee although he missed virtually all of last season with a serious medical condition. Not one of our younger officials (not necessarily a bad thing).

He spent his Tuesday evening in Yate making a vain attempt to get the Dover Cup replay played. This season he has taken charge of 6 National League matches, showing a highish 31 yellows and 1 red. He has refereed at Dagenham twice before, a few years back– both were away wins.

Assistants will be David Hutton, formerly from Essex but now Downham Market in Norfolk and Andrew Gray from Ipswich. Fourth Official is Aaron Farmer, an auditor from Colchester.

Watched that game from the East Stand (god I feel old!) - think John Still featured for the visitors that day?

Dagenham were in the Athenian League that season and for the second year running got to the FA Amateur Cup final which they lost for the second year running. They did however win the League that year (pre non-league pyramid and no promotion).
John Still - the tall one at the back with all the hair!

1634831269060.png

Watched that game from the East Stand (god I feel old!) - think John Still featured for the visitors that day?

Talking of feeling old, the referee appointed for the Dover match was one of Jarnail Singh's two refereeing sons. Also refereeing in National League at our level is Paul Durkin's son, although he doesn't seem to have done any games this season.

We were a pub team, named after a local pub, the Cherry Tree. I was Club Secretary and Right (in those days) Half. It was my job to collect the subscriptions and pay the ref (10 shillings, if memory serves). Do you have a connection with Dagenham Mick?

We were a pub team, named after a local pub, the Cherry Tree. I was Club Secretary and Right (in those days) Half. It was my job to collect the subscriptions and pay the ref (10 shillings, if memory serves). Do you have a connection with Dagenham Mick?
None whatsoever !

Back