• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Non-league refwatch ........ Weymouth (H)

Mick

Life President
The last time Weymouth came to Roots Hall they lost 7-0, but they did have Bill Garner and Billy Best to contend with. We have won our three matches against them without conceding a goal. For their Bank Holiday visit we have the longest serving referee at National League level.

It is to be Rob Whitton from Braintree who started at this level in 2007. I understand that at one time he was a regular paying customer at Roots Hall and I’ve always thought of him as a very decent non-league referee, having seen him officiate many, many times.

After 6 steady seasons he was given a trial Football League match in 2013 between Aldershot and Fleetwood. It was a challenging match and he sent off two of the visiting players. Whilst no criticism was attached to him, he didn’t make it to the Football League list. He had a further 4 years at National League level before dropping off (or being dropped off) for three years, returning last season. His 14 and a half matches this season have seen just 43 yellows and one red. His card count has always been lowish throughout his career. I last saw him referee in the Essex Senior Cup Final at Colchester a couple of weeks back in his usual competent manner.

The half match referred to in his cards stats is the first half of the Southend v Eastleigh match when he pulled up lame and was replaced at half-time. His next National League match, at Grimsby, came 3 months later.

He has not refereed Southend’s first team in any other competitive match although he’s done Essex Senior Cup games and friendlies. His previous appearance at Roots Hall was 4 years ago (when we were League One) as Fourth Official against Oxford United.

Assisting will be Shelby Elson, a Recruitment Consultant from Farnborough and Lee Hartley from Stamford. The former makes his Southend debut and the latter replaced Shelby Elson as Assistant at Aldershot when someone realised how close Farnborough is to Aldershot. Charles Martland from Swiss Cottage and a history teacher at Highgate School, will be standing by as Fourth Official.

I thought he was fussy, failed to let advantages develop and wasn’t as good as the ref on Saturday or that one who was exceptional the other week. But we’ve had much worse.

Seemed to favour us so, he was good, lol! No, seriously, I thought he was definitely one of the better ones we've had.

Back