• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Non League talent

Bowers players I genuinely feel could play in the EFL... Quentin Monville, Kenzer Lee, Ben Sartain, Dan Trendall.

There was that player that Northampton signed for Carshalton and he looked decent. But I do agree. Thomas and Tshimanga look very good. We'd probably have to pay a fee for them, unfortunately.

There was that player that Northampton signed for Carshalton and he looked decent. But I do agree. Thomas and Tshimanga look very good. We'd probably have to pay a fee for them, unfortunately.

I am sure the club are exploring all options. The main issues are that for most players, we'd have to pay a fee; other clubs such as Peterborough make their entire model based on attracting non-league talent and selling them on and are very successful at it. Therefore it's tough to beat clubs like that in the race for the very best talent.

You also have a lesser issue that some non-league players have very decent day jobs, and the step up to full time football does not benefit them in the same way it does others.

We need to recognise our strength and play to it, which for us has traditionally been players previously discarded by the very big clubs around the capital.

17 year old Danny Imray of Chelmsford City is rumoured to be on his way to Crystal Palace. I wonder if anyone from our club has taken a look at him recently.

17 year old Danny Imray of Chelmsford City is rumoured to be on his way to Crystal Palace. I wonder if anyone from our club has taken a look at him recently.

Possibly but of course it's a lot easier for clubs like Palace to gamble on 17-year-olds when they have the resources to do so and can afford to let him develop in the 23s. If we sign a 17-year-old presumably on a pro contract he's got to be challenging for the first team straight away really.

Reactions: fbm
I am sure the club are exploring all options. The main issues are that for most players, we'd have to pay a fee; other clubs such as Peterborough make their entire model based on attracting non-league talent and selling them on and are very successful at it. Therefore it's tough to beat clubs like that in the race for the very best talent.

You also have a lesser issue that some non-league players have very decent day jobs, and the step up to full time football does not benefit them in the same way it does others.

We need to recognise our strength and play to it, which for us has traditionally been players previously discarded by the very big clubs around the capital.
Exactly this. Our model is to pick up ex-PL academy youths who don't get a development contract and let Ricky Duncan work his magic. We know they have good pedigree and can wait a couple of years for Duncan and then Fagan to turn them from from boys to men. We sell Southend to them by being able to demonstrate that they'll get opportunities to play, we have good relationships with NL club to provide loan opportunities, and we aren't signing lots of 20 year olds for fees to try and build out the first team squad. If we start signing NL players for fees then we disrupt this model, and we don't have the money to do this because Ron has completely bought into the value of our academy, and who can blame him. If an occasional opportunity was to come up then I'm sure we'd go for it, but it's hit and miss and we can't try to follow the Peterborough model without basically having to say goodbye to our academy.

I would prefer us to go down the Peterborough route. The young players who shine at early age at southend unfortunately get snapped up by prem clubs for minimal fees. if we were to go down the Peterborough route it will surely make us sustainable model going forward! There certainly talent in non league that's for sure, just about finding the gems.....

I would prefer us to go down the Peterborough route. The young players who shine at early age at southend unfortunately get snapped up by prem clubs for minimal fees. if we were to go down the Peterborough route it will surely make us sustainable model going forward! There certainly talent in non league that's for sure, just about finding the gems.....

Gems aren't that hard to find, they just cost a lot of money. Peterborough do better from tried, tested and proven goal scorers in the lower leagues. Ones that cost far more than Mike Marsh, perhaps even 3 times what it costs to run the whole academy for 3 years.

I seem to remember when we had a manger who good at that sort of thing, we were doing better than Peterborough.....Some on here still wont say his name so I better not.

Gems aren't that hard to find, they just cost a lot of money. Peterborough do better from tried, tested and proven goal scorers in the lower leagues. Ones that cost far more than Mike Marsh, perhaps even 3 times what it costs to run the whole academy for 3 years.

I seem to remember when we had a manger who good at that sort of thing, we were doing better than Peterborough.....Some on here still wont say his name so I better not.
I look at southend think we are in great location and similar size club to Peterborough to attract those similar players, amount of money they make from transfers is credit to the people who run that club. Shame we didn't follow down that route but we decided to invested in old injured players with no sale value. I hope now with MM team onboard we will change are ways once we get through this season with league 2 safety secured. Proper structure at this club is the way forward!

My stepson plays for the under 10s and Danny is one who came through the youth system, was very prolific on the wing scoring lots of goals, understand he is being used at right back in the 1st team though

Lewis Manor for me could play L2 his goal scoring record at Bowers is second to none his a local boy aswell i often see him around Prittelwell with a few Southend United fans and his quite often in the Railway pub!

Really? I mean Brandon Goodship scored about 40 goals in a season at that level yet can’t cut it in league 2

I suspect Goodship may be a better finisher than someone like Akinola but just lacks the physical ability to compete at this level.

I would loan him out when fit.

I suspect Goodship may be a better finisher than someone like Akinola but just lacks the physical ability to compete at this level.

I would loan him out when fit.

Is it fitting that we are discussing Brandon Goodship on a Non league thread ?:Sorry:

I look at southend think we are in great location and similar size club to Peterborough to attract those similar players, amount of money they make from transfers is credit to the people who run that club. Shame we didn't follow down that route but we decided to invested in old injured players with no sale value. I hope now with MM team onboard we will change are ways once we get through this season with league 2 safety secured. Proper structure at this club is the way forward!

Barry Fry alone adds a zero to any incoming transfer fee. They would have got £5million for Yearwood.

To link it with another thread, Chris Powell did try to sign the likes of Bradley who chose Luton and Lyle Taylor who chose Charlton.

You never know one day when we have a new stadium and players can stay in a nice apartment overlooking the pitch. We might even be able to compete with the likes of Luton and Charlton. In fact I dream of the day we could be in the Championship and take the place of say...Preston North End.

A good few seasons of mid table championship football will make the wait, the heart ache and all the moaning really worth while.

Back