• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Non League talent

I look at southend think we are in great location and similar size club to Peterborough to attract those similar players, amount of money they make from transfers is credit to the people who run that club. Shame we didn't follow down that route but we decided to invested in old injured players with no sale value. I hope now with MM team onboard we will change are ways once we get through this season with league 2 safety secured. Proper structure at this club is the way forward!
Peterborough make money from players like Ivan Toney and Britt Assonbalonga. They paid £650k and £1.1 million for those two. Unfortunately that’s something we just can’t afford to do.

I dislike threads of this topic. Bang the drum for non-league players, but when we do sign a player with promise [like Goodship] and it isn't working out everyone's quick to say sack him off, his ****.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

I dislike threads of this topic. Bang the drum for non-league players, but when we do sign a player with promise [like Goodship] and it isn't working out everyone's quick to say sack him off, his ****.

I'm not saying he is **** but I suspect more experienced managers than Bond wouldn't have signed him.

Coxy did that all the time!!! Too often hehe
Only have to think of Vardy at Leicester, Robertson at liverpool etc to see the value of scouting these sort of players. Im sure loads of others too.
To be fair, Id have Mark Wright (rather than Josh Wright) as a back up down the left for a year. Commentator noted he was 'nifty'.

I'm not saying he is **** but I suspect more experienced managers than Bond wouldn't have signed him.

I wasn't aiming that anyone in particular, but just what I gauge the general consensus to be.

I still believe we have more to see from Goodship. I'm either an optimist or ignorant.

Not every signing (be it non-league or otherwise) is going to work so the failure of one (like Goodship) shouldn't prevent us from pursuing such a strategy.

Personally, I don't hold Goodship's signing against Bond. My feeling was it was worth the flutter on someone with his scoring record, even though it hasn't paid off. It's the signings of Ridgewell and Blackman that I hold against Bond. There just wasn't the upside there. Blackman may have been very cheap but I'd have rather opportunities have been given to Clifford or someone playing out of position.

Not every signing (be it non-league or otherwise) is going to work so the failure of one (like Goodship) shouldn't prevent us from pursuing such a strategy.

Personally, I don't hold Goodship's signing against Bond. My feeling was it was worth the flutter on someone with his scoring record, even though it hasn't paid off. It's the signings of Ridgewell and Blackman that I hold against Bond. There just wasn't the upside there. Blackman may have been very cheap but I'd have rather opportunities have been given to Clifford or someone playing out of position.
Bill Garner never really shone in his first season and half with Southend , look what a player he became .

Bill Garner never really shone in his first season and half with Southend , look what a player he became .

From what I know about Garner, if I was to compare a current player to him I'd probably start with Emile Acquah rather than Goodship.

From what I know about Garner, if I was to compare a current player to him I'd probably start with Emile Acquah rather than Goodship.

Bill Garner was signed a month before his 22nd birthday for £12,000 from Southern League Bedford. 6ft 1in tall he only played 24 games for Bedford scoring 16 goals. Barry Fry was a team mate at Bedford.

In my cup half empty mode (old fogey) the word talent and non league footballer seem to rarely go together these days.

Just look at the top scorers in the National League:

Sam Barrett leads the way - we know him aged 25
then Michael Cheek aged 29 played at Braintree and D and R
then Tim Denton aged 31 and 6ft 6in
then Daniel Wright aged 36
then John Rooney aged 30

You then get someone called Luke Armstrong who is 24 on loan from Salford to Hartlepool.
A little further down the list is Kane Ferdinand.

Just like league 2 the top performers are mainly 25 and over apart from Max Watters at Crawley who seems to have come from nowhere actually 6 months at Maidstone after doing nothing at Doncaster.

The days of the likes of Eastwood, Hooper, Austin, Gower, Flahavan, Clohessy, Hall Coker etc coming from non league seem to disappeared.

In my cup half empty mode (old fogey) the word talent and non league footballer seem to rarely go together these days.

Just look at the top scorers in the National League:

Sam Barrett leads the way - we know him aged 25
then Michael Cheek aged 29 played at Braintree and D and R
then Tim Denton aged 31 and 6ft 6in
then Daniel Wright aged 36
then John Rooney aged 30

You then get someone called Luke Armstrong who is 24 on loan from Salford to Hartlepool.
A little further down the list is Kane Ferdinand.

Just like league 2 the top performers are mainly 25 and over apart from Max Watters at Crawley who seems to have come from nowhere actually 6 months at Maidstone after doing nothing at Doncaster.

The days of the likes of Eastwood, Hooper, Austin, Gower, Flahavan, Clohessy, Hall Coker etc coming from non league seem to disappeared.

I think a fair few of those e.g. Eastwood, Hooper, Hall, Clohessy etc came from lower down than the Conference.

IMO the richest seam of talent in non-league is the level below the Conference.

I think Goodship was 2 levels below the Conference.

Lewis Manor for me could play L2 his goal scoring record at Bowers is second to none his a local boy aswell i often see him around Prittelwell with a few Southend United fans and his quite often in the Railway pub!

I bet he would burst a gut to him play for his dream club at RH!

Lewis Manor for me could play L2 his goal scoring record at Bowers is second to none his a local boy aswell i often see him around Prittelwell with a few Southend United fans and his quite often in the Railway pub!

On technical ability maybe. His fitness and stamina probably not.

Reactions: fbm
Peterborough make money from players like Ivan Toney and Britt Assonbalonga. They paid £650k and £1.1 million for those two. Unfortunately that’s something we just can’t afford to do.

Whilst thats true and we cant afford it, its worth bearing in mind that Peterborough didnt always have big bucks when they started out on their strategy of trolling lower leagues and Scotland and threw the dice a bit and also got quite good at it, enabling to fund bigger prizes

Ron as we know turned his face against this approach in large measure for a time and went through his long spell of preferring an aged name. Hence whilst we were bringing in the likes of Ridgewell, Ferdinand, Turner, Milligan, Ranger, Hyam, Kiernan Fortune , Cox etc, Peterborough were bringing around 25 players from the lower leagues, many on frees, and many bought at not high cost from the likes of Newport, Crewe, Barnet, Nuneaton, Dover, Stockport Luton, Mansfield, Blackpool, Stevenage, Lincoln, Ross County, Grimsby Crawley, Hamilton, Kings Lynn and Cheltenham to name just a few. They love lots of loans too !

They like to bring em in , in numbers as well , averaging around 10 a season, especially under the dreaded Steve Evans who still likes the volume idea at Gillingham and then toss em out if not up to it

Whilst thats true and we cant afford it, its worth bearing in mind that Peterborough didnt always have big bucks when they started out on their strategy of trolling lower leagues and Scotland and threw the dice a bit and also got quite good at it, enabling to fund bigger prizes

Ron as we know turned his face against this approach in large measure for a time and went through his long spell of preferring an aged name. Hence whilst we were bringing in the likes of Ridgewell, Ferdinand, Turner, Milligan, Ranger, Hyam, Kiernan Fortune , Cox etc, Peterborough were bringing around 25 players from the lower leagues, many on frees, and many bought at not high cost from the likes of Newport, Crewe, Barnet, Nuneaton, Dover, Stockport Luton, Mansfield, Blackpool, Stevenage, Lincoln, Ross County, Grimsby Crawley, Hamilton, Kings Lynn and Cheltenham to name just a few. They love lots of loans too !

They like to bring em in , in numbers as well , averaging around 10 a season, especially under the dreaded Steve Evans who still likes the volume idea at Gillingham and then toss em out if not up to it

And yet, for all the success with bringing players in and all the transfer fees, they still find themselves in league one.

(Granted that is a damn sight better than we find ourselves but still!)

And yet, for all the success with bringing players in and all the transfer fees, they still find themselves in league one.

(Granted that is a damn sight better than we find ourselves but still!)

Yep it must be awful constantly being in the promotion stakes and Just missing out , which quite pleases me but I agree and would be happy to swap positions

Back