• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Non-Southend League Two transfers

flangejackrabbit

Reclusive rabbit
Didn't see a good thread for this, thought it might be sensible to have something up.

To kick things off, I was interested to see Liam McAlinden come back into league football today with his move to Morecambe. I've always liked the style he plays with and felt he was unlucky not to do better when he was in L1/L2 previously, too many bitty loan spells. Decent in the air, good touch, left-footed, can run off the last man a bit but can also play out on the right cutting in. He was around at Wolves when we got Cassidy and seemed the better prospect of the two then. I hope to see him have a more successful return (though not against us!)

Don't know if he's related to Jimmy!

Also worth pointing out (as mentioned in another thread) Santos to Bolton, Farrend Rawson to Mansfield and Nicky Cadden, who I think will do well at Forest Green.

As usual its pretty depressing watching all the transfer action taking place as dear Ron continues to ensure our usual lousy pre season start.

51 signings now made with good old Bolton leading the way signing up 10 in 12 days since the window opened. Of the 51 mostly are freebies ( 36) with only 7 loanees and 7 fees paid, all undisclosed. One Unattached player signing. Usually at the start of the window loanee numbers are small

Im sick of us being a basket case and laughing stock thanks to constant embargoes and non payment of wages.

Me i just want a manager appointed and the embargo lifted ,after that i think everything will take care of itself .

Mentioned on another thread but definitely Spearing as one to add to the above as a good signing.

The more I see if Nicky Cadden though I think he'll be the surprise hit of the season.

It must be too hot in the South for football, only 8 clubs now not made a signing and 3 of them are us , Colchester and Leyton Orient

66 transfers gone through now in League 2, ( 9 undisclosed fees, 9 loans, 1 unattached , the rest freebies )
Bolton leading the way with 10 signings, Morecambe 8 , Carlisle and Cheltenham 5

Only 5 teams yet to make a move, us of course plus Leyton O, Colchester, Newport and Macclesfield
Only 3 of loans out of Premiership and 6 from Championship at this stage

4 teams Macclesfield aren't in the league anymore. They were replaced by Southend Old Boy's

Cheers AB I will update

Funnily enough I have family in Stevenage so the opportunity wasnt lost to see a rare Southend win away, early last season in the cup. Didnt like that they only did an online programme as we struggled to download the correct reader and get it to work ! I sat right behind Bond waiting to hear some words of wisdom and vociferous encouragement

As you point out Macclesfield got the boot last week so Stevenage were promoted back into league 2 and I would love to renew acquaintances and get to the game if allowed, The other acquaintances will be their Manager , Revell, Ben Coker on loan from Lincoln and Prosser ! Its a funny old game

Total Number of transfers hits 80, as number of loans starts to rise as we get closer to kick off, Bolton lead the way with a new team of ELEVEN incoming, with Morecambe in 2nd spot with 8, Cheltenham have so far brought in 6 , going for the loanee market with 3 in, two from the Premiership and one from the Championship. 14 loans in total, 55 free transfers, 10 fees ( all undisclosed ) Mansfield being the main moneybags and 1 unattached.
Still Colchester, Newport and Leyton O yet to venture forth

121 transfers now gone through in League 2 , with 9 clubs bringing in between 6 and 13 players, an average of just under 8 each, this of course contrasts heavily with our appalling position yet again.
Just over 20% of these transfers are LOANS, mostly from the Championship and some of them look good, although our experience would throw some doubt on that value.
Bolton have now brought in 13, Cheltenham 8, Morecambe 8 . Oldham 8 , and Scunthorpe 8.
The general one eyed consensus on here is that the 9 clubs who brought in 71 players will all fail and get relegated. We prefer fantasy and emotion over fact, but thats half the fun !
Hopefully we are if nothing else in a better position in terms of our actual players wages. With a cap of £1.5m on League 2. With 15 Under 22s we are at least saving a few bob in this respect,
Rons ego should have also been satiated for a while with his long spell of loving a name." Arry, " Bond, half the Dutch nation, Ferdinands appearing, Hyam,, Ridgewell, Milligan, Kightly, Kiernan, Turner, Ranger and no CEO

Loans are starting to pick up as you would expect as clubs get closer to knowing who they wish to send out and who to keep back in or on the squad / fringe. 60 Loans across the EFL suddenly this month as the numbers start to rise sharply. Similarly in league 2 as loans have more than doubled this month

Transfer wise the big shoppers are ..
BOLTON 13 in MORECAMBE 10 OLDHAM 9 CHELTENHAM 9 thats 4 clubs bringing in 41 players.!! SCUNTHORPE 8 CAMBRIDGE 7 CARLISLE 7 and BARROW 7

The measleys LEYTON ORIENT 1

I fear for the future of the club I have watched since 1977... I do think we are heading for the national league or closure.. I so want Ron Martin to release his stranglehold on our club as he is chocking the life out of it

As predicted Nicky Cadden looking quality for FGR so far - is he pulling up trees?

Gime Toure has made a good start for Carlisle, as has Elliot Osborne at Stevenage.

Also - let's not get on too heavily with the quantity - it's easy to recruit a load of dross, and unless you have money, people bringing in a lot early are not necessarily going to get the best.

Also - let's not get on too heavily with the quantity - it's easy to recruit a load of dross, and unless you have money, people bringing in a lot early are not necessarily going to get the best.

Agree with that very much as quality counts for so much and bringing in a lot can be a raging success or mega failure. Ian Holloway always tells the story of how bringing in one player transformed his team and propelled them to promotion from a lowly spot. However I am surprised by the sheer number of transfers taking place in League 2 although Admittedly Covid and wage cuts making a big difference with so many players released from contracts and out there.
9 clubs in our league have brought in 83 players alone , av over 9 each, and LOAN deals are taking off as Higher league clubs sort out who they are sending out. Clearly with 9 Clubs making that many changes the odds are some will do very well and others will suffer

with just a day to go of domestic transfers , the total number has crashed through an amazing 160 transfers in League 2. Loans of course took off in the last 2 weeks, with Grimsby the current champions bringing in 5. A max of 5 can be named in the match day squad. We tied second with 4 with Cheltenham, but have had to send one back, 7 more clubs brought in 3 loanees

The mingiest might be Leyton Orient just bringing in 2 players I think but both on loan

5 clubs have brought in 56 players between them an average of a team each. Nine clubs have brought in a total of 90 players. Way out in Front are Bolton with 16 incoming, up there with 10 coming in each are Morecambe, Cheltenham ,Oldham and Barrow. Morecambe are top of the league, Cheltenham 5th and Oldham bottom, Scunthorpe and Grimsby brought in 9 to date

Not much money spent on buys although for a club with a massive HMRC bill one club paid for 2 players !!

Back