• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With the fairly rare name of Norman I associate it with both the Gulf war General "stormin" Norman Schwartzcoff and also Porridge's Norman Stanley Fletcher character. NOW the joining of a Norman and Stanley in a name is a coincidence but hopefully a sign of things to come for our Wabo!
UTB!

No problem, we've got Dru, Harry Kyp and Elvis who all qualify under that don't we?

Yep, no problem whatsoever for us. We had Ted Smith/Nathan Bishop on the bench all of last season and sub keeper is the easiest position to stash a youth if Dru is on England duty and Elvis injured (I'm not sure Kyprianou counts as he signed in his u19 season).

Great to see how much Wabo has benefited from being loaned out and Mahers comments confirming how much good it has done him. Shayon Harrison said similar things. I hope it helps those here who think loaning out is not a good idea to have a little more confidence in the process and the club continue to expand the approach next year

I am not sure there is any evidence that he has benefited from being loaned out. He was scoring at U23 level prior to his loan and still is.

Shayon Harrison may have benefited (and Spurs) but I cannot see how this has benefited Southend United. Wabo was on the fringes of the first team and could just have easily have been coming on as a sub each time Harrison did to both his and Southend United's benefit. For me, a missed opportunity.

Yep, no problem whatsoever for us. We had Ted Smith/Nathan Bishop on the bench all of last season and sub keeper is the easiest position to stash a youth if Dru is on England duty and Elvis injured (I'm not sure Kyprianou counts as he signed in his u19 season).

Harry has never been a youth player , he was signed as a professional, as was Ba.
A young pro I agree .

there is no doubt that Wabo is making good progress and I hope he does break into the first team with the same impact as Yearwood and Elvis but it's not going to happen overnight and I don't see a goal scoring saviour in him at the moment. Lets see how CP develops and uses him before he becomes the answer to all of our forward line problems. As with Dru and Elvis, the path should be gradual integration.

Is that because there's no game tomorrow ?

I am not sure there is any evidence that he has benefited from being loaned out. He was scoring at U23 level prior to his loan and still is.

Shayon Harrison may have benefited (and Spurs) but I cannot see how this has benefited Southend United. Wabo was on the fringes of the first team and could just have easily have been coming on as a sub each time Harrison did to both his and Southend United's benefit. For me, a missed opportunity.

Thank you 'Feathers'.

Exactly how I feel about the whole thing.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

CP thinks so. He does not like the under 23's and believes loans to 'real' football are the way forward. So I guess we will see more of it with possibly Wabo going out next season.

Two fantastic finishes by young Norman on Tuesday but lets give him some time to develop and have the ability to step up for the main event. Some were raving about Jason Williams a few years back.

Perhaps a nickname would do. He could be named after another famous Norman.

Psycho - after Norman Bates but Pearce had that.
Hunter - after the Leeds and England legend.
Bill - after William the conqueror, a famous Norman.

Personally I like the idea of Wabs.

I'd go for Wisdom (or Wise for short) - because Norman is going to need some wisdom as he progresses and because, like his namesake, Norman brings a smile to my face when I am watching him play. :smile:

And Norman could build a funny walk into his goal scoring celebration ........ when that day finally comes!

I didn't realize his full name was so creative : Fotsing Norman Arthur Pitoula Wabo :cool:

Wabo has got potential for sure.

Acquah also has potential. Been banging goals in for the youths.

CP thinks so. He does not like the under 23's and believes loans to 'real' football are the way forward. So I guess we will see more of it with possibly Wabo going out next season.

Two fantastic finishes by young Norman on Tuesday but lets give him some time to develop and have the ability to step up for the main event. Some were raving about Jason Williams a few years back.

I don't disagree that playing "real football" is better than U23 football. My point is that if he had not been loaned out and Harrison loaned in he could have been playing that real football for the Southend senior team and benefitted even more.

Back