• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

longwayround

Well, two goals from Maher and one from the Preston reject, a result that was at no point during the game predictable, yes, the game was enjoyable.

Several days of fine sunshine turned to drizzle today in anticipation of my journey to the game. I left home just before two o'clock expecting nothing better than defeat. I raised a few eyebrows as I cycled to the ground, with a few people being more than a little impressed to find I'd cycled all the way– I didn't bother to disillusion them by letting them know it was a five minute journey.

Maher opened the scoring with one of his rare but fine goals after a still-bandaged Eastwood had been substituted for Foran.

After ten minutes waiting in the queue behind three people, I handed over a fiver for my half-time pie and was surprised to be given a note with my change. I would still not suggest that North End's pies provide any sort of value for money: the pie was perhaps the size of a CD. Length, width and depth.

Back on to football matters, the referee, who had been remarkably fair-minded for the first forty-five minutes, had been in discussions with the locals and reminded that North End do not play in red.

St. Ledger equalised soon after half-time before the previously-booked Clarke had a ball blasted at his elbow in the penalty area. This came not long after JCR had been booked, again somewhat harshly, for diving outside the area at the other end. North End's captain took best advantage of the ensuing penalty, leaving a bitter taste in the mouth as we had been playing fine football.

Disbelief at McCormack's equaliser turned to utter joyous wonderment as Maher scored the winner on the cusp of injury time.

We demonstrated today how well we can play against a good footballing team. North End played with passion and skill. Southend played with some uncertainty yet showed enough grit not to let their heads sink at the odd unfortunate decision.

My daughter, Hannah, had one of life's great rites of passage last week as she was given her first football shirt. The risks of her turning in to a North Ender were becoming too great. With luck, today's result will help to confirm her as a Shrimper.

Back