• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
As we look to get our first home win in four attempts against Northampton, this fixture has seen a red card on three of the last four occasions it has been played.

Man in charge of tomorrow's tricky looking match is Andy Davies from Hampshire, who has just started his second season as a Football League referee.

His first season went pretty well and produced an unexceptional 78 yellows and 6 reds from 24 games and his two games this season have seen 9 yellows. He has yet to have a cardless match and I don't expect that to change tomorrow.

He refereed Southend twice during that first season with no complaints about either of them - perhaps not surprising as we won them both. It will be good to keep that 100% record going.

Firstly, he oversaw our early steps towards Wembley against Wimbledon. A 2-1 win with cautions for Straker and Spicer (and one of theirs). The other match was the impressive 4-1 win at Torquay, with two cautions apiece; ours were Barker and Phillips.

Assisting will be Adam Crysell from Braintree and Alan Young from Cambridge, an employee of the Cambridgeshire FA. Young Thomas Ramsey from just outside Chelmsford will be doing the 4th Official stuff.

Last edited:
Did that ref send one of the Torquay players off in our 4-1 win?

Yes, Lee Mansell.

Missed that as it is an error on the statistics website. Well spotted.

Last red before that in a game v Torquay was Nathan Jones in 1999.

Don't think so. I believe the last player to be sent off in a Southend vs Torquay match was Nathan Jones back in the last millennium.

Yes, Mick was right in his first post, there were just the two yellow cards for either side in last season's win at Torquay.

And yes, Nathan Jones was the last player to be sent off in a Southend v Torquay match, on 2 May 2000.

I would argue that's in this millennium, but I don't really want to start that whole debate....

Yes, Mick was right in his first post, there were just the two yellow cards for either side in last season's win at Torquay.

And yes, Nathan Jones was the last player to be sent off in a Southend v Torquay match, on 2 May 2000.

I would argue that's in this millennium, but I don't really want to start that whole debate....

Don't rely on Soccerbase !

Don't rely on Soccerbase !

Wow, good spot! I actually started off looking at the match stats on the OS - just had the four yellow cards listed. I've just started reading the match report, and there Lee Mansell's sending off is mentioned in the fourth paragraph. Apologies to jamman.

Mick, are you sure it was 1999? According to Soccerbase, Nathan Jones was sent off against Torquay on 2 May 2000.

We played against Torquay three times in 1999. Nathan Jones did not play in the first match in January, but he featured in the FA Cup match at the end of October, where he was substituted, and at Plainmoor on 28 December. He played in every game for the rest of the season after that, apart from one three months later, so surely he cannot have been red-carded in that game either? Admittedly, as he played in the last game of the season (on 6 May 2000), he was clearly not serving a suspension for a sending off then either, but presumably that was because of the short space of time between those last two matches? Didn't suspensions take longer to kick in in those days?

Was that the one where he was making a goal line clearance in front of the North bank, and the ball ricoche'd off his shin onto his arm?

If so, I remember thinking at the time that was scandalous that he should get a red card for that.

Was that the one where he was making a goal line clearance in front of the North bank, and the ball ricoche'd off his shin onto his arm?

If so, I remember thinking at the time that was scandalous that he should get a red card for that.

That's sounds like the one. Although handballs are meant to be deliberate, anyone who puts himself on the goalline and gets struck is likely to see the decision go against them, deliberate or not.

That's sounds like the one. Although handballs are meant to be deliberate, anyone who puts himself on the goalline and gets struck is likely to see the decision go against them, deliberate or not.

Indeed. Penalty is enough punishment.

Instead of worrying about whether it was deliberate or not, they should concentrate on whether there was an advantage gained by the ball hitting the arm. That can decide the free kick/penalty decision.

Then leave deliberate or not for the personal penalty (card).

Back