• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I felt the ref largely got it right, He was more lenient on the physical side of the game than some other refs I have seen, something which Northampton used and we didn't, but certainly not a bad performance.
I think It was the free kick confusion which started the anti ref feeling . Most thought he had stopped the game for the injury and then , when they realised he hadn't , could work out what the free kick was for, that's not the refs fault. He stopped play for a push in the challenge, then checked on Cox. Mind you the Challenge on Cox was rather boisterous, but I would have been up in arms if a free kick had been given for a similar challenge by one out our team.

I felt the ref largely got it right, He was more lenient on the physical side of the game than some other refs I have seen, something which Northampton used and we didn't, but certainly not a bad performance.
I think It was the free kick confusion which started the anti ref feeling . Most thought he had stopped the game for the injury and then , when they realised he hadn't , could work out what the free kick was for, that's not the refs fault. He stopped play for a push in the challenge, then checked on Cox. Mind you the Challenge on Cox was rather boisterous, but I would have been up in arms if a free kick had been given for a similar challenge by one out our team.

I didn't see it that way. I was following play and did not see a push or anything else for that matter.

The free kick was given for a push by Demetriou and it was a free kick. What he got wrong was just moments before the Northampton player leading with his arm which struck Cox in the back of the head.

He was also wrong with the placement of the ball for the free kick, the foul took place just outside the penalty area not from where he placed foam. Where he was also wrong was whilst moving our back back not seeing the Northampton player scraping up the foam and moving it into a closer position and allowing it to be taken from here; neither place from where the offence was committed.

Other than that I don't believe he made too many errors. I thought the Coker booking was correct for the deliberate handball.

Can we just rename these threads "Shrimpers Talk Bollocks".

Absolutely nothing wrong with the officiating today. Coker unlucky with his yellow, but that aside, absolutely nothing to gripe about.

The game was stopped for a head injury because there wasn't a head injury. Just because someone is holding their head doesn't mean there is a head injury. It make surprise you but refs do actually talk to players, so he clearly knew there was nothing to worry about. Hence the trainer wasn't called.

I rarely criticise the referee but I found him to be very inconsistent. Their defenders were very physical with both Cox and MAF including the blow to head which Cox did receive prior to the free kick he subsequently awarded Northampton.

Now if he is going to allow for some physical defending then that should equally apply to the attackers. Cox was frequently pushed or buffeted from behind by the defender but as soon as he tried to back in or spin off the defender he was pinged and a free kick awarded against him.

The ref was SO inconsistent. Gave their big lump of a 24 a foul every time he fell over and failed to give at least two where our players were pulled to the ground. The challenge on Ranger near the end - Atkinson was sent off for less last week. It was studs up and off the floor!

That challenge was right in front of where I sit. I was amazed that Mr Brooks didn't even deem it to be a foul. I'm sure our recent Premiership refs would have been brandishing a yellow card for that. He allowed Northampton to make a number of strong tackles from behind taking player and ball of the kind that provokes commentators to say "You just can't do that these days." Well you could yesterday.

He was also very tolerant of much blatant pushing and shoving from both teams. No problem with that. However I'd guess he wouldn't normally have given that crucial free kick for Demetriou's push but was unsure whether he should stop play for Cox's possible head injury and it gave him a convenient opportunity.

Back