• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United surged back to the top of the League Two table with a pulsating 5-2 triumph at Northampton Town this afternoon.

More...

AlisonMoyet1 Alison Moyet

Shrimpers away to Northampton? 5-2 respectively? Top of the league you say? ... Oh my Southend ... is wonderful..

Top work lads! Let's carry this form into the next batch of away games! Very happy !!

I'm not going to go into ratings now, but suffice to say that was one of the best away games I've ever been a part of. The passion from both the fans and the players was incredible. There was a never say die attitude, the togetherness was there for all to see in the way they celebrated after the 3rd goal, Dicko kissed the badge! And the way the lads all hugged and celebrated with Mohsni was amazing.....as was the fact that he ran over to hug Sturrock and Cougho. All a bit emotional and one that's going to live long in the memory for me!

As for the way we played, defence was sixes and sevens first half. Barker is the weak link IMO and Phillips is having to do more than his share of the work which is what caused panic. Northampton shaded it, even if their second was offside (all well and good their fans texting into the radio saying that the throw-in leading to our 3rd should have been their's but they had so many decisions go their way too!)

Saying that, Boothroyd said after the match that he couldn't tell which team was top and which was bottom first half but at the end of the day, you could tell that Northampton played at their maximum first half and we didn't, I always felt that if we stepped up a gear second half we would dispatch them.

I don't know what was said at half time but they came out and dominated the majority of the second half. We played some of the best football we've played for 3 or 4 years and put them under relentless pressure. The penalty was definitely a pen, their 'keeper clumsily went to punch the ball and almost took Dicko's head off after he'd gone through on goal. Then what to say about the subs? Mohsni came on, lifted the crowd and the team. Sturrock pulled Hall aside and motioned him to get the ball into the box for Mohsni and it worked. Sampson came on and looked awesome. Great touch, strong when holding it up, good vision for lay-offs, great positioning and touch of pace. He could be a huge player for us this second half of the season. I also thought Benyon and Martin were excellent, Benyon's touch and passing were excellent and Martin gives us so much more balance.

Brilliant. I'm exhausted!

I'm not going to go into ratings now, but suffice to say that was one of the best away games I've ever been a part of. The passion from both the fans and the players was incredible. There was a never say die attitude, the togetherness was there for all to see in the way they celebrated after the 3rd goal, Dicko kissed the badge! And the way the lads all hugged and celebrated with Mohsni was amazing.....as was the fact that he ran over to hug Sturrock and Cougho. All a bit emotional and one that's going to live long in the memory for me!

As for the way we played, defence was sixes and sevens first half. Barker is the weak link IMO and Phillips is having to do more than his share of the work which is what caused panic. Northampton shaded it, even if their second was offside (all well and good their fans texting into the radio saying that the throw-in leading to our 3rd should have been their's but they had so many decisions go their way too!)

Saying that, Boothroyd said after the match that he couldn't tell which team was top and which was bottom first half but at the end of the day, you could tell that Northampton played at their maximum first half and we didn't, I always felt that if we stepped up a gear second half we would dispatch them.

I don't know what was said at half time but they came out and dominated the majority of the second half. We played some of the best football we've played for 3 or 4 years and put them under relentless pressure. The penalty was definitely a pen, their 'keeper clumsily went to punch the ball and almost took Dicko's head off after he'd gone through on goal. Then what to say about the subs? Mohsni came on, lifted the crowd and the team. Sturrock pulled Hall aside and motioned him to get the ball into the box for Mohsni and it worked. Sampson came on and looked awesome. Great touch, strong when holding it up, good vision for lay-offs, great positioning and touch of pace. He could be a huge player for us this second half of the season. I also thought Benyon and Martin were excellent, Benyon's touch and passing were excellent and Martin gives us so much more balance.

Brilliant. I'm exhausted!

Completely agree with all of this. Our support was fantastic today, a cobblers supporting friend said we were the best away following of the season! Loved Mohsni hugging Sturrock, very nice moment.
Second half we constantly pressured them and although they had some good chances, we looked incredibly dangerous, more so than in any other game I've seen all season.

Got to mention Dave Martin, last week he looked rusty, this week he was class! Very well taken goal, great crossing, and one of the best cross field passes of the season.
Sampson was very good when he came on and I think he should start next week if this cameo was anything to go by, especially considering we're away again.

Great day out, best of the season in my opinion!

Wish I'd gone now, sounds like an amazing finish to the game.

That was the first time that we've scored 5 goals in a match in 4 years and 9 days, and the first time that we've scored 5 in a League match in just under 5 years.

It was the first time we've scored 5 goals in an away match for 22 years, when we won 5-0 at Aldershot in the 4th Division. We got promoted that season.

It was the first time we've hit 5 against Northampton in 49 years and the most goals we've scored in a game in Northampton ever (previous best: 3).

And we are top of the league.

Enjoy the moment. :high five:

(all well and good their fans texting into the radio saying that the throw-in leading to our 3rd should have been their's but they had so many decisions go their way too!)

I wasn't there, so you'll have to explain exactly what happened, but you can't be offside from a throw-in, so I'm not sure what they are complaining about (that's where I may need your help!!)

I wasn't there, so you'll have to explain exactly what happened, but you can't be offside from a throw-in, so I'm not sure what they are complaining about (that's where I may need your help!!)

Nothing to do with offside! They were moaning, saying that it came off a Southend player and should have been their throw and the ref got it wrong by giving it to us. Gilbo took it quickly, threw it to Sampson, who took it down the wing and cut it back for Dicko to finish. One of their fans who texted in said we shouldn't have been allowed to take the quick throw :-/

That was a champions display. Sampson looks like a very decent player and should definitely start next week. That would be my only change despite moshni getting two goals. I am a moshni worshipper, but don't see where he fits in at present. He is the perfect impact sub, he isolates the full back from left midfield and hall whips it in from the other side. It's clever stuff from sturrock.

Nothing to do with offside! They were moaning, saying that it came off a Southend player and should have been their throw and the ref got it wrong by giving it to us. Gilbo took it quickly, threw it to Sampson, who took it down the wing and cut it back for Dicko to finish. One of their fans who texted in said we shouldn't have been allowed to take the quick throw :-/

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification mate

So disappointed I couldn't go. Was going to, but had to play in a rugby match which was eventually cancelled... :sad:

Anyway, great result and what a way to get your 500th away win, scoring 5 goals away for the first time in 22 years... Glad to hear Martin played well and Sampson sounds exciting...

Bilel back with a bang! apart from the wild celebrations how was his temperament?

Great result!! Big well done for Moshni and Sampson both making a big impact by coming off the bench!!

Good to see Martin get off the mark too.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE :smile:

Back