• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1 word for the 2nd half performance Sensational !!!! the first half was not good at all and i felt if it wasnt for phillips could have been a lot more. Fair play to Gilbert he was getting a hell of a lot of stick from the home fans but i thought this was one of the better games he has played this season. i said at half time that we were going to win this. when mohsni come on i think everyone knew what was coming GOALS ! sampson looked very impressive up top considering that was his forst ever proffesional football match i thought he handled the pressure well and just done his job bery well ! UTB what a performance !!

Quite frustrated at being 2-1 down at half time, but that second half was as good a 45 mins I've seen for a while. Thought we were outstanding and could have had another two goals comfortably. Even at 2-2 and 3-2 Northampton went close with two free-kicks, but we were just too strong for them in the end. The switching of the play to Hall or Martin was top class and they just couldn't live with us at times.

Thought Sampson lived up to the promise that surrounded his loan move and I'd start him next week to see if he can replicate that over an hour or so.
Moshni was typical Moshni, great goals while playing on the left of midfield - it all looks so easy for him wherever he plays on the park!
I'd love to see stats on our most creative players over the years, because I'm sure Hall's assists would be right up there with the best. Sometimes it didn't run for him today, but another three assists shows what a top, top player he is for us.

Every game is massive from here on in and that starts at Shrewsbury next week, but today was special and it was great to witness that second half performance.

Can only echo what people have said, will remember this performance for many a year. Dont know what Luggy said at half time but we absolutely bombarded their goal. Never seen us have so many efforts on goal. Scored 5 but couldve had 10. Just need to show that ruthless streak more often, not sit back on leads, go for the throat like we did today.

Still a few dodgy bits of defending, I thought their front 2 were a handful especially the number 9, and they were unlcuky with a couple of efforts in the second half but I dont think you can say a draw wouldve been a fair result. We absolutely battered them second half. Hall and Clohessy were superb down the right, Ryan just pinging brilliant ball after brilliant ball in to the box. Martin really impressed, great finish and we look so much more expansive and attacking with him in the team, and we stretch defences more. Timlin and JPK were a great double act in the middle too, some of Timlins passing was magnificient, and he was unlucky not to bag himself at least a couple of goals. Dicko was superb second half, linking play, winning headers. I also thought Benyon looked sharp but needs a goal. If he had just had an extra bit of pace he'd be a real good player, got in a lot of good positions and will score soon Im sure. Sampson looked class when he came on, I would keep him as an impact sub though for now, ditto Bilel who was brilliant, let his football do the talking, two bullet headers, although in fairness it was down to the superb delivery.

Great atmosphere, great celebrations from the players, and Crawley only drew which is great news. You look at how they have struggled to get players in the window and we have nailed 4 great signings and you suspect the tables may be turning. Really strong bench today too, with the likes of Flood and Sawyer to still have a say too hopefully.

FInally a mention for Luggy, thats why he is a promotion winning manager and no one on here is! Great subs, great tactics, and great signings, if he gets us promoted it will surely rank as good as any achievement in this clubs history, considering where we were 2 years ago.

Well football is they say is the proverbial game of two halves.

First half without peppering the oposition we looked comfortable and built a little methodically which meant that what we did offer was not productive although we could have had a couple more goals other the solitary volley well taken by martin.

The problem was that it felt a little like two old pro boxers slugging out and that gave northampton every chance to get themselves something, which down to abysmal defending and a dubious onside call we found ourselves trailing at the break.

I think most of the decent away following today felt that blues would get something from the game.

Second half was a different game altogether and blues started to assert themslelves with far more vigour.

Blues started to pass the ball and as they did so it was apparent that there was indeed a gulf in class between the two clubs.

Again a slightly fortuitous goal came about , but this time it was blues that got the benefit with the referee , who i had to say i thought poor giving a penalty for a foul on dickinson , who then despatched a peach of a penalty.

What then followed was a whirlwind.

Northampton then started to come back at us and but for morris making a cracking save and the width of the post from a great free kick effort, they would have taken the lead again.

This however was not northamptons day. And soon sturrock brought on southends most talked about player since probably eastwood or collymore.

Mohsni who love him or hate him cant be denied carries a goal threat and it was almost script written that having almost left the club for well documented circumstances came to southends rescue today.

Having been on for just a matter of minutes he played a delightful crossfield ball the chest of hall and then galloped like champion race horse to unleash a fabulous header from halls long range one two queing delerium from a great away support.

It wasnt long before we upped another gear and by this time northampton had ran well and truely out of steam and ideas, so much so that akinfenwa was introduced much to the amusement of the away support who pored scorn on his rotund appearance.

Southend continued to press and moshni was looking threatening with hall and clohessy combining well out wide.

Jack sampson was introduced for his league debut and almost imediately started showing premier league nous in his hold up distribution and enthusiasm.

Moshni popped up with another goal which in truth finished off a wounded animal and then shortly after sampson played a great pass to dickinson who despatched with aplomb.

Its been well documented that southend play a long (hoof) ball game which does not always bare fruit, well today that question was answered as southend started to play the sort of football that we as fans have craved for sometime.

The move of the match was the exsquisit one two between hall and moshni culminating in a header that alan shearer would have been proud of.

Lets not get too get too carried away .

Northampton are bottom for a reason and we will need to be much better defensively if we are to get a maximum away at shrewsbury, but we are now entering the business end of the season.

Looking foward to putting both swindon and crawley to the sword when they visit roots hall.

Well played lads well managed PS and GC and well done the fans. A great away day

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever. If that celebration merits a yellow card it would appear that any kind of emotion is no longer to be permitted in the game. A disgraceful decision. :thumbdown:

Apparently for going into the crowd but looking at the video in this thread of him scoring the penalty, he didn't go into the crowd at all.

Hello all , im related to Jack and am pleased that some of you think he did well today . Very proud moment for him to make his first team debut . just thought id register to see how everyone thought he did .

Hello all , im related to Jack and am pleased that some of you think he did well today . Very proud moment for him to make his first team debut . just thought id register to see how everyone thought he did .

He did well his movement was very good and he looked a threat when he came on. Im sure all at the club will make him welcome during his stay and we all hope he can chip in with some goals.

Sounds like he made a great impression. Welcome to the site. Feel free to stick around and maybe share any insights from Jack.

Welcome to the Zone Stu, hopefully Jack will show us his skills and help us to further our promotion hopes in the time he is with us.

Cheers guys , his Dad was with him today and according to what he told my Brother Jack and his dad were really happy with how it went .

Very impressed with him. If he keeps his feet on the ground & learns from those around him, I think he will be a terrific player..:thumbsup:

Back