• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Really wish I'd have saved £50 and my Saturday afternoon but hey ho.

Absolutely shocking. Oxley just isn't a League One keeper by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not even sure he's a League Two keeper. No creativity in midfield and poor substitutions from Brown once more - taking Mooney off when 3-0 down? All topped off with some awful refereeing.

Really thought we'd turned a corner after last week but that was the same old rubbish we've seen all season. Not sure where we go from here. It's going to be a painfully long season.

Arguably the better side in the first half, then Oxley spilled a shot 0-1, Demetriou got sent off, 0-2, and we fell to bits from that point onwards. We know we're not the best side in this league so if we're going to do well, all 11 players need to be 'at it'. The goalkeeper situation is the most worrying for me - I'm not criticising Oxley who's playing as well as his capabilities allow - but I'd love to know who decided he was good enough to play league 1 football. We've recruited badly in that area, plus chopped keepers twice already this season so don't really want to be doing that again. Not sure what the solution is apart from muddle through, because as I understand it we can't go and get a loan now?

Can you please stop editing your post so quickly when I'm trying to point out you had the wrong guy. What's the zone coming to with so much accuracy:winking:

Just caught PB's reaction on the radio, and him saying it's game over when 2-0 down with 10 men has irked me a bit. I feel like there should be a least a shred of fighting spirit, even if the odds are against you. Is it a possibility that this is always PB's mentality towards unfavourable situations, and he passes this dead and buried attitude to the team? Might explain why the heads go down after bad things happen, how are you supposed to believe you can still win if not even your manager does! - May be over extrapolating from one quote, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Last edited:
Game was pretty dull but overall we looked like we could come out of the game ok and perhaps nick a win from a set piece.

That's Brown's tactic though, isn't it? Shut up shop, keep a clean sheet at all costs, and try & nick one at the other end.

In fairness, that tactic worked against League 2 opposition, and we profited from it. With a good team spirit, it even carried us for a fair way last season. But this season, with the disharmony rumours, our defence being leaky as ****, & the opposition being better, Brown's Plan A is simply Russian Roulette.

The pressing issue is the goalkeeping situation - Oxley has now conceded 16 in 8 games. How many games have we now conceded goals because of goalkeeping errors? If I was Brown, I would be looking to see if there are any half decent goalkeepers that he is able to pick up on a free.

Last edited:
Just caught PB's reaction on the radio, and him saying it's game over when 2-0 down with 10 men is game over has irked me a bit. I feel like there should be a least a shred of fighting spirit, even if the odds are against you. Is it a possibility that this is always PB's mentality towards unfavourable situations, and he passes this dead and buried attitude to the team? Might explain why the heads go down after bad things happen, how are you supposed to believe you can still win if not even your manager does! - May be over extrapolating from one quote, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Double edged sword. I fully agree with what you've said, and it's hard to fault. With the level of negativity surrounding the club, this just feels like another kick in the 'nads. But on the flip side, you could argue that it's refreshing to hear the truth,(although I wouldn't argue). Let's be honest, when was the last time we came from 2 down, to win? IIRC, Hartlepool at home, in Tilly's last season?

Is the goalkeeping really that poor or is it a lack of organisation in front of the keeper that leaves him exposed?

Is the goalkeeping really that poor or is it a lack of organisation in front of the keeper that leaves him exposed?
A disorganised defence doesn't justify parrying a tame shot into the path of the striker and killing off the game. The defence were good until Oxley's mistake anyway so they aren't to blame for his error.

A disorganised defence doesn't justify parrying a tame shot into the path of the striker and killing off the game. The defence were good until Oxley's mistake anyway so they aren't to blame for his error.

A good keeper could have saved 3 of those goals today. Not including the penalty.

Seriously though, we seemed to be doing ok in the 1st half. A mistake and a poor decision and suddenly it all fell apart.

There is nothing that I can say which will make any difference to the result or the way the club is going at the moment. So I will settle for sharing my immediate after match thoughts................Bollocks, just bollocksy bollocks..

On my way back to P'boro now. As others have said the first half was fairly even but we didn't look at all like scoring. Oxley was terrible and once that goal went in we just fell apart.

Mention for Thompson who made loads of headed clearances and Mcglashin who seemed to at least try and make something happen.

One positive note is the amazing away support I was able to show off to my non Southend supporting mates. Great effort from all in attendance (apart from the guy who was clearly plastered and puked 25 minutes in)

Back