• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If we are talking about Northampton's chances for promotion this year then I would have to question the decision to allow Coventry to play at the Sixfields ground. You can see the effect that extra wear on a pitch had at Huddersfield for example and a poor or wet autumn, winter and/or spring could be a factor - particularly if winning regularly at home is required.

Even if the manager has a penchant for the more direct style, a goodish pitch can help.

As for the game on Saturday on the billiard surface that is Roots Hall, I am more worried about that lump of a defender Langmead.

I can understand the extra wear on the pitch will not be ideal. But last year our pitch was beyond horrific as we got all our games on when most other teams called theres off. Our pitch was an absolute nightmare, but we seemed to cope quite well. I dont know if Cov will be paying towards the pitch being relaid, but regardless I dont think we would have time to relay it midseason with all the games that will be played. Sadly Langmead is out injured, still at least 6 weeks away from fitness. Shame, he was our third top scorer last year from centre back!

Our pitch was horrible last year when we got all of our games on despite the horrific weather. I personally shall not be going to any Coventry games, I don't really want them playing here and any money that I pay on entrance just goes straight to their crooked owners.

I also love Kelvin Langmead, he's scored some massive goals and I think won our player of the year. It should be a big loss but I'm hoping for a bit more defensive stability this week. Last week, Matt Heath was injured in the warm up and pulled out 5 minutes before the game, which meant our defence was reshuffled a lot just before the game. Don't expect such a ropey start this week.

Yeah hopefully the back 4 are more settled early doors on saturday. We were all over the shop first 15 mins against Newport, could of been 3 down if it wasnt for DUUUUUUKE

Best keeper in the league is Dukey imo.

Maybe for the time being, but I seriously suggest you keep an eye on Dan Bentley on Saturday. I said to a friend of mine a few months back that he's the new Joe Hart, and since then Phil Brown has said he expects him to play for England one day, and has recommended him to Peter Taylor, England U20 coach.

Our pitch was horrible last year when we got all of our games on despite the horrific weather. I personally shall not be going to any Coventry games, I don't really want them playing here and any money that I pay on entrance just goes straight to their crooked owners.

I also love Kelvin Langmead, he's scored some massive goals and I think won our player of the year. It should be a big loss but I'm hoping for a bit more defensive stability this week. Last week, Matt Heath was injured in the warm up and pulled out 5 minutes before the game, which meant our defence was reshuffled a lot just before the game. Don't expect such a ropey start this week.

I don't want to get all geeky on you here, but because the cold weather lasted all through March it wouldn't have mattered. Grass doesn't grow when the soil temperature is below 6-7C. In normal seasons any damage caused through December, January and early February usually repairs itself when the temperatures rise. Because that didn't happen last season no pitches repaired themselves. I don't remember seeing any decent pitches in the lower leagues towards the end of the season. What made it worse was that the season finished so early!

This is also where under soil heating helps. It doesn't just have to be used to **** snow and thaw a frozen pitch, it can also be used to artificially keep the soil warm and allow the grass to grow.

Edit: Why has the swear filter removed the word "m e l t"?

I don't want to get all geeky on you here, but because the cold weather lasted all through March it wouldn't have mattered. Grass doesn't grow when the soil temperature is below 6-7C. In normal seasons any damage caused through December, January and early February usually repairs itself when the temperatures rise. Because that didn't happen last season no pitches repaired themselves. I don't remember seeing any decent pitches towards the latter end of the season. What made it worse was that the season finished so early!

This is also where under soil heating helps. It doesn't just have to be used to **** snow and thaw a frozen pitch, it can also be used to artificially keep the soil warm and allow the grass to grow.

Probably not best to follow with information on soil:smile:! That being said thats interesting stuff! I will agree with my fellow cobblers fan though that playing our games when the others were called off did make the pitch far worse. It was so boggy in the areas all the players congregated (middle of the pitch was fine!). Im curious to see how we manage with 46 league + cup games on our turf this year!

Its a relief to have sensible football conversation! Our forum drives me crazy, quite a few people are getting on Aidy Boothroyds back, some saying they dont think he will last this season. HE SAVED US FROM RELEGATION AND GOT US TO THE PLAYOFF FINAL. What more do people want?

No offence, and i'm not saying your wrong! but I think you'll find the answer is promotion. Most fans expect the manager to get the team promoted every season. After saving you from relegation and getting you to the playoff final, which is probably more than most cobblers fans expected (as i said, no offence), i for one, if i was a northampton fan, would be proud to have Boothroyd as the clubs manager!

No offence, and i'm not saying your wrong! but I think you'll find the answer is promotion. Most fans expect the manager to get the team promoted every season. After saving you from relegation and getting you to the playoff final, which is probably more than most cobblers fans expected (as i said, no offence), i for one, if i was a northampton fan, would be proud to have Boothroyd as the clubs manager!

This is true. I think the manner of our defeat at Wembley (didnt have a shot on target), our continually poor away form, and the fact that the style of football we play is not amazing means Aidy is not everyones cup of tea. That being said im 100% behind him! Huge upturn in quality since he arrived without spending money on transfers. Has made Sixfields a fortress, and made us a force in this division. But you cant expect promotion IMO unless you are fleetwood or cheltenham who really have gone for it this year!

This is true. I think the manner of our defeat at Wembley (didnt have a shot on target), our continually poor away form, and the fact that the style of football we play is not amazing means Aidy is not everyones cup of tea. That being said im 100% behind him! Huge upturn in quality since he arrived without spending money on transfers. Has made Sixfields a fortress, and made us a force in this division. But you cant expect promotion IMO unless you are fleetwood or cheltenham who really have gone for it this year!

Cheltenham? Do you mean Chesterfield? :smile:

I do mean Chesterfield! Cheltenham were dealt a huge blow with Cureton being out for 2 months.

Are you sure you are a Northampton fan? You seem to be exhibiting far too much common sense and joie de vivre. Shouldn't you be at your last mending some leather?

It's 2 week factory shut down at the moment so we're all boarding our horse and carriages and heading down!

Plus it was the rain that ruined the pitch first off, not the cold weather!

Would like to add my support for my fellow Cobbler and his view on ADB. I think he's done and continues to do a fantastic job, his recruitment has been spot on!

Well, at least no Akinfenwa to score against us, but Roy O'Donovan will probably do so instead. Didn't he score a hat-trick against us when he was at Hartlepool or was that another ex-loanee?

He did indeed, his only hat-trick in professional football. And he has scored twice in a single game only once as well, six weeks later when Hartlepool beat Colchester 3-1, a game in which John White was substituted just after O'Donovan's second goal.

Roy O'Donovan does seem to be on a bit of a goalscoring run at the moment, though. He has scored in each of Northampton's last two matches and, including the end of last season, he has scored 5 in his last 8 games.

Thanks guys, I wish I could guarantee the same level of respect for the reverse fixture if you were to venture onto our forum. But im certain it would descend into a slagging off match! As for Roy O'Donovon he has been a real find for us. I think hes been at clubs in the premiership, championship and league 1 but never really got game time anywhere. Other than Hartlepool on loan where he banged in 9 in 15 I think. I think with a pre-season under his belt he could be a real talisman for us. At 66/1 great odds on league topscorer, high work rate, good technique, always on the move, sort of like a faster Paul Dickov (but less annoying).

It's 2 week factory shut down at the moment so we're all boarding our horse and carriages and heading down!

Plus it was the rain that ruined the pitch first off, not the cold weather!

Would like to add my support for my fellow Cobbler and his view on ADB. I think he's done and continues to do a fantastic job, his recruitment has been spot on!

But the cold weather is what stopped the pitch repairing itself...

Back