• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cobblers

Schoolboy
Hi Guys, Cobblers fan in Peace!

Thought I would try and gain a little insight before our game on saturday, this week is already dragging without any midweek football!

I wasnt to sure how you guys would fare early doors, but seems so far so good! Hows Phil Brown done since hes come in? He is often mocked by fans for being tango'd etc but I would of thought hes a decent manager with some contacts for this level. Obviously losing Clohessy and Cresswell (for crazy money!) are going to effect you, but looks like you have been tight at the back so far! What sort of team should we expect to be coming up against and who will be your dangermen? Is Eastwood still up to it, obviously a name that jumps out from your teamsheet.

Im really looking forward to the game, as our away form was DIRE last season, this was only one of four away wins last year, but we did play against 10 men for 70 minutes after Moshni went all karate on Chris Hackett. Obviously we need to a significant upturn this year if we want to push for automatic promotion.

Our Starting XI

Duke
Amankwaah Tozer Collins Widdowson
Morris Carter Deegan Emerton
O'Donovon Blyth

We have had a serious player turnover since last year, over half the starting XI were not with us last year. We were fairly labelled a long ball team last year, however we are trying to play a lot more football this year. Sadly we are missing our captain CB Kelvin Langmead, best attacking player in RM Chris Hackett and several others out injured. We are seriously lacking height in the starting XI ATM. We beat Newport 3-1 at home on Saturday, but we honestly could of lost 6-3. Duke made several outstanding saves, mostly coming from crosses into the box. Its bizarre we are chalk and cheese this year from set plays, had no worries last year, this year im petrified everytime it comes into the box!

Two Players to Watch:
Roy O'Donovon. Started the season well with 2 goals so far. Scored 6 in 16 when not really match after joining in January. Has played at a higher level most of his career without really getting much game time. A real pest of a striker, runs all day, decent pace, good finisher. Does a great job for the team, fancy him to get over 20 goals this year, hopefully the replacement for Bayos goals!

Lee Collins: Slightly odd some may think for picking a centre back but this guy has serious quality. Was playing championship football with Barnsley, however had a brush with the law and was released. Currently has a curfew but signed a 2 year deal with us. Clearly better than league 2 level, happy to bring the ball out from the back instead of the usual hoofers we are used to. Slightly smaller than expected for a CB but a real warrior, danger from set pieces aswell.

Hoping we will have Clive Platt and Chris Hackett fit enough to take a place on the bench as we are relying on youngsters to fill the bench atm.

Head says 1-1. Heart says 1-2.

Any questions feel free to ask!

cheers!

O'Donovon was with us on loan for a short spell if its the same guy but I remember Steve Tilson trying to sign several times so we clearly wanted him a few years ago.

Eastwood is still a decent player but no where near as good as he used to be, he scored last weekend so hopefully he will be full of confidence. I would personally say our main dangerman is Corr, always pops up with goals and I would think he should definitely get 20 goals this season as long as he doesn't get injured. Although he got a red card last week which is being appealed so I have no idea whether he will be playing or not.

Our back fours looking pretty solid but two clean sheets out of two so would be great to keep another one.

I think we will win 2-1.

Thank you cobblers, a great post and great insight into where Northampton are at the moment. You will see the hardest working Southend team for many a Year. It's like we are playing with 12 Men at the moment, as we are full of runners. Very solid as our midfielders support our defence so well. Only downside is that we are not creating nowhere near enough chances, but thankfully, we don't need many with our strikers. I'm sure Phil Brown is aware of this, and once we start unlocking defences more, someone's going to get a hiding. It could be you, Lol. :winking:

If your more of a workmanlike team, then we could be in for a drab 0-0 as we are very negative away from home! Hoping this will begin to change, especially with our new loan striker Jacob Blyth who looked very good on debut meaning we can play 2 up top. I seem to remember Barry Corr playing at Centre Back against us last year in this game, correct me if im wrong though! Have the fans been won over by Phil Brown yet? Also whats the deal with your finances atm? hopefully no more issues on the horizion!

If your more of a workmanlike team, then we could be in for a drab 0-0 as we are very negative away from home! Hoping this will begin to change, especially with our new loan striker Jacob Blyth who looked very good on debut meaning we can play 2 up top. I seem to remember Barry Corr playing at Centre Back against us last year in this game, correct me if im wrong though! Have the fans been won over by Phil Brown yet? Also whats the deal with your finances atm? hopefully no more issues on the horizion!

Yeah he had to drop back when that phuckin idiot Mohsni was sent off.

I think Brown is winning the fans over. To be honest I think most people reacted badly to him more because of the way Sturrock was sacked. I didn't like the reputation he come with, but he's done some very positive things & signed what looks to be some very good players, plus he's got Straker playing with new belief as well. From what I've seen against QPR (friendly) & Plymouth, all bodes well on the pitch, off it, well that's another matter lol

Good to hear all is looking good on the pitch, I prefer Southend to a lot of other clubs at this level! Realistically then what your expectations for this year, push for a play off spot? Im hoping we can sneak a top 3 finish, but with the cash Fleetwood and Chesterfield seem to have it could prove to be difficult!

I know it's a bit off topic but what do the cobblers fans think of Coventry sharing sixfields? I know Coventry fans are furious but what do you guys make of it? Must mean the pitch will wear quicker into the season.

For what its worth, i think you have one of the best keepers in the division. League 1 keeper at worst.

I know it's a bit off topic but what do the cobblers fans think of Coventry sharing sixfields? I know Coventry fans are furious but what do you guys make of it? Must mean the pitch will wear quicker into the season.

We would rather they play in Coventry to be honest! Initially I along with many others thought of the extra cash (six figure sum) we are going to get each year. The state of the pitch wasnt really a concern as we didnt play any football on it last year, the ball was in the air all game! However a lot of Coventry fans seem to be venting there anger towards our club now, when in fairness we havnt really done that much wrong. The owners want to find them somewhere else to play, we have said, pay us and come here. I wouldnt want to go to Coventry to watch us every other week so I can sympathise. My concern is that there gonna go mental and wreck the stadium, but then again so few people are attending due to them protesting that wont likely happen. Overall an unsavoury affair, I want my club to benefit, but Coventry should play in Coventry. Were being sued by the Coventry stadium owners as we speak aswell, apparently it has no legal grounding but still unpleasant. To top it all off our ground is due to be redeveloped this year to take the capacity up to 11kish, with a hotel, office space etc. All of this has been massively overshadowed, and the capacity will be reduced in the meantime. All very bizarre!

Thanks for the mention about Duke aswell, he has been our MOM twice already, very vocal and great shot stopper, very safe pair of hands!

Welcome to the forum cobblers, very insightful post, thanks.

As for us, our probably starting line up (for me at least will be the following):

Bentley - Done well in the last two games, has looked assured, made some smart saves and kept two clean sheets. A good young keeper (20 years of age) with a bright future in the game, Phil Brown tipped him to play for England.

White - A good right back for this level, solid defensively & can kick with either foot. Unlikely to go round a man but will play his part.
Phillips - A quality centre back once upon a time, still good for this level, good in the air, not the quickest though. Had a good couple of opening games.
Prosser - Good in the air and pretty solid
Coker - Brought in from non-league Histon over the summer, lots of energy and likes to get forward, links well with Straker.

Atkinson - Works as hard as anyone, solid defensively and runs at defenders going forward.
Leonard - Had a very good couple of games, puts his body on the line and has a decent long shot.
Laird - Makes the midfield tick, will put his foot in and get forward as much as he can. Main man in midfield.
Straker - Had a pretty woeful season for us last year at LB, but has been rejuvenated and is a new man playing left midfield. Got some pace and high on confidence, still honing his final delivery.

Eastwood - Not quite the same player as he was when he was with us before, but still got the skill and touch of a player much higher than league two. Puts himself about and is a strong lad, waiting to see whether he can recapture his goal scoring form we were used to.
Corr (if appeal is successful) - A real talisman for us, puts himself about, good on the ground and wins most headers in the air. Often pops up in just the right place and is quite clinical.

Reid/Cowan (if appeal is unsuccessful) - If the appeal is unsuccessful, then either of the new signing's will probably start. Craig Reid was quite prolific in non-league but struggled to find his feet in league football, still an unknown for now. Don Cowan is seemingly a powerful forward with some pace, not prolific at previous clubs but will weight to judge.

Thanks for the information Fredheim, its crazy how the starting 11's at this level change so much season to season, we played you at Sixfields at a similar stage last year, these were the starting 11's

• 21 Nicholls
  • 02 Johnson
  • 03 Widdowson Booked
  • 05 Langmead
  • 12 Tozer
  • 18 Artell
  • 04 Guttridge (Akinfenwa - 62' )
  • 08 Harding
  • 11 Hackett
  • 09 Platt
  • 14 Nicholls Booked
[h=3]Southend[/h]
  • 34 Belford
  • 02 Clohessy
  • 06 Cresswell
  • 15 Phillips
  • 16 Prosser
  • 18 Leonard (Barker - 88' )
  • 11 Martin (Hurst - 63' )
  • 12 Ferdinand Booked
  • 19 Spicer Booked
  • 20 Assombalonga
  • 21 Tomlin

How are your midfielders at joining in attacks, one thing we seem to be suspect against is just the straight run down the middle, fortunately our CB's are good on the deck, but its still a concern. Other suspect area for us is set pieces, if youve got many 6'2+ we could have problems!

Thanks for the information Fredheim, its crazy how the starting 11's at this level change so much season to season, we played you at Sixfields at a similar stage last year, these were the starting 11's

• 21 Nicholls
  • 02 Johnson
  • 03 Widdowson Booked
  • 05 Langmead
  • 12 Tozer
  • 18 Artell
  • 04 Guttridge (Akinfenwa - 62' )
  • 08 Harding
  • 11 Hackett
  • 09 Platt
  • 14 Nicholls Booked
[h=3]Southend[/h]
  • 34 Belford
  • 02 Clohessy
  • 06 Cresswell
  • 15 Phillips
  • 16 Prosser
  • 18 Leonard (Barker - 88' )
  • 11 Martin (Hurst - 63' )
  • 12 Ferdinand Booked
  • 19 Spicer Booked
  • 20 Assombalonga
  • 21 Tomlin

How are your midfielders at joining in attacks, one thing we seem to be suspect against is just the straight run down the middle, fortunately our CB's are good on the deck, but its still a concern. Other suspect area for us is set pieces, if youve got many 6'2+ we could have problems!

Out of those we only have 4 still here....

Another Cobblers fan here!

I would add we don't hoof it nearly as much as we used to, we've got some players that have real quality on the ball and like to knock it about. If we sit back we'll lose, if not, we may snatch something.

Have you appealed Corr's red card? Didn't look like much on the FLS

Another Cobblers fan here!

I would add we don't hoof it nearly as much as we used to, we've got some players that have real quality on the ball and like to knock it about. If we sit back we'll lose, if not, we may snatch something.

Have you appealed Corr's red card? Didn't look like much on the FLS

We have appealed against BBBC'S (Corr's) red card and we are awaiting a reply as we speak

Id estimate around 600 of us will head down for saturdays game.
Regarding Amankwaah, hes an odd player, looks a bit cumbersomb at times. That being said he has actually started really well for us, has enough pace to deal with a lot of wingers and has done really well in the tackle!

Back