• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OFFICIAL: Barry Corr's red card has been overturned and he will be available for selection for this Saturday's game against Northampton.

Thanks for the information Fredheim, its crazy how the starting 11's at this level change so much season to season, we played you at Sixfields at a similar stage last year, these were the starting 11's

• 21 Nicholls
  • 02 Johnson
  • 03 Widdowson Booked
  • 05 Langmead
  • 12 Tozer
  • 18 Artell
  • 04 Guttridge (Akinfenwa - 62' )
  • 08 Harding
  • 11 Hackett
  • 09 Platt
  • 14 Nicholls Booked
[h=3]Southend[/h]
  • 34 Belford
  • 02 Clohessy
  • 06 Cresswell
  • 15 Phillips
  • 16 Prosser
  • 18 Leonard (Barker - 88' )
  • 11 Martin (Hurst - 63' )
  • 12 Ferdinand Booked
  • 19 Spicer Booked
  • 20 Assombalonga
  • 21 Tomlin

How are your midfielders at joining in attacks, one thing we seem to be suspect against is just the straight run down the middle, fortunately our CB's are good on the deck, but its still a concern. Other suspect area for us is set pieces, if youve got many 6'2+ we could have problems!
It's true teams change quickly down here. That said 3/4 of our midfielders were with us last season, and with Corr's red card overturned both strikers too. Our probable centre back partnership and keeper have been here for a while, it's just the two new full backs and a winger for us.

Our midfielders are decent at joining in attacks, Laird especially. Leonard gets forward when he can and will have a go, Atkinson seems to have a trick or two but is a more workmanlike midfielder from what I've seen, and Straker has done well so far.

Regarding big men, Mark Phillips is quite handy at corners and Barry Corr will beat most centre backs in the air. Laird and Leonard aren't small in the centre of the park either, but neither normally a threat from set pieces in the air.

What do you guys think about Guttridge leaving? I was at your playoff final last year with a friend and he showed he still have that lower league Paul Scholes look about him. Had a great few years here with us back in the day.

I was sad to see gutts leave, as were most fans I think. He was dropped last year which culminated in a loss of form for us. Has an eye for a pass and loves a tackle! That being said I think carter and deegan are perhaps a step up. I really like deegan who also puts his foot in. Luton have a very good player on there hands for that level. Can't deny gutts a 2 year deal elsewhere. Think he was offered reduced terms with us so all the best to him.

1-0 to someone going by past results. Would like a win and I'll guess 3-1

:thumbsup:What a pleasant change it makes to have input from opposition supporters. This thread has encouraged discussion about football rather than who we hate, love or loathe on the Southend team! More please.

...and there was me thinking what a reasoned, rational thread this is/was

I merely commented that each time I have seen him he is useless yet he keep getting clubs. Not had a go at the Cobblers fans - just saying he is generally poor.

Reminds me of the biggest kids when you are at school who gets away with being useless as he is bigger and faster than most yet technically poor.

I was sad to see gutts leave, as were most fans I think. He was dropped last year which culminated in a loss of form for us. Has an eye for a pass and loves a tackle! That being said I think carter and deegan are perhaps a step up. I really like deegan who also puts his foot in. Luton have a very good player on there hands for that level. Can't deny gutts a 2 year deal elsewhere. Think he was offered reduced terms with us so all the best to him.
That sounds about right. Definitely good enough for league two, Luton have done well with him signing up.

:thumbsup:What a pleasant change it makes to have input from opposition supporters. This thread has encouraged discussion about football rather than who we hate, love or loathe on the Southend team! More please.

I hate Northampton.

Not as much as I do. The reason doesn't really have anything to do with the club or its fans. It's because my mum lived there until she married my dad. The only time she supports Northampton is when they beat Southend. Other than that she shows no interest, and it really annoys me. You would have thought I'd got over it by now, being 43 an' all!

I'm still traumatised from the 80's when Northampton used to come down & beat us 4-0 every year (a couple of times anyway) - they had a hell of a team then .
Since then I recall one or two unconvincing wins for us & also a couple of draws -particularly a 2-2 a couple of years ago when we were 2 up.
Hopefully we can keep the performance levels up & get a win - having Bazza available is a welcome boost.
Won't be the same without Akinfenwa.

Well, at least no Akinfenwa to score against us, but Roy O'Donovan will probably do so instead. Didn't he score a hat-trick against us when he was at Hartlepool or was that another ex-loanee?

I'm going for a 2-1 win to us, confidence will be high and boosted by Corr's red being over-turned. Brown is definitely winning fans over and the team is looking to play some decent football when possible. There's some real skill in evidence on the pitch these days, from lots of players.

600 is a bit optimistic I'd say! Think we'd bring about 400 personally.

Sad to see Gutts go, especially after his thronker away at Cheltenham in the Playoff semi's, But I think Deegan is a step up from him, and Luton have a top player at that level! Akinfenwa had to go in the summer for me, highest earner and didn't pull his weight from January-April.

Amankwaah is also fast becoming my favourite player too! Tackles solidly enough but when he attempts to get forward he makes me chuckle. One crunching tackle at the weekend followed up by a ropey pass to our winger summed him up.

I'm sure it'll be a good game, and I'm a bit less confident now Big Bad Barry Corr has had his Big Bad Ban overturned.

We're gonna thash u 1-0 BIG BAD BARRY CORR to score , once u get one u get more, there'll be a commotion once we get promotion and come southend and scoreeeeeeeee, one more :thumbsup:

Would fancy us to win a tight game on current form. Your away form under Hoofroyd wasn't great and certainly last seasons win was lucky due to mad frog getting sent off and Smith having one of his mares in goal. Not saying your a bad side, but would fancy us at home. Going for a 1-0 to the Shrimpers.

Yeah cant deny that our away form is horrific under Aidy. We have now won 13 out of 14 at home, but cant win away for love nor money! Also cant deny that last year we were second best despite Moshni doing his best to gift us 3 points. That being said I still fancy us to get something out of saturday. May only be 1 point, but win your home games and draw away and thatsa recipe for promotion!

Think this game will be more of an indicator about our season ahead. Plymouth & Hartlepool won't be challenging for promotion but I expect Northampton to be up there.

Back