• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have enjoyed massive success during the last decade or so.

Mid table security will always be the aim once you reach above your weight,look at the prem,it has 4 mini leagues,is that really sport or just the richest rule.

No set of supporters will ever accept that.

Curbishley is the perfect example, turned Charlton into a good Premiership side yet fans got on his back when he started finishing 6th. He left and they dropped like a stone.

Indeed, but to get above your weight you need to gamble on players - sometimes it works (Goater) sometimes it doesn't (Harris, Freedman).

Not always. We achieved promotion last season as did Burton and we spent less than Northampton, Portsmouth, Luton etc.

If i owned the club at RH,I would guarantee the effing South TBar was open minimum.

OK. So for that you'll need at least a couple of staff, some power, some stock, some insurance, doubtless some health & safety risk assessments and the like done. Not sure what all that will cost, but you then have 20 mins before the game and 15 mins at half time to flog as much stuff as you can to make it all worthwhile. It will have customers for 60 minutes, 23 times a season if you're LUCKY.

How much money do you think you'll make?
Would you invest your own money in something like that?

OK. So for that you'll need at least a couple of staff, some power, some stock, some insurance, doubtless some health & safety risk assessments and the like done. Not sure what all that will cost, but you then have 20 mins before the game and 15 mins at half time to flog as much stuff as you can to make it all worthwhile. It will have customers for 60 minutes, 23 times a season if you're LUCKY.

How much money do you think you'll make?
Would you invest your own money in something like that?

I understand the tbar has been condemned ?,but i cannot understand why if it sold cold drinks,sandwiches pre packed,sweets and chocs,crisps and such like.

Assume each game 50 fans spent £3 each,150 in total with probable profit around 35%,deduct vat and one person paid a tenner..profit 30x23=£690 over the season.

I reckon far more than 50 fans would use it.

No set of supporters will ever accept that.

Curbishley is the perfect example, turned Charlton into a good Premiership side yet fans got on his back when he started finishing 6th. He left and they dropped like a stone.

Charlton fans had enough warnings but they thought the grass was greener,I reckon if you asked Bournemouth fans their target for the next 5 years,their answer would be survive in the prem.

Not always. We achieved promotion last season as did Burton and we spent less than Northampton, Portsmouth, Luton etc.

Is League 1 above our weight? I'd say no, but the Championship definitely is and if (or when) we do go up, we'd need to invest in players because very few of our current squad are Championship quality.....and thats when the gamble begins. It went wrong for Tilly.

Or is it a good financial investment to buy that star centre forward that'll push you over the £3m that'll help you get promotion where you COULD get an income of £5M in the division above, or do you tread water despite the fans being on your back for hovering around mid table?

Any football chairman will laugh at your wild generalisations.
i know one that would!

Is League 1 above our weight? I'd say no, but the Championship definitely is and if (or when) we do go up, we'd need to invest in players because very few of our current squad are Championship quality.....and thats when the gamble begins. It went wrong for Tilly.
peter Clarke cost us a million don't you remember ?

I understand the tbar has been condemned ?,but i cannot understand why if it sold cold drinks,sandwiches pre packed,sweets and chocs,crisps and such like.

Assume each game 50 fans spent £3 each,150 in total with probable profit around 35%,deduct vat and one person paid a tenner..profit 30x23=£690 over the season.

I reckon far more than 50 fans would use it.

The South Upper fans that would use it already use the food bar in the Family Enclosure, they all walk round, its near enough at the end of their stand.

Charlton fans had enough warnings but they thought the grass was greener,I reckon if you asked Bournemouth fans their target for the next 5 years,their answer would be survive in the prem.

If you asked Charlton fans the first year they would have said survival. If Bournemouth survive for 5 years their expectations will rise just as Charltons did and they too will be demanding more.

No set of fans will accept standing still, common sense and logic doesn't apply when it comes to supporting a team.

Unless all other teams in the division do the same thing, the following will happen to the majority of teams that followed this model.

• Clear out players and staff that you can no longer afford (assuming you can get rid of them )
  • Buy 'cheaper' players, manager and employee cheaper staff
  • Loose matches
  • Crowds fall and supporters call on chairman to invest in players
  • Chairman can not afford to invest in players becasue he i running to a budget
  • Get relegated as your players are not as good as everyone elses
  • Start season on even lower budget than last season due to reduced league payouts, smaller crowds, less chance of cup runs
  • Repeat all of the above

You forgot:
  • Sack the manager

Because it will be his fault.

If i owned the club at RH,I would guarantee the effing South TBar was open minimum.

To get it open would need massive investment as it fails totally to meet H&S requirements, there is now no chance that this will be open again. It has been suggested many times to have mobile refreshment supplies but consensus is that people seem to be coping ok with what is available. The club is hardly going to waste money if it doesn't need to.

Very true,

Many on here believe once FF has been built then this club will rocket onto the top table of football ,playing regular Euro games and winning at least the FA cup.

Real world

We are and always will be a small town club,we may have a season or two in the second level and that is it,unless a super rich owner enters the fray,then anything is possible.

Swansea city average attendance 1996 was 2 996 as recent as 2001 it was only 4 913

So I dont see why it is so impossible.

Swansea city average attendance 1996 was 2 996 as recent as 2001 it was only 4 913

Swansea has a whole have a average population of 241,300 And southend as a whole has an average population of 160,000 thats quite a big difference.

peter Clarke cost us a million don't you remember ?

And Marshy was'nt exactly £500,000's worth of value for money in the mid 90,s either! ( a club record breaker at the time & probably around £2 million in todays money.. 20 years later)

Swansea are a city club with no other club nearby and as Bill explained have a bigger population .

Meanwhile we have to contend with the likes of

Arsenal
Spurs
Palace
Chelsea
Westham
QPR
Orient
to name a few.

To get it open would need massive investment as it fails totally to meet H&S requirements, there is now no chance that this will be open again. It has been suggested many times to have mobile refreshment supplies but consensus is that people seem to be coping ok with what is available. The club is hardly going to waste money if it doesn't need to.

As I said above, everyone uses the food bar at the top of the Family Enclosure anyway so its not like no body in the south stand can spend money.

Its not ideal and it can be busy but plenty of people from the South Stand do use it. So the amount of people who don't actually use the catering must be fairly low and certainly cant see it being worthwhile

Back