• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chalky

Coach
If anyone wants to do their good deed for today heres your chance. Northampton Town trust have set up a crowd funding page in the hope of raising £100,000 to give the club some breathing space somewhat. Or help pay a bill. Im not entirely sure but I know if they reach the target it will help the club move forwards. And us Shrimpers know what its like so if you wish to help heres the link:thumbsup:

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/ntfctrust

I still cannot fathom out the way many clubs are run,I mean how tough can it be to run any small club with a tiny profit?

Total ST sales,add other projected revenue streams ,match day ticket sales.

Divide the amount to staff ,players ,rent ,rates, tax and other bills.

honestyisthebestpolicy.

I still cannot fathom out the way many clubs are run,I mean how tough can it be to run any small club with a tiny profit?

honestyisthebestpolicy.

Have you done it then MB? Wow, just wow...is there no end to your talents?

honestyisthebestpolicy.

Very tough. The whole point of a football club is to compete. Merely jogging along at some level way down the pyramid is as much as many have the inclination/aspiration for but most want to improve their league standing/status. Their fans often dream of it and many expect it.

If, mrsblue, you think it is easy, then I assume your business acumen is learned from last three pages of your 'how to manage a team' manual. Both things seem easy to you. How do you think you would do running the country? I expect you believe that is easy too and is probably outlined on the back cover of your manual.

Very tough. The whole point of a football club is to compete. Merely jogging along at some level way down the pyramid is as much as many have the inclination/aspiration for but most want to improve their league standing/status. Their fans often dream of it and many expect it.

If, mrsblue, you think it is easy, then I assume your business acumen is learned from last three pages of your 'how to manage a team' manual. Both things seem easy to you. How do you think you would do running the country? I expect you believe that is easy too and is probably outlined on the back cover of your manual.

Common sense only !

Assume a club has a total income of 3 million,

A,is it prudent to remain within that budget
B,or overspend by 500k

Every club is run as a business yet somehow they are never run as other companies are.

The fans are the only losers.

I actually do agree with you to some extent Mrsblue. But not entirely though as there are a lot of other factors as well. But on BT sport I watched a documentary about Business side of things in football. Like how Darlington and Rushden & Diamonds and other football clubs just fell apart. And cut a long story short the owners of clubs with low budgets said exactly what you just put in your post to stay afloat.

But as I and others have said there a lot other factors and not quite as simple as that. But you sort of are on the right page.

I suggest Bill that some owners like to show losses for their own aims.

Common sense only !

B,or overspend by 500k

Every club is run as a business yet somehow they are never run as other companies are.

Or is it a good financial investment to buy that star centre forward that'll push you over the £3m that'll help you get promotion where you COULD get an income of £5M in the division above, or do you tread water despite the fans being on your back for hovering around mid table?

Any football chairman will laugh at your wild generalisations.

Indeed they do. Many are totally unrealistic in what their club can achieve. Northampton only have themselves to blame as they made the decision to paid out big money whilst in L2. I know we have been their but at least like Yeovil it was because we ended up in the championship.

I know people will want promotion this year but without the new stadium we would be destined to failure. No surprise that the teams with the least money finished bottom of the championship. Followed by more misery as you have to dump all your high earners on free transfers.

Or is it a good financial investment to buy that star centre forward that'll push you over the £3m that'll help you get promotion where you COULD get an income of £5M in the division above, or do you tread water despite the fans being on your back for hovering around mid table?

Any football chairman will laugh at your wild generalisations.

Buying expensive players have never guaranteed success,look at Bolton with their crippling debts.

Assume this forward you have just blown the budget on
Gets injured
Poor form
Total flop( see SUFC for further examples)

What would you do then,go buy another forward ?

Will be interesting to see how the whole Salford City thing works out in the end. Even with all their wealth, the ex Man Utd guys still got some billionaire from the far east on board. I think they are paying their top player around £400 a week with a couple of others on £300. Even with all this publicity, they still only get crowds of around 250-300, yet their dream is league status.

Indeed they do. Many are totally unrealistic in what their club can achieve. Northampton only have themselves to blame as they made the decision to paid out big money whilst in L2. I know we have been their but at least like Yeovil it was because we ended up in the championship.

I know people will want promotion this year but without the new stadium we would be destined to failure. No surprise that the teams with the least money finished bottom of the championship. Followed by more misery as you have to dump all your high earners on free transfers.

Very true,

Many on here believe once FF has been built then this club will rocket onto the top table of football ,playing regular Euro games and winning at least the FA cup.

Real world

We are and always will be a small town club,we may have a season or two in the second level and that is it,unless a super rich owner enters the fray,then anything is possible.

Buying expensive players have never guaranteed success,look at Bolton with their crippling debts.

Assume this forward you have just blown the budget on
Gets injured
Poor form
Total flop( see SUFC for further examples)

What would you do then,go buy another forward ?

All about risk. Should we not go for promotion or float around League 1 forever? Football players are ambitious and the good ones (Piggy/Timlin for example) will probably leave for a club that is gunning for promotion, leaving the club possibly facing relegation where that £3M will become £1M.

Common sense only !

B,or overspend by 500k

Naive. If you stay within budget, unless the budget is supported by a backer, then there is little opportunity for growth. Stagnation is a retrograde step in all things.
Our ground, used averagely once a fortnight, will never produce the income a club of our size needs. Add to that the bills for maintenance, wage increases and a myriad of factors that blight every business, and you have a deficit.
Other companies, you refer to, will often spend beyond income, in line with projections, to engender growth/change.
Sorry mrsblue but winning a game of Monopoly does not make you a businessperson.

Are they football clubs that are there to achieve promotions, develop players, entertain crowds etc, or are they businesses that exist to make a profit ?

All about risk. Should we not go for promotion or float around League 1 forever?

But fans are never satisfied ,

Scenario,Ron gives Phil the war chest containing several million which is then spent wisely,we win this division and next season win the championship,in the prem we are found out losing every game 5 0,fans after just a few games will be calling for Phil to be sacked and Ron either pumps in billions for Billy big balls or Ron can also do one.its bloody crazy.

Naive. If you stay within budget, unless the budget is supported by a backer, then there is little opportunity for growth. Stagnation is a retrograde step in all things.
Our ground, used averagely once a fortnight, will never produce the income a club of our size needs. Add to that the bills for maintenance, wage increases and a myriad of factors that blight every business, and you have a deficit.
Other companies, you refer to, will often spend beyond income, in line with projections, to engender growth/change.
Sorry mrsblue but winning a game of Monopoly does not make you a businessperson.

Darlington tried your way !

Very true,

Many on here believe once FF has been built then this club will rocket onto the top table of football ,playing regular Euro games and winning at least the FA cup.

Real world

We are and always will be a small town club,we may have a season or two in the second level and that is it,unless a super rich owner enters the fray,then anything is possible.

Building FF may offer us more opportunity to reach a higher level of success and sustain it. It may not. One thing for sure is we would definitely go to the wall if our long-term future were to be at RH.

As for 'small town club', we are not. The size of the town and ever growing catchment is on a par with many clubs more successful than ours. There is plenty of room for growth and improvement for us.

But fans are never satisfied ,

Scenario,Ron gives Phil the war chest containing several million which is then spent wisely,we win this division and next season win the championship,in the prem we are found out losing every game 5 0,fans after just a few games will be calling for Phil to be sacked and Ron either pumps in billions for Billy big balls or Ron can also do one.its bloody crazy.

It absolutely is, I agree but who doesn't dream of SUFC playing in The Premiership? Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Bournemouth...All once similar sized clubs to us who have (and still do).

Back