• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Norway v Spain

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Saw Spain cruise past Norway last night 1-0 .Imagine the jocks were hoping that Norway could get some sort of result (unlikely since they've never beaten Spain in a full International,apparently.Spain will almost certainly go onto to top the group given that they've got home gmes against Cyprus and Georgia to come.Bit academic really since Scotland also qualified with this result.

Imagine the jocks were hoping that Norway could get some sort of result
You'd have imagined wrong, you'd be hard pressed to have found a Scotsman that wasn't cheering Spain on last night. The Scots know that on a bad day (especially under pressure) they could easily lose to both Norway and Georgia, which would have seen them knocked out if Norway beat Spain, they'll happily take the safety of qualification now even if it means they finish 2nd in the group.

You'd have imagined wrong, you'd be hard pressed to have found a Scotsman that wasn't cheering Spain on last night. The Scots know that on a bad day (especially under pressure) they could easily lose to both Norway and Georgia, which would have seen them knocked out if Norway beat Spain, they'll happily take the safety of qualification now even if it means they finish 2nd in the group.
As you say they will almost certainly finish second in the group.Spain proved the other night(and in Glasgow ) that they're much the better team.Very much a resurgent,new look Spain team these days.I was always struck that almost immmediately after Qatar Spain sacked their boss Luis Enrique whereas England chose to let Southgate decide his own future.Both sides went out at the same stage of the WC in Qatar of course.

Spain were knocked out in the last 16, England were knocked out in the quarters (against a much better side than Morocco as well).
Typically,you would appear to underestimate Morocco's perforamnces in Qater.They certainly proved in the WC that they have a defence to test the finest teams.They used to joke in Spain that "Africa begins at the Pyrénées". Perhaps you'd agree?

While you're quite right to point out that England were eliminated in the QF and Spain in the last 16 my main point was the different reaction to their respective manager's defeats.Luis Enrique lost his job .GS was allowed to mull over his future and will still be in place next summer.Spain's recent resurgence under a hew manager would indicate that the FA made a mistake.

Anyway England will almost certainly get at least the point they need tonight to qualify for Germany,thus joining the merry little band of countries that have qualified with 2 matches still to play.

Typically,you would appear to underestimate Morocco's perforamnces in Qater.They certainly proved in the WC that they have a defence to test the finest teams.They used to joke in Spain that "Africa begins at the Pyrénées". Perhaps you'd agree?
I was going more off the fact the side that knocked Morocco out were the same side that knocked us out, therefore we were knocked out by a side better than Morocco.

While you're quite right to point out that England were eliminated in the QF and Spain in the last 16 my main point was the different reaction to their respective manager's defeats.Luis Enrique lost his job .GS was allowed to mull over his future and will still be in place next summer.Spain's recent resurgence under a hew manager would indicate that the FA made a mistake.

Anyway England will almost certainly get at least the point they need tonight to qualify for Germany,thus joining the merry little band of countries that have qualified with 2 matches still to play.
Good job football isn’t an exact science. Did you predict Morocco would do so well before the tournament, for example? Or that Greece would win the 2004 Euros? Or that Wales would reach the semi-finals of the 2018 Euros? Or that Denmark would win the 1992 Euros despite not actually qualifying?

Regarding managers, GS is second only to Sir Alf Ramsey in terms of achievements at major tournaments. Therefore, why would the FA sack him?

Who would you appoint as GS’ successor? For me Eddie Howe is the only credible candidate but the chances of him leaving Newcastle are very slim.

Good job football isn’t an exact science. Did you predict Morocco would do so well before the tournament, for example? Or that Greece would win the 2004 Euros? Or that Wales would reach the semi-finals of the 2018 Euros? Or that Denmark would win the 1992 Euros despite not actually qualifying?

Regarding managers, GS is second only to Sir Alf Ramsey in terms of achievements at major tournaments. Therefore, why would the FA sack him?

Who would you appoint as GS’ successor?
For me Eddie Howe is the only credible candidate but the chances of him leaving Newcastle are very slim.
No But I did predict France would beat England in the QF.

I've gone on record as sayoing that EH should be appointed Glad we agree about something!

Back