• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nostalgia: it ain't as good as it use to be

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Playing Charlton always seemed to produce a cracking game, so what are your most memorable moments from this fixture over the years?

* Winning 3-0 at the Valley. A teenage Leo Roget made his debut, Steve Tilson (whatever happened to him?) scored with his right foot and whilst we are still jumping up and down and celebrating, Andy Thomson chases a back pass and gets a foot in between the keeper and the defender to make it 3-0. This was around the time we use to celebrate having a shot in an away game.
* An absorbing Christmas encounter at Roots Hall that had everything: goals, sending offs, penalties and I think a 4-2 win.
* After a goalless first half, going 3-0 down at the Valley, drag it back to 3-3 only for Garry Bloody Nelson to set up a Charlton winner
* That talentless lump Carl Leaburn scoring without fail his annual goal
* Dean Austin finally breaking our penalty duck (or was it starting another one?) in a 1-1 draw
* Steve Brown going in goal, and then not having a shot to save
* Chrissy Powell getting picked for England

John Neilson coming on as sub on the left wing and producing possibly the most inept display I've ever seen from a Southend player (and yes that includes Rio Alderton).

- Ending our league record (I think it's still a record??) of consecutive missed penalties in a game where they missed 2. Did anyone actually watch our penalty that day? I recall everyone turning away.
- Seeing Keith Jones out-jump Carl Leaburn for a header.

- Ending our league record (I think it's still a record??) of consecutive missed penalties in a game where they missed 2. Did anyone actually watch our penalty that day? I recall everyone turning away.
- Seeing Keith Jones out-jump Carl Leaburn for a header.

Great call.

I remember that game, we ended our sequence of 7 penalty misses in a row through that Dean Austin penalty then Charlton missed two penalties in the second half!

Also there was 2 sending-offs if I remember rightly, crazy game that was!

I wasn't there but coming back from 3-0 down only to concede a last minute goal at the Valley.

I threw a half a pie at a steward in the 3-0 victory after he ejected a Southend youngster and totally got away with it....Happy times.

interesting how they have developed the club over the last decades -

used to be a ***** 8k if you are lucky club - now a ***** 20k if you are lucky club

my most memorable moment against charlton is nearly being hit by a shot in the south lower during a 1-1 draw, and getting kicked out of the south upper when we went upstairs for the second half, during the mid 90's

interesting how they have developed the club over the last decades -

used to be a ***** 8k if you are lucky club - now a ***** 20k if you are lucky club

Charlton's return to the Valley was a monumental achievement by their supporters.

Go back further, they were a 40K club and on occasions had crowds of over 70k.

They even had 75,000 in the mid seventies .... but that was for The Who.

Playing Charlton always seemed to produce a cracking game, so what are your most memorable moments from this fixture over the years?

* An absorbing Christmas encounter at Roots Hall that had everything: goals, sending offs, penalties and I think a 4-2 win.
* After a goalless first half, going 3-0 down at the Valley, drag it back to 3-3 only for Garry Bloody Nelson to set up a Charlton winner

The christmas encounter was boxing day 1993, several weeks after Judas Fry jumped ship. We ended up with 10 men, they had 9.
The 7 goal thriller which i think was about 1994 saw them score their winner a couple of minutes after we had pulled it back to 3-3.

Back