• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Here's what's on the email this week instead of Revs
Lee Barnard Interview

Whilst there may not have been an influx of players coming through the door at Roots Hall this summer, the improvement in two player’s fitness, Dougie Freedman and Lee Barnard, has felt like two new signings and Blues Insider caught up with Lee to talk about how he hopes to have put his injury troubles behind him, and how it’s been a season of missed opportunities to date.

“It has been a frustrating start to the season,” claimed the prolific striker. “We’ve played well in every game so far and had opportunities to win each and every time we’ve taken to the field, but we sit here with a meagre four points under our belt which has annoyed everyone.

“You can understand it if you haven’t been playing well but we have put in solid performances from the off. We’ve either come up against goalkeepers having the best game of their lives, missed opportunities or been on the end of some questionable refereeing decisions, none more notable than those in the Swindon match last Saturday.

“On a personal level I feel stronger and stronger in each game I’ve played, and hopefully I can put behind me the injuries I’ve suffered to date. Again, my series of injuries have been frustrating as they’ve been a mixture of contact injuries to turning awkwardly on my own in training. All I’ve been able to do is work on what I can to build up my strength and I’m beginning to reap the rewards. I just hope this continues.

“I’m 25 now and hopefully I’m about to get a decent number of goals to my name and start shooting Southend up the league table. This Club means an awful lot to me and I really want to do well for them. Being a local boy, the Blues have been my nearest big club since I was growing up and one I’ve always looked out for, and this affiliation and pride has only grown since I arrived here.”

Lee was also full of praise for fellow strike partner Dougie Freedman:

“I’ve found working and playing alongside Dougie invaluable. Whenever I’ve needed anything he’s been there for me and because he’s so experienced he’s got the answer to every question I’ve ever posed him. I just hope to play in more games with him as I believe we’ll be one of the best strike forces in the division, if we can both keep fit.”

Lee was also quick to dispel the claims in ‘Revelling In It’ that he has a 70 acre garden with its own theme park in it:

“Ha ha, that’s tremendous – I’d have a job as I live in a flat, although I do have a luxury pot plant collection on my balcony!!

“Talking of Alex I’d like to wish him all the best for the future. He was one of my closest friends here at the Club and he was a great character to have around as anyone who reads his blog will testify. On a personal note though it does mean we should win more on the PSP on away games now!!”

Whilst there may not have been an influx of players coming through the door at Roots Hall this summer, the improvement in two player’s fitness, Dougie Freedman and Lee Barnard, has felt like two new signings

That bit made me laugh, I must admit.

decent read, new era Barnards Blog?
the zones a depressing place right now, lets hope for some financial answers soon, some results on the pitch, and some calm...

Someone ask him on Facebook if he'll carry on the blogs from Swindon - just for us.

I need to know what mischieve 'ASBO' is getting up too and this week feels like someone has died without Revs 'Dish of the week'...

Heaven Knows I'm Missing Revs Now...

I wont miss Revs on the pitch, but I already miss his blog

It has really struck me just how much this particular transfer (with the subsequent comments of 'The King of Comedy') has had a hugely upsetting effect on loyal fans who post here. I'm still fairly new to the Zone - less than a year on board - and I have no idea of how Freddy's departure went down, but this has almost seemed to hit some said people like a death in the family. To be honest, I'm generally in the DtS/Rusty/Bobby G camp on this issue - don't know if you've ever been bracketed together like so fellas but your critiques here have been consistent for some time - so I'm not particularly upset by this, though I do agree the PR side could and should have been handled a lot better. My guess is that 'Revs' struck a personal chord with many of you through the blog and due to the effort and honesty in his play. Though I found it hard to concur with many on here about his overrall worth to the team, I had come round to thinking - after watching a few away games this season where the support for Barney was limited - that maybe Revs was the man at the moment to join Barney in attack. Tilly clearly did too, unless this was just a 'shop window' exercise - though I don't think our man possesses such cynicism. So, if this is like a bereavement to some of you guys, you can expect to go through a few stages yet - you've had the anger, shock and denial thus far, though I dare say some of that residual anger will vent itself tomorow night - and next up is likely to be the 'adjustment process' though I guess if you accept the Kubler-Ross theory on bereavement, some of you may still 'search' for Revs on Face Book. You'll know that you've arrived at an integration of your conflicting feelings about his departure when you can smile and weep simultaneously as he's banging in the goals for Swindon...(as if!)...but here's wishing our 'Galloping Gourmet' all the very best and a speedy shift through the gears of the bereavement process for all his fans on here. One day at a time guys...;)

Last edited:
Unable to give you green for the above.........don't know how the site sorts out their distribution? Anyway I think you summed up the feeling of the nation...............well at least Southend, with your comments.
Interesting to look back and see that Revs appeared only for a couple of short, end of the match substitutions until he made a very symmetrical entry and departure. Arrived on the pitch in the 65th against Millwall, then featured in the whole match against Hull, his only ninety minute appearance. He started jast Saturday at Swindon and was subbed after 70 mins. Perhaps he was a last chance to impress in a Carling Cup match that was not considered of prime importance.

Calm down please.... Mario Walsh had a better goal scoring record...

Back