• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I was delighted to see Manchester City lose this weekend. How appalling is that? It made me feel dirty. It is a truly sad man who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to feel anything other than contempt for Roberto Mancini's men. They were well beaten on Saturday by a Hull side assembled on a fraction of their transfer budget and boy, did it feel good to watch.

I don't hold with this view that Manchester City are 'mixing it up' at the top of the table, as if they're plucky upstarts from the backwaters of English football, a modern day Norwich City challenging for Europe by virtue of some Jeremy Goss thunderbolts. They're nothing of the sort. They're a rich man's toy. They're a teenager cheating at Football Manager. For the money they've spent on players and wages, they could have just bought Liverpool from the Americans, shut the club down and sold Anfield off for flats. That would have freed up a place in the Champions League. Actually, I shouldn't have said that, Garry Cook might be reading.

It is Cook who is responsible for much of this ill-will. Their egregious chief executive has just two sub-routines in his decision making process. Plan A, offer lots of money. If Plan A fails advance to Plan B and offer even more money. His summer pursuit of John Terry, and how much fun would last week have been if that deal had gone through, was hilarious. Will you join for 100 grand a week? No? 200 grand a week? Still no? Erm...300 grand a week? Cook makes Peter Ridsdale look like a Methodist accountant.

I miss the real Manchester City. The club whose fans held their heads up even in the shadow of their more successful neighbours. The fans who turned up in their hundreds at Roots Hall in 2006 just because former hero Shaun Goater was retiring and they wanted to see him off properly, regardless of the fact that he actually played for Southend United at the time. They were a proper club, representative of some of the better aspects of the game.

I'd imagine that a man like Cook likes to gaze across his empire every now and then, casting his eyes over everything he has bought. I wonder though, if he ever considers what he has lost.

Nothing recently has given me more pleasure than to watch United knock City out of the Carling Cup, not because City had lost, but because it rammed Cook's words right down his mouth.

What kind of Club Executive gets sloshed in a New York bar popular with City supporters, boasting that the club would easily dispatch of their rivals in the final and go on to reverse the shadow City have been living under? It summed up the Neuveau City in one action.

Special mention to Boateng's strike yesterday... What a hit.

I was delighted to see Manchester City lose this weekend. How appalling is that? It made me feel dirty. It is a truly sad man who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to feel anything other than contempt for Roberto Mancini's men. They were well beaten on Saturday by a Hull side assembled on a fraction of their transfer budget and boy, did it feel good to watch.

I don't hold with this view that Manchester City are 'mixing it up' at the top of the table, as if they're plucky upstarts from the backwaters of English football, a modern day Norwich City challenging for Europe by virtue of some Jeremy Goss thunderbolts. They're nothing of the sort. They're a rich man's toy. They're a teenager cheating at Football Manager. For the money they've spent on players and wages, they could have just bought Liverpool from the Americans, shut the club down and sold Anfield off for flats. That would have freed up a place in the Champions League. Actually, I shouldn't have said that, Garry Cook might be reading.

It is Cook who is responsible for much of this ill-will. Their egregious chief executive has just two sub-routines in his decision making process. Plan A, offer lots of money. If Plan A fails advance to Plan B and offer even more money. His summer pursuit of John Terry, and how much fun would last week have been if that deal had gone through, was hilarious. Will you join for 100 grand a week? No? 200 grand a week? Still no? Erm...300 grand a week? Cook makes Peter Ridsdale look like a Methodist accountant.

I miss the real Manchester City. The club whose fans held their heads up even in the shadow of their more successful neighbours. The fans who turned up in their hundreds at Roots Hall in 2006 just because former hero Shaun Goater was retiring and they wanted to see him off properly, regardless of the fact that he actually played for Southend United at the time. They were a proper club, representative of some of the better aspects of the game.

I'd imagine that a man like Cook likes to gaze across his empire every now and then, casting his eyes over everything he has bought. I wonder though, if he ever considers what he has lost.

Mark me down as a sad man then

ps Love your cheating at Football Manager analogy.

Indeed, the very Richard Dunne whom his defence is missing currently. The same Richard Dunne whose importance he played down in favour of showbiz signings. I'm sure that there are still some old-school City fans who feel uncomfortable with Cook's braggadoccio and wonder what has happened to their club. But maybe the Gallaghers deserve it though...:)

Is it possible to like any side with Craig Bellamy in their ranks? He's a great player, but he must be one of the most hated players in the game. Now there's an idea for a thread ... but I guess we've done that already. :offtopic:

Havern't quite reached the point of hating them yet, after all every club has it's own idiot board member who acts like a tosspot (yes I'm talking about you Geoff King) and most clubs are judged on their fans, not their board - think of Chelsea fans and the first picture that comes to my mind is smug arrogant london types; similarly for Man Utd who seem to pride themselves on having a fan-base where 99% of them have never been to a home game. Or even live in the same part of the country. Or even live in this country. Man City fans are still pretty down-to-earth people.

I'd like to see Man City win something just because of that '35 years' banner Man U put up at Old Trafford. If that isn't taking pleasure at the misfortune of others then I don't know what is. Once City start winning trophys their fans will quckly become odious Mancunian *****, then I'll quite happily hate them.

Havern't quite reached the point of hating them yet, after all every club has it's own idiot board member who acts like a tosspot (yes I'm talking about you Geoff King) and most clubs are judged on their fans, not their board - think of Chelsea fans and the first picture that comes to my mind is smug arrogant london types; similarly for Man Utd who seem to pride themselves on having a fan-base where 99% of them have never been to a home game. Or even live in the same part of the country. Or even live in this country. Man City fans are still pretty down-to-earth people.

I'd like to see Man City win something just because of that '35 years' banner Man U put up at Old Trafford. If that isn't taking pleasure at the misfortune of others then I don't know what is. Once City start winning trophys their fans will quckly become odious Mancunian *****, then I'll quite happily hate them.

Hear, hear. The only one of the big four clubs that I can see could be deemed to be trying to put together a winning squad by vaguely honourable means are Arsenal, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that they're fighting a losing battle in doing so.

That being the case it becomes more a question of the fans to me. Who really deserves to see some success? I still remember the contribution that City's fans made to arguably the greatest day in our club's history, and I've got time for anybody who has chosen to support a club that represents their area and something about them over one that offers such a watered down version of the true football fan experience. I'm not daft enough to think that an extended period of success for City wouldn't see them take their neighbour's mantle as the window licker's choice, but in the short term in would mean that a lot of very decent, loyal fans would get to see the kind of success that the modern Premiership is designed to ensure is not for the likes of them. Of the realistic scenarios, I'll take that over the continuation, ad infinitum, of the status quo any day of the week.

They're a teenager cheating at Football Manager.

Vintage stuff, Slip - pure vintage. Bravo.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Back