• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Now, is it really worth it to be a teacher?

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
With what was posted a couple weeks ago about the government bringing in guidelines about the way teachers act outside of school (Yeah, bollocks), the GTC (General Teaching Council) now want teachers to be sacked if they are caught out pubbing or clubbing it during their free time.

Looks like I'll be out a job then before the summer comes! What are your opinions on this?

Too right, they should set an example to the kids. Bollocks isn't exactly appropriate either!

Unfair when their year 10 students are probably in some pub anyway.
Seriously though thats crazy, do they also want to have patrols making sure they don't watch 18+ films on tv at home then?

Absolutely pathetic, they should be encouraging people to join the profession, not putting more barriers in front of them all the time.

As long as it does not impair their ability to teach when at work, ie not hungover or like kids "not on a school night" then they should be free to do as they please (abiding by the laws of the land obviously).

PC gone mad again.....(thats political correctness obviously, not my laptop has been over taken by a looney.....or maybe it has...hmmmmm)

the GTC (General Teaching Council) now want teachers to be sacked if they are caught out pubbing or clubbing it during their free time.

Absolutely ridiculous. What next, nurses, postman? With the aggravation a teacher has to put up with,and the restraint they have to show, rather than belt some horrible kid with a ruler, they should be given beer vouchers for the weekend.

Exactly, life can't be easy for these education support co-ordinators in places of learning.

Ridiculous rule. My college tutorsare going out together all the time, even sometimes go to the pub with the students!

One very public human rights case later and one deliberate character assasination of the person who brought in the idea from the GTC later and hooray it should be all fixed .

I never understood why teachers dont club together and really make the GTC boards life hell i really dont

This is a tricky one because your definitions are too vague. What does "pubbing it" mean? 15 pints of Danish 15% Getzyapist? Half of Stella? A glass of wine with Sunday Lunch in a country pub?
Teaching is a tough job (despite the rumours) and hour-for-hour the pay is peanuts.
My partner is dep head and full time teacher and contracted for 35 hours a week. 90 is a more realistic figure - preparing lessons, marking, meetings with idiot parents OFSTED inspections and so on. Certainly not a job for those who enjoy a life outside work (as I keep telling her).

At least it's safer than working in the city where you could be shown the door at any instant.

i think this is silly

as long as teachers dont come to work drunk or arent popping e's in clubs, i cant see the problem, as long as it doesnt affect work!

The biggest problem i see with teaching, especially at secondary school, is the teachers trying to relate to the modern day student... how are they supposed to understand them if they arent allowed out?!

Well surely it is better to have a teacher "manning" the clubs and pubs so to speak. At least then they could actually catch out any of the underage cretins that shouldn't be in there anyways. Saving the job that the parents should actually be doing.

The biggest problem i see with teaching, especially at secondary school, is the teachers trying to relate to the modern day student... how are they supposed to understand them if they arent allowed out?!

I am still pretty young as a teacher, 24 (but in my third year) and it is SO hard to relate to their lives even given the relatively small gap. I've bridged it a bit this week talking about footy though... ;)

Back