• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dean

my younger brother (14 years old) wants to start coming football with me. We are Spurs fans and I simply cannot afford two people going to Premier League matches week in week out, and suggested that we look at localish football teams. Southend, Dagenham and Orient being the options....... Orient he said no straight away, Dagenham and Southend he was happy with. I would prefer Southend as I have been to some great games at Roots Hall and feel that the club is looking for more success than Dagenham. And I guess i am looking for some truth's from those who currently go, is it enjoyable football or painstakingly boring? Is there a half decent atmosphere, is it the kind of club we would get to know people through away games etc?

Cheers

Dean

Welcome to the board.

Shame on you for suggesting Orient and Dagenham, your only saving grace is suggesting SUFC :smile:

Its pretty much like watching Brazil, and the weather is similar.

Honestly, our style of football last season was not pretty and often frustrating, however it got better towards the end of the season and Im hoping that continues.

We have re-signed Freddy Eastwood who was an exciting player and in his day was worth the admittance alone, time will tell if he can reproduce that form.

Atmosphere can be great, and when things going badly can be poor.

Away games Im sure you will get to know people, Im far too lazy to go any further than Orient there though.

Where do you live ? If its in the Southend area then definitely give it a go.

It isnt the premiership, but you are closer to the action and hand on heart I prefer going to Roots Hall than the times Ive been to the Emirates because its a more intimate affair.

Firstly welcome to the board, and thanks for posting.
SUFC like any any small club is a labour of love, it's a love affair that has lasted me close to 50 years and still no sign of the divorce court. :smile: I won't lie although we finished 4th last year and missed out in the play offs some of the football we played wasn't great and invoked many a stiff neck. Having said that the last 10 games or so was a much better standard with the ball being moved around on the green bit rather than the airborne one. The return of the supporters to our spiritual home the North Bank bought about a significant change of atmosphere, and all credit to the lads who moved to do this and also to have it back on a permanent basis for 2012/13.

We are a friendly enough bunch on here at home and away games and I am sure once you and your brother make yourselves known to all and sundry you'll see the same thing.

I hope you and your brother will find yourselves at home at Roots Hall and hope it's the start of a long love affair with our club for you.

All the best.

Welcome.
Pretty much what the othe two said , but would add that you will need to bring your own onions for the burgers !

I sorta started going to Southend for the same reason as you. Although not my brother, me and a few mates decided to give Southend a go to see what it was like and to see if it was really worth going. Four years later, I'm busting a gut trying to save for a season ticket to watch my beloved Southend. Am sure you will enjoy it

Welcome pal

If you want an atmosphere sit in the north bank

The football can be at times poor but we was playing better at the end of the season

Oh and daggers aren't a good side so if u want success then watch sufc

Well I've recently moved home, which is Chafford Hundred. So in theory the Daggers are closer, but as said I think there is more ambition in my eyes at the Shrimpers. I've always kept up to date with all local teams and I have a scary knowledge on football and know the football league quite well..... there are a lot of instance that i personally prefer it. Seeing the likes of Bale flying down the wing is a great sight don't get me wrong, but the dive he does 10 yards further up the pitch is what infuriates me. I know diving goes on at whatever level, but then you get your Neil Harris' and Mark Phillips that are proper footballers who get stuck in.

What are the plans with stadium, will the club be in a position to start fossetts?

And player wise, Freddy is back, established players like Harris, Phillips, Easton in the team. It is a good team for League 2, who do you think Sturrock will target? I'm guessing someone to fill Grants shoes? He seemed a good pace midfielder.

Dagenham will be in a relegation battle. If you want top end thrills, watch someone else Southend United!

Dean -

Gotta be Blues. Daggers are punching above their weight at the moment and we are punching below ours. Fossets Farm WILL happen at some point.

Take the long term view. There is no club that can guarantee good football all the time.

Dean -

Gotta be Blues. Daggers are punching above their weight at the moment and we are punching below ours. Fossets Farm WILL happen at some point.

Take the long term view. There is no club that can guarantee good football all the time.

Totally agree with that!! I have seen some dire games at all levels, and some of the best football in non league! It's hit and miss wherever you go. I think what I also like with Southend is that the crowds are usually around 7-8,000.

As others have said, when Freddy returned we started to play some nice football at home & tbh I really enjoyed the last 5, before that it was a bit dire though.

I have a good vibe about this season with the signings we've made so far & I would be very disappointed if were not challenging come April.

Atmosphere really depends on what you want. When I were a lad it had to be the North Bank & if you want the singing then thats where you need to be. These days Im South Upper because my 12 y/o girl goes with me. Its not totally quiet in there but from my point of view it suits, well except for the tourettes inflicted **** behind me one game last season. I never thought Id have to tell a fellow fan to STFU, but it was that or a flying lesson over the wall.

Anyways given the options you mentioned you'd be mad to go elsewhere..:smile:

Totally agree with that!! I have seen some dire games at all levels, and some of the best football in non league! It's hit and miss wherever you go. I think what I also like with Southend is that the crowds are usually around 7-8,000.

They can be towards the end of the season.

In League two more likely to be 5,000ish, if we do well things pick up.

There is a far more positive outlook at the club this year though, we have retained most of our team and got some interesting new players in so who knows.

Become Shrimpers now so you can't be accused of being glory-hunters in 8 months time. :winking:

Come along for the ride son, it will be interesting....!!

I am about to start my 37th season , and its been a lot of ups and downs... but one thing is , you will get hooked , and after a while , when people ask you who you support or watch ,and you say that you watch league 2 , they get interested ,

remember , you will be near to the pitch, players will hear you when you praise or chastise, and the banter is second to none,

the football is not always good, but its wholehearted, played with normal people in a normal stadium.....

Lastly , I still turn up every game and dont know what I am going to get , good ,bad or indifferent.!!!

Good luck if you come along.....

Back