• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Could we have John Main back please?:winking:
he was not a Chairman/owner. He was an employee of MD who did not trim back the expenditure at at time the company bankrolling things (Delancey) did not want to put a penny more into things. A winding up order was only avoided when Delancey agreed to put more money in under the strict instruction that RM got rid of JM.

this is exactly what I have been saying for years. no one will do anything until its late. gutless imo

it doesn't take guts to stand in a crowd of people (or post on an internet site for that matter) and shout obscenities at someone you don't like .

What would take guts is getting the financing together to buy the club out from RM, inject enough money to buy the quality of players wanted and keep season ticket prices down. Which has been the option people have been saying on here for years and no one has done anything about it .

Personally I am not overly happy with the way the club is going forward under RM, RM is not someone who will throw money around at the football club like its his own personal plaything, he had money to invest (which means he wanted a return , as opposed to give) but that has all been "invested" now and there has been no return yet.
The concensus on here seems to be that we do not want an investor (given the amount of comments about RM lining his pockets, legacy for his family etc) . As these people speak for the majority of Blues fans (again according to posts I have read on here) then that means that the majority of Blues fans do not want an investor, they want a benefactor .

Now I don't know anyone sufficiently wealthy enough to help in this situation, so I am not going to be a great deal of help here, but given the wealth of business knowledge and financial acumen I have read on these boards over the past couple of years, there has to be several people who have a love for Southend United and a business portfolio which would show the present incumbent up, its these people we should be turning to.

it doesn't take guts to stand in a crowd of people (or post on an internet site for that matter) and shout obscenities at someone you don't like .

What would take guts is getting the financing together to buy the club out from RM, inject enough money to buy the quality of players wanted and keep season ticket prices down. Which has been the option people have been saying on here for years and no one has done anything about it .

Personally I am not overly happy with the way the club is going forward under RM, RM is not someone who will throw money around at the football club like its his own personal plaything, he had money to invest (which means he wanted a return , as opposed to give) but that has all been "invested" now and there has been no return yet.
The concensus on here seems to be that we do not want an investor (given the amount of comments about RM lining his pockets, legacy for his family etc) . As these people speak for the majority of Blues fans (again according to posts I have read on here) then that means that the majority of Blues fans do not want an investor, they want a benefactor .

Now I don't know anyone sufficiently wealthy enough to help in this situation, so I am not going to be a great deal of help here, but given the wealth of business knowledge and financial acumen I have read on these boards over the past couple of years, there has to be several people who have a love for Southend United and a business portfolio which would show the present incumbent up, its these people we should be turning to.

I seriously doubt there is any local businessman or group of businessmen, who are willing to probably throw at least £20m on the table to even discuss the possibility with Ron.

If there are, then why have they not done so thus far?

The answer is at the moment, any person doing so would be mental. And would have more money than sense.

When the ground is being built/finished though, you watch the amount of "investors" coming out of the woodwork. I am confident that IF this bloody stadium get's built, we will have quite a bit of outside money coming in....

Last edited:
I seriously doubt there is any local businessman or group of businessmen, who are willing to probably throw at least £20m on the table to even discuss the possibility with Ron.

The answer is at the moment, any person doing so would be mental. And would have more money than sense.

When the ground is being built/finished though, you watch the amount of "investors" coming out of the woodwork. I am confident that IF this bloody stadium get's built, we will have quite a bit of outside money coming in....

Can you explain why you are 'confident' that outside money will come in once building starts or is finished as I don't see where it will come from.

I hate RM as much as the rest of you, but lets face it, if he sold the club tomorrow, what happens then?

The ground we play at now doesn't belong to us, and the ground we are approved to move to belongs to RM.....Where would we play? In Chalkwell Park with jumpers for goalposts?

Oh, those Brazilians, you know? Circa 1970? Broke the mould. Theory out the window. Free expression of football. Uncategorisable. Is that a word? It is now! You know? Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

Can you explain why you are 'confident' that outside money will come in once building starts or is finished as I don't see where it will come from.

"Confident" was probably too strong a word to use. Hopeful maybe.

But with an asset, it suddenly becomes a lot easier to access money.

If you know of any potential owners, passing Russian Oligarchs of Sheikhs of Araby then kindly point them in the direction of RM so he can obligingly sell out.

There-in lies the problem, Ron won't sell out. We know this already.

"The Consortium" had 3 bids turned down*, that we know of, have any other interested parties come forward? Would we know about it if they had?

*the point here is not whether "The Consortium" would have been a better/worse option, it's illustrating the fact Martin wouldn't even consider selling

.I love this club, my dad does and so now my 7 year old son, are we renewing our ST? yes, why? because i couldnt live through the season watching SSN for the results. I need SUFC and its needs us. The price increase is hard to take, but we will find the money. UTB

And that, unfortunately, is why so many clubs can rip their fans off.

Another have a go at Ron thread, when will it stop. I understand everyones frustration and am as fed up as the next person with the situation. But i have had far more pleasure this season than at any stage last. Why, because the players and manager care this season, you can see the joy in success and the pain in defeat. Last seasons crop didnt give a monkeys in the end, yes i know non payment of wages came into it, but i still believe we shoudlnt have gone down with that squad.

How strange. Even 21 matches into the season when we were 9th and homing in on a play-off place. Lee Barnard scoring nearly every week. Playing against quality opposition. Going to Norwich and watching us play really well in front of 25,000.

You find watching this season's botched together side more pleasurable? That seems perverse to me.

You "know non payment of wages came into it" and yet you still make the comments that last season's team didn't give a monkeys. Have you not followed all the threads about Ron lying (or getting Tilly to lie, unwittingly) about salaries that never come. We're talking about professional sportsman with commitments not voluntary workers. If you're really that keen on working for nothing I can put you in touch with some organisations who might be interested.

How strange. Even 21 matches into the season when we were 9th and homing in on a play-off place. Lee Barnard scoring nearly every week. Playing against quality opposition. Going to Norwich and watching us play really well in front of 25,000.

You find watching this season's botched together side more pleasurable? That seems perverse to me.

You "know non payment of wages came into it" and yet you still make the comments that last season's team didn't give a monkeys. Have you not followed all the threads about Ron lying (or getting Tilly to lie, unwittingly) about salaries that never come. We're talking about professional sportsman with commitments not voluntary workers. If you're really that keen on working for nothing I can put you in touch with some organisations who might be interested.

I also find this season's botched together side more pleasurable to watch.

Do you really mourn over a central midfield of Christophe and McCormack?

I can't be bothered to read through all of this, but thinks people who want to protest should do so in the same sort of manner as the Stockport fans last week

I can't be bothered to read through all of this, but thinks people who want to protest should do so in the same sort of manner as the Stockport fans last week

What a group of kids waving big flags walking less then a mile to the ground!!

Maybe we could all have a beer in the spread grab a couple of banners/flags walk to fish house (large chip roll) then walk to bookies place bet then walk to west stand and take our seat to out voice the away fans

:hilarious:

he was not a Chairman/owner. He was an employee of MD who did not trim back the expenditure at at time the company bankrolling things (Delancey) did not want to put a penny more into things. A winding up order was only avoided when Delancey agreed to put more money in under the strict instruction that RM got rid of JM.
sorry not true if you have the paperwork regarding that time, what you saying is complete rubbish, Main wanted more than anything to cut back things to become financially prudent, martin however was not interested,

What a group of kids waving big flags walking less then a mile to the ground!!

Maybe we could all have a beer in the spread grab a couple of banners/flags walk to fish house (large chip roll) then walk to bookies place bet then walk to west stand and take our seat to out voice the away fans

:hilarious:

Apologies but I seem to remember outside RH last season our very well organised protest of a few yoofs and chavs shouting nothing but verbal abuse and vitriol at RM.

We are in no position to have a laugh at the expense of another clubs unfortunate position.

Christ, am I just getting too serious in my old age? I feel like a moaning minnie who has changed from the most positive person on the planet into some sort of miserable grump that even my kids are beginning to laugh at!!!

Somebody please cheer me up!!!

Sorry but that is ridiculos, I do not believe that you would be "happy" if they tripled the season ticket price with a new chairman !!!

Why on earth is my opinion a rediculous statement? Its not a point about money to me. Im certainly not rich but fortunate enough that i could afford it. It makes no difference for me if we were in the Premiership or conference i would still go and pay silly money to watch the team i love. When the trust were raising money last season i gladly donated £100 as an example.

Nowdays i do not trust where my money is being used so will not put anything extra into the club. My season ticket is my maximum. Its about principle for me. As stated in the announcement "extra monies will go Paul Sturrock", sorry i dont believe that!

Nowdays i do not trust where my money is being used so will not put anything extra into the club. My season ticket is my maximum. Its about principle for me. As stated in the announcement "extra monies will go Paul Sturrock", sorry i dont believe that!

That isn't what the statement says. It says the more money raised the bigger the budget that PS has. It doesn't make any commitment to us having a bigger budget than this year or spending more on players. Even the Club can't be deluded enough to think that we'll sell more tickets than last year therefore the conclusion is that this whole issue is about how much less our budget for next season is compared to this one.

He was an employee of MD but he was also appointed Chairman in the same way that Frank Walton was appointed Chairman under the Rubens.You're quite right to say he wasn't the owner,unfortunately for SUFC and its fans.

You've got a long wait then.

You've got a long wait then.

The point is that only a fool would invest their money into this business at the moment. The second the first brick is laid at FF things potentially change. Right now no one in their right mind would think that they have any real chance of seeing a return on any cash put into the Club.

Back