• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ntfcfan

Schoolboy
Don't be fooled by the 6 goals, that was a very dull game. Almost nothing happened first half, an Assombalonga shot wide and we had a header saved. You seemed nervous and hesitant on the ball, to be expected with your start, and seemed content to let us have the ball. We had it, but didn't do much with it. The half time whistle woke most of the fans up and the heavens opened.

It hammered it down and the greased up the pitch a treat. Then came your opener. The greased up pitch led to Artell/Langmead (couldn't see who) slipping over and allowing ***-man through on goal. He took it with aplomb as he fired home into the net via the far post. We then chucked Akinfenwa on to add a new dynamic to the game and he did that, and he used his power in the six yard box controlling the ball close to his body, and turning and firing the ball into the roof of the net. I can't remember your second goal I'm afraid, so I can't comment.

Our second was scored from a keeper mistake, palming a Chris Hackett freekick straight to Dave Artell, who made no mistake. A whipped in cross from the right saw Alex Nicholls head home, leaving your keeper with no chance. Then you chucked Creswell upfront and went all out. A ball into the box for once wasn't cleared, it scrambled about and Creswell poked it home.

I thought you looked okay, but your gameplan was terrible. You sat back, and when you did come forward, all you did was lump it into the land of giants which is our box and it was headed away time and time again. You should have used Assombalonga, who was erratic but had the pace to really trouble our centre halves, who can head the ball but turn like commercial airlines.

All in all, a point is a fair result, as neither team did enough to win. Perhaps not even enough to draw the match. From what I saw of you, get your confidence back and you will put this poor start behind you. This is where your fans need to come in and you need to really get behind the team, and I thought that both teams fans were quiet today, but when we scored we could at least raise a few songs.

the first half was dull yes, but the second half wasn't, you looked very threatening in the air going forward which we didn't defend very well, i'd expect to see you in and around the play offs at the end of the season.

The Akinfenwa thing is very interesting. I think on paper us and Town have an equal chance of doing as well as each other so would he want to leave them just yet? Will he command top wages? if so then I 'd have thought he'd stay where is. Hope not as I think he'll be a good addition. Not just a slow.immobile targetman but someone who is quick and scores goals too.

You say that we lump it into no mans land, yet all you did all afternoon was limp it long to platt. At least we tried with Kane Ferdinand and spicer to pass it on the floor. Thought you would be better than you were, and where we're your fans, poor crowd considering the start you have made.

He may not be demanding anything excessive. 1 good thing about Aky is we wouldn't necessarily have to the ball long to him, He has the control and speed to make good moves whilst the ball is on the deck. Now I'm not in the Luggy out camp but I suspect the instruction will be to hit it long in the main to whoever this guy coming in is. Now Luggy admitted to more long ball stuff I now am questioning where Freddy fits in ( to get best out of him at least). I know Jam man said we were changing our style but after Luggys comments afterwards it seems he can't naturalise himself to it. So long ball in main will not suit Freddy.

Yeah, people have an impression of a fat lumbering oaf but when he gets going he picks up some speed and scares defenders.

He scares defenders Northants cos they are worried about being eaten :winking:

I like Bayo actually, technically good for a big (and the award for understatement of the week goes to ...) man and can take the banter in good grace (ie such as at Gillingham a couple of years back)

I thought its obvious how we played because its Boothroyd? I didn't mention our style of play because its obvious, even more obvious when you see its Bayo and Platt up front:dim:

Don't be fooled by the 6 goals, that was a very dull game. Almost nothing happened first half, an Assombalonga shot wide and we had a header saved. You seemed nervous and hesitant on the ball, to be expected with your start, and seemed content to let us have the ball. We had it, but didn't do much with it. The half time whistle woke most of the fans up and the heavens opened.

It hammered it down and the greased up the pitch a treat. Then came your opener. The greased up pitch led to Artell/Langmead (couldn't see who) slipping over and allowing ***-man through on goal. He took it with aplomb as he fired home into the net via the far post. We then chucked Akinfenwa on to add a new dynamic to the game and he did that, and he used his power in the six yard box controlling the ball close to his body, and turning and firing the ball into the roof of the net. I can't remember your second goal I'm afraid, so I can't comment.

Our second was scored from a keeper mistake, palming a Chris Hackett freekick straight to Dave Artell, who made no mistake. A whipped in cross from the right saw Alex Nicholls head home, leaving your keeper with no chance. Then you chucked Creswell upfront and went all out. A ball into the box for once wasn't cleared, it scrambled about and Creswell poked it home.

I thought you looked okay, but your gameplan was terrible. You sat back, and when you did come forward, all you did was lump it into the land of giants which is our box and it was headed away time and time again. You should have used Assombalonga, who was erratic but had the pace to really trouble our centre halves, who can head the ball but turn like commercial airlines.

All in all, a point is a fair result, as neither team did enough to win. Perhaps not even enough to draw the match. From what I saw of you, get your confidence back and you will put this poor start behind you. This is where your fans need to come in and you need to really get behind the team, and I thought that both teams fans were quiet today, but when we scored we could at least raise a few songs.

Not a lot to disagree with there. I would say though, that in the second half it seemed both teams were going to score every time they got the ball forward.

Our main problem at the moment isn't creating chances, it's converting them. I would like to think that will change when:

• Eastwood gets himself fit
  • Corr gets himself fit
  • Harris completely shakes off whatever injury he has
  • We sign a target man (on the basis that Corr isn't coming back any time soon)
  • All of the above

Thank you NTFC for stewards that speak and smile rather than dimwits (such as at Posh) but how is £2 for a small bottle of water and £1 for a double decker anything less than exploiting a monopoly of refreshment trade? Worse amenities since Scarborough & McCain Stadium sold out before half time of pies and chips. Also why is the tannoy so loud it prohibits any crowd noise and the speaker bloke tedious?

Thank you NTFC for stewards that speak and smile rather than dimwits (such as at Posh) but how is £2 for a small bottle of water and £1 for a double decker anything less than exploiting a monopoly of refreshment trade? Worse amenities since Scarborough & McCain Stadium sold out before half time of pies and chips. Also why is the tannoy so loud it prohibits any crowd noise and the speaker bloke tedious?

Because the catering company are crap.

We have a poor tannoy system and they compensate by turning it up as loud as they can and deafening the **** out of everyone. The speaker bloke is tedious because that is the hand that God dealt him

He may not be demanding anything excessive. 1 good thing about Aky is we wouldn't necessarily have to the ball long to him, He has the control and speed to make good moves whilst the ball is on the deck. Now I'm not in the Luggy out camp but I suspect the instruction will be to hit it long in the main to whoever this guy coming in is. Now Luggy admitted to more long ball stuff I now am questioning where Freddy fits in ( to get best out of him at least). I know Jam man said we were changing our style but after Luggys comments afterwards it seems he can't naturalise himself to it. So long ball in main will not suit Freddy.

I think with a player like Akinfenwa (if indeed the striker is him which is obviously unconfirmed) the best way to play is to mix it up. He would give us the option of going long but he is also decent with his back to goal when played into feet. In this style there would be plenty of chances for Freddy to show his quality, either when we play to feet or from knock-downs/hold-up play from a striker like Akinfenwa. When we hit the front early there is still plenty of scope for ball-players like Eastwood etc to play from there.

At this moment in time with Corr injured we have no-one up top who can play the targetman role, therefore mixing it up isn't feasible and that means we don't cause teams as many problems as we could do if we had a player of that ilk. Akinfenwa would be perfect as he's not just a big lump who only excels at the direct gameplan - he's adept at both.

Interesting that Aidy B doesn't think they deserved anything from the game...

Why does everyone think Akinfenwa is a great target man? He isn't that tall and can't jump.

What he is good at is holding the ball up when it is played to him at chest height. No-one will knock him off the ball.

But we don't play the ball in at chest height. We cross it at head or higher than head height.

If we are going back to a long and direct game we need a tall guy and my guess is that whoever is rumoured to be coming in isn't Akinfenwa (as much as I would like him here).

I harped on about basically what you said Angel in another thread. If he did come here we would be able to mix it up which would suit Freddy's style as well but the slight concern was Sturrock's comments yeaterday saying it'll be long ball in the main. Fine if it works in the long run but just don't think it'll suit Freddy in the most part if it is mainly long ball.

Thinking about it Eastwood playing alongside a targetman could work. Eastwood would be fed of him. Would require a lot of accurate play though.

Why does everyone think Akinfenwa is a great target man? He isn't that tall and can't jump.

I'd have to disagree, no he's not typical target man height but in the many games I've seen him play I've always been surprised at how much he wins in the air. The striker may be him or it may not but Sturrock said we desperately needed a target man and then said Akinfenwa was "exactly the type of player we need" so whether we've gone for him or not Sturrock definitely sees him as a target man......

Besides which a target man doesn't necessarily have to be a giant, just someone you can use as a target aerially so the ball then sticks or can be laid off to a team-mate. In Akinfenwa's case that target is obviously to get it forward chest-height if possible, the fact that he is adept on the floor is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Back