• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trucking shrimper

Coach⭐⭐
Saw an interesting tweet from Chris Phillips earlier, throughout the entire season, only Wycombe used less players than us. Tranmere used almost double ours and got relegated. Shows the importance of stability!

Interesting set of figures ..... and I would have said 28 was too many! Perhaps that shows the need for cover for injuries in our case plus the search for a balanced midfield and some fire power up front.

This proves the importance of a relative small squad of quality players , several of which are versatile. The leagues are almost directly related to final positions therefore a settled team will give better results.
Its vital we have players like Lenny , White & Atkinson who can play in a number of positions at top level.

Bentley, T Smith, P Smith, White, Bolger, Barrett, Prosser, Ibenfeldt, Thompson, Sokolik, Binnom Williams, Coker, Timlin, Leonard, O'Toole, Atkinson, Deegan, Worrall, Corr, Cassidy, Pigott, McLaughlin, Clifford, Hurst, Barnard, Weston, Payne, Williams ?

Bentley, T Smith, P Smith, White, Bolger, Barrett, Prosser, Ibenfeldt, Thompson, Sokolik, Binnom Williams, Coker, Timlin, Leonard, O'Toole, Atkinson, Deegan, Worrall, Corr, Cassidy, Pigott, McLaughlin, Clifford, Hurst, Barnard, Weston, Payne, Williams ?

Close.

Coulthirst instead of Paul Smith - his only appearance was in the Capital One Cup against Walsall (this is just for league).

This proves the importance of a relative small squad of quality players , several of which are versatile. The leagues are almost directly related to final positions therefore a settled team will give better results.
Its vital we have players like Lenny , White & Atkinson who can play in a number of positions at top level.

That's a valid take on it, but to play devils advocate there has to be a bit of a chicken and egg debate also....The worse you are performing the more changes you are going to want to make therefore does a team use more players because they are playing crap or are they playing crap because they are using more players?

If we used the same squad of 16 players next season for the first 10 games and lost them all, would you be screaming for changes or wanting to keep going with the same squad "for stability"

I would argue that it's more case of the better performing teams using fewer players than the teams using fewer players performing better

Last edited:
Teams are using a ridiculous number of players.

The FL should cut down the number on players on the bench, certainly in L1 and L2.

Players by appearance (Including first XI by amount of League starts)

First XI :Bentley 42, White 40, Thompson 27, Prosser 29, Coker 32, Worrall 23, Leonard 39, Timlin 29, Atkinson 26, Payne 20, Corr 30.

And the rest : Bolger 21, Deegan 19, Hurst 19, Binnon-Williams 18, Weston 17, Pigott 17, Coulthirst 12, Cassidy 12, Clifford 10, Barrett 9, McLaughlin 6, Ted Smith 4, Barnard 2, O'Toole 2, Sokolik 1

Jason Williams (2) and Ibenfeldt (1) substitute appearance

Players by appearance (Including first XI by amount of League starts)

First XI :Bentley 42, White 40, Thompson 27, Prosser 29, Coker 32, Worrall 23, Leonard 39, Timlin 29, Atkinson 26, Payne 20, Corr 30.

And the rest : Bolger 21, Deegan 19, Hurst 19, Binnon-Williams 18, Weston 17, Pigott 17, Coulthirst 12, Cassidy 12, Clifford 10, Barrett 9, McLaughlin 6, Ted Smith 4, Barnard 2, O'Toole 2, Sokolik 1

Jason Williams (2) and Ibenfeldt (1) substitute appearance

Donning my pedants hat...

Why does Payne get in the first XI with 20 starts (did he really make that many starts?) while Bolger is amongst "the rest" with 21 starts

I'm guessing perhaps you've done it to kind of mirror a feasible starting line up?

Donning my pedants hat...

Why does Payne get in the first XI with 20 starts (did he really make that many starts?) while Bolger is amongst "the rest" with 21 starts

I'm guessing perhaps you've done it to kind of mirror a feasible starting line up?

I think that's correct. Looks like the players with the most games for each position rather that most games per se

Teams are using a ridiculous number of players.

The FL should cut down the number on players on the bench, certainly in L1 and L2.

It is with some predictability that I once again say that the loan system is out of control and needs to be pruned back ..... :'(

Use the players you have ..... and not just throw another loanee at the problem. :thumbsup:

It is with some predictability that I once again say that the loan system is out of control and needs to be pruned back ..... :'(

Use the players you have ..... and not just throw another loanee at the problem. :thumbsup:

I agree with the principal Rattus, but I'm kind of glad that McLaughlin was in the box against Stevenage second leg and Piggy was lurking in extra time at Wembley.

Thought Brown had the biggest budget/squad etc etc etc ?

If you took out the loanees we broke after 10 minutes we used even less :smile:

Whats really interesting is if you notice how the teams that used the least amount of players generally were the top teams in their divisions too, and how the teams towards the bottom such as the likes of Tranmere used the most and went down.

I agree with the principal Rattus, but I'm kind of glad that McLaughlin was in the box against Stevenage second leg and Piggy was lurking in extra time at Wembley.

I lose count each week on the T.V. of how many times a player on loan is mentioned in the goal highlights .... yes, we may benefit at times but then so do all the other clubs in the league so using an example of when a loanee scores for us does not convince me that the loan system is 100% okay I'm afraid. :stunned:

Things have got well out of hand. In 80/81 we got promoted using just seven players. That's right, seven. All those players played every single game and some had to play in two positions at once.

Back