• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nurse threatened with sack for offering to say a prayer for patient.

SUFC Forever

Manager
Did anybody see the story in the papers today about the nurse who has been suspended for the "offence" of offering to say a prayer for a patient? She may even be sacked because of it. Funny, I thought this was supposed to be a Christian country as well?

Political correctness sickens me.

Wonder if we'd ever see a Muslim sacked for wearing religious dress, a Sikh sacked for wearing a Turban...

Whereas it seems OK to discriminate against Christians (And jehovas witnesses, everyone hates them)

Apparently the prayer was "Oh Goddy God, oh sweet baby Jesus, please kill this twot off now, what a pain in the arse he is. Amen."

I think they might be justified in this instance.

I dont get what the offence is??
We are born and bred in this country and it seems like we will never win! This political correctness is ****, if you cant approve of the english culture dont come over here and try and ruin it!
Couldnt really care less about them but if they want to live here or whatever they have to live our way.. Would be the same if we moved over to another country, we would have to live their way.. Its not a competition to see if you can get stronger than the government.. Which somehow they have succeeded!!

She broke a rule I'm afraid and she should keep her religious thoughts to herself.

How would a person waiting for a life-saving op respond to me saying "Well best of luck, because if you die, that's your lot!"

Oh and BTW, we're a secular country, not a Christian one.

Last edited:
She broke a rule I'm afraid and she should keep her religious thoughts to herself.

How would a dying person respond to me saying "well best of luck, because if you die, that's your lot."

So, what is your opinion on religious dress MK?

So, what is your opinion on religious dress MK?

I have no problem with it. Nobody is forcing their views onto me by wearing a turban, hijab or a skull cap.

And if it makes you happy, I'd happily tell a muslim to ferk off if they tried to impress their fantasy tales on me, just as I would a Christian/Jew/Sikh/Hindu/Scientologist.

I have no problem with it. Nobody is forcing their views onto me by wearing a turban, hijab or a skull cap.

But saying a prayer is forcing a view onto someone?

I know you like to sometimes appear as "controversial", but you are coming across as a pillock on this thread!!

To give you another analogy, lets say a muslim prays to Allah at work (as they do 5 times a day). Would you call for their suspension for breaking rules? Or, as is more likely, would any rules preventing them praying actually be in breach of discrimination acts?

How would a person waiting for a life-saving op respond to me saying "Well best of luck, because if you die, that's your lot!"

What rule would that be, MK? I can't think of one at the moment.

I think there is a big difference between offering to pray for someone (thus giving them the chance to refuse) and telling them
"Well best of luck, because if you die, that's your lot!"
which gives them no chance to refuse, they have already heard it.

But saying a prayer is forcing a view onto someone?

I know you like to sometimes appear as "controversial", but you are coming across as a pillock on this thread!!

To give you another analogy, lets say a muslim prays to Allah at work (as they do 5 times a day). Would you call for their suspension for breaking rules? Or, as is more likely, would any rules preventing them praying actually be in breach of discrimination acts?

Why am I? The nurse could of prayed silently for the person, why did she have the need to tell them? She simply broke a rule of her employment.

Anyone can pray whenever, and to whoever they want to - silently, quietly and privately.

And all of you banging on about Christianity, I bet the last time you prayed to "God" is when James Walker took a penalty.

I haven't heard of any rules that ban members of staff from offering to pray for a patient. i know plenty of nurses/doctors who often pray with patients, as well as plenty of occasions when patients have asked random staff. if the nurse was pushy about it, then obviously that isn't on, but i think that mainly people are sensitive and respectful about it

What rule would that be, MK? I can't think of one at the moment.

The NMC [Nursing Midwifery Council] code states that ’you must demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to equality and diversity’ and ’you must not use your professional status to promote causes that are not related to health’."

Why am I? The nurse could of prayed silently for the person, why did she have the need to tell them? She simply broke a rule of her employment.

Anyone can pray whenever, and to whoever they want to - silently, quietly and privately.

And all of you banging on about Christianity, I bet the last time you prayed to "God" is when James Walker took a penalty.

why? i would love to see the trusts policy on this. the whole area of terminal/end of life/palliative care is built around respecting people beliefs as well as offering spiritual care, i'm sure if you were in hospital, dying, and a nurse offered to pray with/for you, then even as an atheist you wouldn't see any harm in it. if it was obviously inappropriate, or the nurse was pushy about it, then it isn't on, but i still don't see it as a sackable offence unless it's caused the patient a great deal of distress

why? i would love to see the trusts policy on this. the whole area of terminal/end of life/palliative care is built around respecting people beliefs as well as offering spiritual care, i'm sure if you were in hospital, dying, and a nurse offered to pray with/for you, then even as an atheist you wouldn't see any harm in it. if it was obviously inappropriate, or the nurse was pushy about it, then it isn't on, but i still don't see it as a sackable offence unless it's caused the patient a great deal of distress

Why wouldn't I? I'd use my dying breaths to tell the nurse/doctor to ferk off as quickly as humanly possible.

Why wouldn't I? I'd use my dying breaths to tell the nurse/doctor to ferk off as quickly as humanly possible.

knowing you, you're probably right. perhaps however with the end in sight your view may change.

The NMC [Nursing Midwifery Council] code states that ’you must demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to equality and diversity’ and ’you must not use your professional status to promote causes that are not related to health’."

Interesting but I would be staggered if offering to pray for a patient contravenes that rule. She wasn't trying to convert the old dear. If you are "spiritual" then a prayer is most likely welcome, if you are an atheist then it is a load of pointless mumbo jumbo but why give a **** about it? And it was an offer, she wasn't forcing a prayer on an unwilling recipient.

Why do Atheists get so worked up about this stuff? It doesn't work, it doesn't mean anything, does it, so why care? I just don't get it.

Back