• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

NY Tax Increases

is it just me that thinks it's stupid how there are increasing the cost of pepsi to reduce child obesity, yet raise tax on going to the gym. round of applause for that genius!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12172008/news/regionalnews/govs_tax__spend_shocker_144629.htm

So how would some of you feel about this... an "I-pod tax" on downloading songs and movies, an "obesity tax" on non diet soft drinks....

Including:

A 4 percent tax on cable TV and satellite services, raising a $100 bill by $4

Ahhh... and now we know why the New Murdoch Post, I mean the Fox York Post, I mean the New York Sky TV is so up in arms about this egregious tax hike.

The Dirty Digger gets lots of points of subtlety, he really does.

:thump:

To be fair it just happened to be this link i picked, however it seems everyone is none to pleased, and both the left and the right are in agreement its too much (see, they can get along once in a while).

It's a bit like paying green tax to improve the environment.

We seem to pay a lot in green taxes, but I don't see much in the way of environmental improvement. We are still seeing extra runways at Stansted, we are still seeing underfunded public transport, we still haven't devleoped sustainable alternative forms of energy.

A cynic might say that the taxes collected over the last 10 years under the guise of "green taxes" have been used to bomb Iraq and bail out the bank.

If there was a clear and transparent audit trail between taxes and expenditure on certain items or services (for example Airport Tax) then I'd be ok with that. But there isn't, so I will never be convinced that they are what they claim to be.

It's a bit like paying green tax to improve the environment.

We seem to pay a lot in green taxes, but I don't see much in the way of environmental improvement. We are still seeing extra runways at Stansted, we are still seeing underfunded public transport, we still haven't devleoped sustainable alternative forms of energy.

A cynic might say that the taxes collected over the last 10 years under the guise of "green taxes" have been used to bomb Iraq and bail out the bank.

If there was a clear and transparent audit trail between taxes and expenditure on certain items or services (for example Airport Tax) then I'd be ok with that. But there isn't, so I will never be convinced that they are what they claim to be.

I know what you mean, I've paid income tax all my working life, and my pay hardly increases!

I don't really mind that much. None of these products are so essential to me that I'm tied in to pay them and if the tax makes it too expensive, it's the companies losing out on my custom rather than me being out of pocket. If anything, I'll probably be more in pocket for not buying things I don't really need.

Got to pay to run the country somehow.

Back