• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firestorm

Pedant
As there seems to be a spate of "How many..." or "what is" threads and I find the Bart/Darryl debate a bit inconsequential having witnessed Keeley, Steele and Prudhoe I was thinking about the most Un Southend / Obscure game (excluding local league stuff) I had seen

Cobh Ramblers vs Galway and Clachnacuddin vs Invarurie Loco Works were the two which came to mind, although a Billericay Town vs Ford United frieindly in 1974 (ish) comes close

no Doubt Mike has Xabia vs the Catalonia Donkey Breeders Society reserves to tell us of
smile.gif

Probably FC Torrevieja V CD Alone in the Spanish regional leagues, not sure how low down it was but the standard was pretty dire, as were the pitches.

Great fun though, most of the fans there were English expats and at half time loads of the kids went on the pitch for a kickabout.

On holiday in the wonderful resort of Llorett de Mar Circa 1972, witnessed a Spanish League game, unfortunately I cannot remember who the teams were, but it was a 0-0 draw and the standard was utterly abysmal. Wistful thoughts of home, Roots Hall and watching Arthur Rowley's promotion winning heroes from the season before. The ground & pitch was a dust bowl and i am sure that it doubled as a bull ring.

Other than that watching Tow LawTown v Blyth Spartans in a Northern League Div 2 game when i was working in the North East, it was a dire game, but the tea bar did the best Bovril i have ever had.

Hullbridge Sports U18's vs Blackburn Rovers U18's in I think 1999, FA Youth Cup. I did also go with a mate to see Crystal Palace vs Bradford in 96/97 to check on our relegation rivals as we were away. Sat with the Bradford fans and although they lost 3-1 I clearly remember being impressed and telling a Bradford fan I was talking to they'd be safe unfortunately for us (it was 3 from 4 for the drop and I was pretty sure they'd be the ones to survive). Lo and behold come May thats exactly what happened and Blues, Grimsby and Oldham all dropped into Division 2
sad.gif

Can't remember the exact teams, but I think it was Ford United youths versus Arsenal youths years ago...for some reason it was played at Chelmsford's New Writtle Street ground.

I only went because I knew someone that played for Ford United at the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 24 2005,08:57)]Clachnacuddin vs Invarurie Loco Works
Not one to correct spellings but it's actually Inverurie (the Mrs comes from there).

My most obscure game probably is Portimonense v Rio Aves in the Portuguese League circa 1986. I remember being impressed with how passionate the support was with loads of flags flying etc, all this for a 2nd division end of season game with nothing to play for.

Also seen loads of Jewson League (as it was then) games in the early 90s, my ex's Dad was Assistant Manager then Chairman of Felixstowe Town (before they merged with Walton Utd). The inbreds at March Town United make a trip to Col******r seem almost human!
tounge.gif

I'm hoping to watch SZFC in (clear throat)... action (snigger) this Xmas / New Year. How can you get any more obscure than that?

biggrin.gif

Nah, don't do obscure.

Instead, I can sit here smugly knowing that no one on this site has been in a bigger crowd than I have at a football match...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,11:06)]I'm hoping to watch SZFC in (clear throat)... action (snigger) this Xmas / New Year. How can you get any more obscure than that?

biggrin.gif
When you down? Obviously no games on X-mas day and NYD. We should have a game on the 18th as we dont have one on the 11th and then 8th Jan but your going back on the 4th aint you!?

Sounds like your not gunna miss much!

laugh.gif

went to see Chelmsford play Merthyr Tydfil ( at Billericays New Lodge ) when little Russell Williamson was playing for Chelmsford - that's about as obscure as I've done

I remember being at Ibrox for an Old Firm reserve match in front of 25,000 people. Rangers were stuffing Celtic 4-1 in the main match at Parkhead and big cheers going up every time we heard reports from the big game. Rangers won the reserve game 1-0 thanks to an Andy Gray header.

I did nearly a season of Home Games for Woodford town around 1967 !! My Dad was a qualified St Johns ambulance first aider at his factory and based on this someone asked him to be their trainer (they weren't called physio's back then).
They were in the old metroploitan league in those days , playing london sides plus the reserves and Thirds of the bigger clubs. I recall a very young Trevor Brooking playing for WH 3rds , and even younger Steve Perryman amongst others. Also a London cup game against Wimbledon before they became a League side !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Nov. 24 2005,11:28)]I remember being at Ibrox for an Old Firm reserve match in front of 25,000 people. Rangers were stuffing Celtic 4-1 in the main match at Parkhead and big cheers going up every time we heard reports from the big game. Rangers won the reserve game 1-0 thanks to an Andy Gray header.
On the subject of reserve games. I remember a season when Rodney Marsh had been injured and his comeback game for QPR was against Blues stiffs at Roots Hall.

A crowd of 3104 (Mostly from QPR) on I think a Tuesday night turned up to see Mr Marsh play.

I saw Chelmsford City vs Horsham in the Westview league cup earlier this season, apart from Sunday league that's as obscure as it gets for me

Early(ish) 70's Edgware Town, then of the Isthmian League (as it was) now Ryman League 2. Who they played I cannot remember, but they won 7-0. All I can really recall is that Edgware wore all green and their opponents wore yellow with black shorts.

No more obscure than that, although I am going to Bavaria in February, missing the Rotherham home match, so may take in Pope Benedict's favourite team SSV Jahn Regensburg if they are playing at home. Regensburg is close to Bamberg where I shall be staying. SSV Jahn play in one of Germany's feeder regional leagues - probably the playing standard equivalent of the Conference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Nov. 24 2005,12:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,11:06)]I'm hoping to watch SZFC in (clear throat)... action (snigger) this Xmas / New Year. How can you get any more obscure than that?

biggrin.gif
When you down? Obviously no games on X-mas day and NYD. We should have a game on the 18th as we dont have one on the 11th and then 8th Jan but your going back on the 4th aint you!?

laugh.gif
I'll be over from 23rd and head back on the 8th.

Don't tell me I'm going to miss the mighty SZFC playing?

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,12:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Nov. 24 2005,12:16)]
[b said:

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
I'll be over from 23rd and head back on the 8th.

Don't tell me I'm going to miss the mighty SZFC playing?

sad.gif
Yep. Your gunna miss us.

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 24 2005,10:20)]went to see Chelmsford play Merthyr Tydfil ( at Billericays New Lodge ) when little Russell Williamson was playing for Chelmsford - that's about as obscure as I've done
Myself, Shrimper James and a couple of others stayed in Merthyr over the weekend of the first LDV final, and The Martyrs were due to play Chelmsford at home on the Saturday. We went to Penydarren Park only to find the game had been called off, but went into their social club for a couple of drinks anyway.

We got talking to a couple of Merthyr fans about the LDV game and they said "Well, at least you haven't come all the way from Essex for a match that's been called off". From the other corner of the bar, someone pipes up "I have". Poor sod.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 24 2005,09:28)]Hullbridge Sports U18's vs Blackburn Rovers U18's in I think 1999, FA Youth Cup.
same here

Think hullbridge lost 5-0 didn't they IIRC.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 24 2005,11:13)]Nah, don't do obscure.

Instead, I can sit here smugly knowing that no one on this site has been in a bigger crowd than I have at a football match...

wink.gif
Go on then, Matt... as no one else is polite enough to ask, when and where was that?

Back