• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Obscure local football teams you played for in your distant past

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Just what it says on the tin! for a bit of fun, mine comes from the 70/80s and the club was Eastwood Old Boys 1st Eleven. Played in the old Borough Comb and although they probably weren't the best side I've ever turned out for, they were certainly the most together team and the team I most enjoyed my football in. It helped that we won a few things whilst we were together, and I can even remember most of their names.

So here's mine, now show us yours.

Eastwood old boys.jpg

No team photos but Oakwood Rangers as a boy (losing 24-1 to Rayleigh Town and our only point, all season, was a 3-3 draw), Landwick FC (formerly NatWest!), Hewlyn Athletic and Brooklyn Rangers (named, I believe, after the captain's road!).

Just what it says on the tin! for a bit of fun, mine comes from the 70/80s and the club was Eastwood Old Boys 1st Eleven. Played in the old Borough Comb and although they probably weren't the best side I've ever turned out for, they were certainly the most together team and the team I most enjoyed my football in. It helped that we won a few things whilst we were together, and I can even remember most of their names.

View attachment 15290
I’m surprised that photo is in colour ?

No photos unfortunately but I enjoyed playing for Homestead in the Borough Comb.Chemico in the Southend Wednesday league.The Eastern National garage team and IPA in the Forest and District League.Also Eastwood Rangers and Rochford boys in the Yoof league.

Last edited:
No photos unfortunately but I enjoyed playing for Homstead in the Borough Comb.Chemico in the Southend Wednesday league.The Eastern National garage team and IPA in the Forest and District League.Also Eastwood Rangers and Rochford boys in the Yoof league.

Stuck in traffic outside Swallow Aquatics yesterday reminded me that i used to play for them in the Southend Wednesday league. The owner was the manger and the staff would get the afternoon off to play. It appeared you had to be a good footballer to get a job there at the time.....Those were the days.

Back then I also played for the Fire Brigade in the East London Thursday league and Rayleigh teams on a Saturday and Sunday. Because of shifts I rarely played all 4 days but did clock up about 70+ games a season several times.

You got some really good players in the midweek leagues including many semi pros who were not supposed to be playing as they were under contract for there Saturday club. Again no one seemed bothered by the rules.

Last edited:
Can't believe this was 50 years ago. The team was so skint we had to borrow the Southend United shirts. The 1st chap on the left hand side front row we knew as Willie Kellaway - he surfaced years later as a Director of Southend United Football Club known as Bill Kellaway.

Attachments

• com pic.jpg
    com pic.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 40

View attachment 15290

Do I recognise Ian Roake in goal?

No photos unfortunately but I enjoyed playing for Homstead in the Borough Comb.Chemico in the Southend Wednesday league.The Eastern National garage team and IPA in the Forest and District League.Also Eastwood Rangers and Rochford boys in the Yoof league.

Please don't mention the word Homestead.

At least you were kind enough to spell it wrongly.......and it was IPAROK...........

At least you were kind enough to spell it wrongly.......and it was IPAROK...........

I`ll mention Homestead as I was there as well - also Wenham Sports in the youth league, Rochford United and a couple of games for Chemico. Also played for Tesco (Southchurch Road branch)

An obscure couple when living in London - East Fulham Labour - our centre forward was Ron Springett former England goalkeeper and Gleeds Quantity Surveyors (Regent Street Branch)

Have got some photos somewhere if I can find them and work the technology !

Do I recognise Ian Roake in goal?

Typo.You might want to explain what IPAROK stands for -if you can get past the swear filter.Also mfurok while you're at it! :Smile:

Used to play for woodham radars in the late seventies, until the found out I was really rubbish!

Reactions: RHB
I`ll mention Homestead as I was there as well - also Wenham Sports in the youth league, Rochford United and a couple of games for Chemico. Also played for Tesco (Southchurch Road branch)

An obscure couple when living in London - East Fulham Labour - our centre forward was Ron Springett former England goalkeeper and Gleeds Quantity Surveyors (Regent Street Branch)

Have got some photos somewhere if I can find them and work the technology !

John Williams dad formed Wenham Sports.

Another excellent keeper John.

I played one game for Southend Collegians in the Borough Combination and one game for Brooklyn Sports in the District League. I played for many years for Chalkwell United in the Sceptre and Sunday Leagues before they finally realised I was rubbish and they got me to ref when we didn't have one.

As a result I became a ref. I've no idea how many games I covered on the local parks in the 15 years I was active, but I suspect I upset more than a few posters on here.

I had a couple of (apalling) games for Homestead as a 15 y.o. at the tail-end of the '75-'76 season. I played a few games for different Southend Collegians teams when I was back in Southend at the tail-end of 1980 and early '81. I did alright there as I progressed from 4th to 2nd team. My most enjoyable game for them was the one for the 3rd team when I somehow scored from a corner. And like mfurok and TUIB, I played for IPAROK in the Walthamstow & District League. We lost much much more than we won but the experience helped me immeasurably on my path to becoming a Pickles Cup Winner player-manager with two different teams. The older I get, the better I was.

Leigh Ramblers for me for about 30 seasons !! Played Wednesday League for Eastwood so remember Swallow Athletic, southend postmen, AC taxis etc ...Sunday’s played for Rusty Bucket back in the day...also SZFC...but to be fair to them they weren’t exactly my best couple of seasons coming back from a knee injury !!

Last edited:
Back