• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Obscure local football teams you played for in your distant past

I had a couple of (apalling) games for Homestead as a 15 y.o. at the tail-end of the '75-'76 season. I played a few games for different Southend Collegians teams when I was back in Southend at the tail-end of 1980 and early '81. I did alright there as I progressed from 4th to 2nd team. My most enjoyable game for them was the one for the 3rd team when I somehow scored from a corner. And like mfurok and TUIB, I played for IPAROK in the Walthamstow & District League. We lost much much more than we won but the experience helped me immeasurably on my path to becoming a Pickles Cup Winner player-manager with two different teams. The older I get, the better I was.

You were an excellent player for IPA.Most of the games I played in that we lost (in that first season) was crucially because we didn't have a proper keeper or goalscorer.Otherwise we were a useful team.(sure SUFC players are saying the same thing about our lack of strikers atm..OX is of course beyond reproach).

You were an excellent player for IPA.Most of the games I played in that we lost (in that first season) was crucially because we didn't have a proper keeper or goalscorer.Otherwise we were a useful team.(sure SUFC players are saying the same thing about our lack of strikers atm..OX is of course beyond reproach).

Thanks, Phil. What about 'Jones The Goal' though?

Just what it says on the tin! for a bit of fun, mine comes from the 70/80s and the club was Eastwood Old Boys 1st Eleven. Played in the old Borough Comb and although they probably weren't the best side I've ever turned out for, they were certainly the most together team and the team I most enjoyed my football in. It helped that we won a few things whilst we were together, and I can even remember most of their names.

So here's mine, now show us yours.

View attachment 15290

Great thread, RHB. Sorry I don't have any photos to add. Curious about the chap in the top row, 2nd left - was his name Colin Blackaby?

I had a couple of (apalling) games for Homestead as a 15 y.o. at the tail-end of the '75-'76 season. I played a few games for different Southend Collegians teams when I was back in Southend at the tail-end of 1980 and early '81. I did alright there as I progressed from 4th to 2nd team. My most enjoyable game for them was the one for the 3rd team when I somehow scored from a corner. And like mfurok and TUIB, I played for IPAROK in the Walthamstow & District League. We lost much much more than we won but the experience helped me immeasurably on my path to becoming a Pickles Cup Winner player-manager with two different teams. The older I get, the better I was.

Rob - fear ye not - all Homestead games were appalling.

I don't have photos any more for my other teams, but there was Rayleigh town in the late 60s, Southchurch Hall old Scholars (I didn't go there, but my milkman did), Customs & Excise for many seasons and Ferndale on a Sunday briefly.

Back