• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Obscure local football teams you played for in your distant past

Baddow Spartak
& Chelmsford City as a kid

Priory Sports
& Writtle Manor as an adult

Saw a mention of Woodham Radars who I played against but I don't recognise any of the Southend league teams, hardly surprising as I don't think they ever got past the 1st round of the County cup, I'm expecting a few bites on this haha

Rob - fear ye not - all Homestead games were appalling.

Yes as mentioned on another thread - I remember losing 18-1 in the rain on a swamp at Belfairs - can`t remember who against though.

Also remember scoring a terrific volleyed own goal against Old Southendians.

We did win some games as well :Smile:

Another obscure team was a Sunday team something to do with WHSmiths - we used to go all over the place. I remember Barna being sent off in one game - perhaps he can remember the name of the team.

Sutton Sports in the SSL and then SBC Vets League. am now essentially 'retired' on the grounds of not being good enough to get in the team.

Southchurch Rovers when I was a teenager followed by Thames Park 2nds (and often 3rds) when a tad older - both in the Boro Comb. A couple of games in Wednesday League for the Fire Brigade (because I knew a fireman or two!); Eltonians in the Southend Sunday League (was the regular sub!) followed by Spartek and Fleetlines (both based in Great Wakering). Once I matured I turned out for Great Wakering Rovers 3rds mostly.... then 4ths when it was started! Was never much good but always came of the pitch covered in sweat. Some very happy memories.

Another obscure team was a Sunday team something to do with WHSmiths - we used to go all over the place. I remember Barna being sent off in one game - perhaps he can remember the name of the team.

Sorry I don't remember this.Don't think I was ever sent off (though I got near it quite a bit). Different times.

Yes as mentioned on another thread - I remember losing 18-1 in the rain on a swamp at Belfairs
- can`t remember who against though.

Certainly can't remember Homestead losing 18-1 to anybody.Though we did play our home matches at Belfairs.Perhaps another team?

Sorry I don't remember this.Don't think I was ever sent off (though I got near it quite a bit). Different times.

Can you remember which Sunday teams we played for - all I can remember were two brothers who had something to do with W H Smith and me driving some of the team in my Dad`s Bedford Utilibrake out somewhere in North Essex.

BTW you may not have been sent off - just a punch-up

Yes as mentioned on another thread - I remember losing 18-1 in the rain on a swamp at Belfairs - can`t remember who against though.

Ah, swampy pitches-did anyone play at Oakwood Park? The overhanging trees at the top end were an ankle deep joy for us keepers!

Ah, swampy pitches-did anyone play at Oakwood Park? The overhanging trees at the top end were an ankle deep joy for us keepers!
Yep, I played on the Oakwood Park swamp, it was up there with the slopping pitch over at Belfairs when it was frozen. I can't believe we played on pitches in such atrocious conditions. And as for the pitches at Leigh Tip......................

Westcliff Royals Sceptre League
St James Athletic Boro Comb
Courtlands Some Sunday League or other
Borough Rovers Boro Comb
Played all the crappy council pitches. Best pitch was the Civil Service Club now Cupid's. Broke my leg playing the army team Scrapnel at the Garrison. That was a good pitch too if I remember correctly. Ambulance could negotiate it nicely. :Frustrated:

Borough Rovers Boro Comb
Played all the crappy council pitches. Best pitch was the Civil Service Club now Cupid's. Broke my leg playing the army team Scrapnel at the Garrison. That was a good pitch too if I remember correctly. Ambulance could negotiate it nicely. :Frustrated:
When I played for Customs our home pitch was Cupids. As you say, very good playing surfaces.

Borough Rovers Boro Comb

Yeah I remember that.Where they had a bar that was open to all the players.Thought it was funny that none of their players fancied a drink.Understood why when I tried to run off my swift half a bit later.

Played for Homestead when a team mate broke his leg,Think it might have been at Belfairs.He had to wait a bit for the ambulance to arrive IIRC.Not nice for him or anyone else.

Last edited:
By the way - if it were, which it’s not - it would be libel not slander.

You might want to look at this:-

"Libel and slander are types of defamatory statements. Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. ... Libel and slander are now treated alike and the same rules apply to a defamatory statement regardless of whether the statement is written or oral."

Language usage changes over time you know.

1.Can you remember which Sunday teams we played for - all I can remember were two brothers who had something to do with W H Smith and me driving some of the team in my Dad`s Bedford Utilibrake out somewhere in North Essex.

2.BTW you may not have been sent off - just a punch-up

1.'Fraid that's gone in the mists of time.Edit. Remember trips in Bonzo's van +M.Staines's car but obviously they would have been for Wed.Chemico games.Or Sunday lunchtime sessions!

2.That sounds more like it,.

Last edited:
You might want to look at this:-

"Libel and slander are types of defamatory statements. Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. ... Libel and slander are now treated alike and the same rules apply to a defamatory statement regardless of whether the statement is written or oral."

Language usage changes over time you know.

Not at my age it doesn’t........

Back