• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Obscure local football teams you played for in your distant past

Yep, I played on the Oakwood Park swamp, it was up there with the slopping pitch over at Belfairs when it was frozen. I can't believe we played on pitches in such atrocious conditions. And as for the pitches at Leigh Tip......................
Leigh tip brings back a memory of one match picking at a bit of rubber and eventualy pulling out a lorry innertube!

Leigh tip brings back a memory of one match picking at a bit of rubber and eventualy pulling out a lorry innertube!
Throw in changing rooms with no electricity or running water, and, if you were lucky, just a bowl of water definitely made the Tip the place to be!

Leigh Rangers.in the late 60s
Prittlewell United from mid 70s to 1980.....we used to play in the old RED SUFC shirts.we were "founded" from the SUFC supporters club,whom we played for sometimes.
Remember playing on Canvey Is, the wind blew from Southend towards London(east to west?)...and our keeper took a goal kick.The ball went up into the air, the ball left our "box" and came back without touching anybody it.Our keeper just about stopped it from going in.
Good days

You might want to look at this:-

"Libel and slander are types of defamatory statements. Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. ... Libel and slander are now treated alike and the same rules apply to a defamatory statement regardless of whether the statement is written or oral."

Language usage changes over time you know.

Ha! It should (IMO) when it comes to prescriptive grammar. :Winking:

By the way - if it were, which it’s not - it would be libel not slander.

As a teacher of EFL you should appreciate that this is not an issue of prescriptive grammar.

By your own admission above: 'Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral.'

Unless you were listening to me shouting at you from the UK (unlikely), Shrimperzone deals in the written word and therefore my comment - if it were, which it’s not - as I explained before - would be libel not slander.

Probably best to quit while you're behind.

As a teacher of EFL you should appreciate that this is not an issue of prescriptive grammar.

By your own admission above: 'Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral.'

Unless you were listening to me shouting at you from the UK (unlikely), Shrimperzone deals in the written word and therefore my comment - if it were, which it’s not - as I explained before - would be libel not slander.

Probably best to quit while you're behind.

You clearly didn't read the explanation I posted which clearly stated inter alia that "libel and slander are now treated alike".

Do try and keep up old man.

You clearly didn't read the explanation I posted which clearly stated inter alia that "libel and slander are now treated alike".

Do try and keep up old man.

Treated alike because the same rules apply to both but slander is ORAL.

DOH!

Ok you pair of grammar police (@Tangled up in Blue & @mfurok , can we get back on topic now?

Grammar police?

Reckon that’s libellous..........(not slanderous).......

Anyway.......played for a local District League team for a couple of years.......think it was called Castletown? They were quite obscure.

Otherwise I’m the proud possessor of a Borough Comb Division 2 or 3 winners trophy with Old Southendian (alongside Soapy and Erich (RIP) ) and played with them for years - but they’re not obscure -unlike IPAROK in the Forest and District Sunday League.

My career with IPAROK ended when I was punched temporarily unconscious and came round to be sent off. No way to spend a Sunday but the Black Lion in Plaistow provided adequate compensation on Sunday lunchtimes and evenings after the games. Excellent free sausages on the bar at lunchtime too......

Grammar police?

Reckon that’s libellous..........(not slanderous).......

Anyway.......played for a local District League team for a couple of years.......think it was called Castletown? They were quite obscure.

Otherwise I’m the proud possessor of a Borough Comb Division 2 or 3 winners trophy with Old Southendian (alongside Soapy and Erich (RIP) ) and played with them for years - but they’re not obscure -unlike IPAROK in the Forest and District Sunday League.

My career with IPAROK ended when I was punched temporarily unconscious and came round to be sent off. No way to spend a Sunday but the Black Lion in Plaistow provided adequate compensation on Sunday lunchtimes and evenings after the games. Excellent free sausages on the bar at lunchtime too......

Soapy's a changed man now - supports another team!

Played in the Borough combination for Westcliff Amateurs second team for 3 seasons until they folded. Then played for the first team for a season. All as a striker, scoring a few goals along the way.

Left and went to Leigh Times playing at Left and Right back. Stayed for a couple or 3 years then moved to Sundays playing for Artic in the Sceptre league.

Moved onto play for Belvedere in the Southend and District league for 3 years as CB. Had a break for a year or 2 after getting an injury then went back to Belvedere for a couple of years.

Last but not least, signed up for a team called Shrimperzone, played CB and really enjoyed myself until a broken leg and ribs ended my career. Orm sticking me in front of the back 4 as a holding midfielder against a team in Basildon in the cup is a highlight I can't forget

As a junior Priory athletic (one club loyal)
As a senior Great Wakerering Rovers,Stambrige,Hawkwell Athletic,Hockley British Legion
And as Vet Hockley Legion again.

He met someone, moved to another town and started watching them instead. Unless it was Weevil.

Talking of Weevil - I believe I last played against him when he played for Eastwood Rangers together with Tangled Up in Blue?

Perhaps TUIB can confirm?

Back