• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
In todays echo page 7 has a spread saying that tenders are due in shortly and work is hoped to start in october after council agreed to extend time for construction.

With Sainsbury's messing up with Prospects, and White goods man and Pizza man still blackmailing for more, this looks like another time buyer to me. It also keeps a lot of fans quiet, in the vain hope that he is telling the truth, and that this might actually happen. Don't hold your breath.

Was going to post a question about this today, asking when were the tenders due back. I seem to recall it them being sent out in May for July???

Surely he must be certain as he would specify a date again without being sure? The backlash will be huge if this doesn't happen again?

Not read the article, but are we sure its not a reprint for a 10th anniversary?

With Sainsbury's messing up with Prospects, and White goods man and Pizza man still blackmailing for more, this looks like another time buyer to me. It also keeps a lot of fans quiet, in the vain hope that he is telling the truth, and that this might actually happen. Don't hold your breath.

You clearly don't know the meaning of the word blackmail. They might be seeking to get substantially more than what they're worth or they might just be seeking a fair price for their inconvenience. We don't know. Prospects might also just be looking to up the ante. Either way, it's not blackmail.

Like most people I will believe it when I see it. The article mentions a 13000 plus three-sided stadium to begin with. It could stay like this for years pending a hotel/main stand being built. Every piece of news on this project highlights the fact that there is a glaring shortage of funding for the whole scheme.
We could easily end up with a half-finished stadium, debts everywhere especially with the retail and housing market in decline. The whole thing is very worrying. It would be reassuring if Ron could name prospective tenants for the retail park, I am sure the truth is that there is some expression of interest but certainly no firm commitent from anyone. The whole thing seems a gamble and at the moment the odds are not favourable.
Although we all like to chat about the clubs fortunes on the field, this off the field scenario is far more important and worthy of more comment than it seems to generate.
The future of the club is seriously at stake here, far more important than wearing pink shirts or signing Blair Sturrock again!

Personally think that sainsbury's havent paid as a result of ron trying to extend the planning permission date. Now that has been extended and tenders have hopefully come back then i would imagine that sainsburys will be more forthcoming.

Ron, said the same on satursday night well his words where "we will have spades on site by October" wasnt to sure what he meant by that but sounds good :)

With Stobart's investment in the airport & more big companies like Easyjet coming to Southend that this would generate interest for hotel chains or whomever to help build the new ground to full completion...........

thumbnail.aspx

In todays echo page 7 has a spread saying that tenders are due in shortly and work is hoped to start in october after council agreed to extend time for construction.
The big word in all this is hoped. In the past he has hoped to do many things, but has come up well short. October to me is just one more deadline that im very afraid Ron will be unable to meet, maybe.

Ron, said the same on satursday night well his words where "we will have spades on site by October" wasnt to sure what he meant by that but sounds good :)

With clubs, hearts and diamonds arriving soon after.

With Stobart's investment in the airport & more big companies like Easyjet coming to Southend that this would generate interest for hotel chains or whomever to help build the new ground to full completion...........

You make a very good point regarding the airport and Easy Jet. Easy Jet flying out of Southend is a excellent opportunity for the club. I really hope Martin has sorted something out with them. The more people flying out of the airport means more will need a hotel bed for the night.

could start building in october this year but we have untill 2014 to start the work, oh dear 2014 it is then.

Back