• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Off-the-pitch club improvements

Striker
This is a thread for serious suggestions that could help the club improve the relationship that the club has with both the supporters and the local community. I'm less interested in what Ron says/does, and more interested in what the club can facilitate that will ensure that it's a visible, positive and important part of the local community.

As has been mentioned, the club's reputation is in the gutter, and this includes with local suppliers as well as with former staff/players/local volunteers etc.

Part of our rebuild has to be off the pitch, and we have so many willing volunteers and people at the club and around it who do great things. So I was wondering what practical suggestions we could take to a new CEO/ @stan collymore / RM / The Trust. I guess nothing is off the table, this is just a list of ideas, but obviously we need to be realistic and practical, we don't have much money, and we have a skeleton crew at the club.

A few years ago there was a push on here to help spruce up Roots Hall, offers to help out, buy pots of paints etc. Is it worth trying that again? Roots Hall was already showing its age(s) and is bound to have been neglected over lockdown. It was the fans that originally built it and I'd like to think that fans could help restore it once more.

More regular community involvement with hospitals, charities and schools in addition to the contractual obligations.

Involvement in civic events, parades, networking etc.

Recruiting backroom staff and commercial staff from the local area

Career evenings for schoolkids looking to get into the sector

Free physio evenings for the local sports community

Free training sessions for the community

Restart local holiday football camps for children

Free season tickets for children

Half-price season tickets for 2019-20 renewals

Meet the blues day

All new signings encouraged to support local outreach / school visits / hospital visits etc.

Volunteers recognised pre-match / end of season dinner

Community mental health/inclusivity football sessions (could be run by charity or local volunteers but promoted/supported by SUFC)

Kidzone at RH for pre-match family fun (not sure if practical)

Dozens of free tickets for local schools (basically give them away)

Meet the blues day

All new signings encouraged to support local outreach / school visits / hospital visits etc.

Community mental health/inclusivity football sessions (could be run by charity or local volunteers but promoted/supported by SUFC)

there is some limit on the marketing that can be done due to Football League rules but any competent marketer would know

To be fair the Community Trust do an awful lot for the community and are involved in all projects from very young to senior people (noted I don’t say old).
They also already do a lot of what has been suggested above
Why not utilise what we already have?

To be fair the Community Trust do an awful lot for the community and are involved in all projects from very young to senior people (noted I don’t say old).
They also already do a lot of what has been suggested above
Why not utilise what we already have?
Definitely. The idea is to add to what is already being done, and ensure that the people who give up their time (both as employees and volunteers) get recognised for their efforts, and hopefully make sure that these activities get the full support of the club.

A few years ago there was a push on here to help spruce up Roots Hall, offers to help out, buy pots of paints etc. Is it worth trying that again? Roots Hall was already showing its age(s) and is bound to have been neglected over lockdown. It was the fans that originally built it and I'd like to think that fans could help restore it once more.
I think the lawsuit elf n safety climate forbids such honest endeavours these days.

Lame.

Access to the players and coaches for all interested fans.

Take a training session every 2 or 3 weeks out to a local park so that the local kids etc can see what the players and coaches do and interact with them post a short workout. I realise that facilities for a full on session would not be available but a short fitness session should be possible and would help build interest in the club around the area.

I remember that well. We volunteered and the offer was refused by the Club because of insurance issues!

Access to the players and coaches for all interested fans.

Take a training session every 2 or 3 weeks out to a local park so that the local kids etc can see what the players and coaches do and interact with them post a short workout. I realise that facilities for a full on session would not be available but a short fitness session should be possible and would help build interest in the club around the area.
I think some of the Club's juniors use the all weather pitch at Eastwoodbury Lane and probably the seniors when weather is bad. As there is fencing round the area that could well be a good central spot for your idea.

Also quite a lot that the community trust delivers is from bids and not direct from the club as they are registered as a charity organisation although in fairness the club provide lots of support to them and work in partnership with them

Meet the blues day

Now there's another job for Sir Stanley if he's game - to go round and shake the hand and thank each and every volunteer and humble employee and make them feel appreciated - that's all the ticket office staff, stewards, SUCET people, groundstaff etc. Reward them with meeting an absolute legend.

I think some of the Club's juniors use the all weather pitch at Eastwoodbury Lane and probably the seniors when weather is bad. As there is fencing round the area that could well be a good central spot for your idea.

Didnt know that!

I think a tour of places within reasonable travelling distance of the ground would be likely to swell the ranks and help the rebuilding of the fanbase.

there is some limit on the marketing that can be done due to Football League rules but any competent marketer would know

Not going to be an issue any more:Sad:

I think the lawsuit elf n safety climate forbids such honest endeavours these days.

Lame.

I think the bigger issue was a lack of can-do attitude.

Better celebration of the development sides and youth teams achievements. Sometimes there was nothing on the Club social media.

There's a dedicated social media account for them, which is excellent

The club has long has a reputation as one not to do business with as you're going to have to fight to get paid. I once turned away the opportunity for a small amount of business with the club for this very reason. Its such a shame that very few local firms would want to do work for their local club unless money is paid in advance, which ain't gonna happen. It takes time to repair that sort of reputation but it has to start somewhere.

Back