• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Off-the-pitch club improvements

I think what will be key is for the new CEO is to embrace the fans engagement and consultation where possible on decisions that effect us. If the club can’t afford an idea than tell us, we all know it’s not a bottomless pit but let’s utilise fan power to help with club ideas

There's a dedicated social media account for them, which is excellent
[/QUOTE]

A single twitter account is not the same as a primary social media presence? What about facebook, Official website, Echo (although they have been better this season). It's poor.

As I commented a few weeks ago:

Over the past few months and years there are always hundreds of messages and conversations about what has gone wrong so let’s look at ways to fix it regardless of it Ron stays or goes.

Firstly - pre season - this needs to be planned well in advance to hit the ground running as soon as possible to prepare for the new season. This includes games being arranged ASAP, a training plan in place and having a management team in who can start the preparations now.

Secondly - players relationship with fans - there is tons and tons that can be done albeit this has been more difficult, but not impossible, during the pandemic. Let’s start with pre season - players could and should be seen out in public every now and then for example the good old days when they done the runs along the beach. For kids they are seeing their idols out in the normal world putting some effort in. They could also go and do meet the fans days at adventure island during the school holidays, have socially distanced meet and greets in the clubs car park or at the training ground and can also do weekly group zoom meetings for fans old and young to attend and get to know them better and just have a laugh. This goes a long way.

Thirdly - look at other teams who have had issues ie Charlton, Blackpool etc to name a couple. Their fans managed to get national attention for the mess they found themselves in which helped building wider knowledge of it all and also in the long term gave them a change of ownership and change of fortune. Exposure on this issue up until now has only really been spoken about between fans of our club and when do you ever see us on a national website or social media unless it is for a court order. Hopefully Stan can help with this and put a bit of pressure on Ron to accept help or sell up.

Fourthly, relationship between the fans and the club - yes Ron has done a few zooms although I don’t feel this have gone very well. There are a lot of broken promises such as keeping us informed about things like the stadium and other information we should know. This is a difficult one to build back up as I feel the relationship is so bad with no trust. The club could look to do online zooms with SUEPA players for the older fans to talk about some of the good old days to give a bit of positivity and also giving out free merchandise to a couple of fans every week. Doing quizzes on the social media platforms could also just slightly get the fans more engaged on a more positive way than the constant negativity. We need to change the whole mentality of the club so little things can begin to make a bigger difference.

Lastly, and I’m sure there are more things but obviously these can be discussed on the thread - transfers. Our transfer process has been absolutely shocking in recent seasons. I understand this is for a number of reasons ie our standing with our clubs and agents not being anywhere close to good always leaving us bottom of the list of clubs that players want to play for. From what was discussed last night we have around 4 players contracted for next season - SERIOUSLY! We need to get the right players in but before that we need to get a management team sorted - in my opinion it needs to be someone with conference experience.

Some great points made in these posts. There are a lot of ideas and some may work but for me as a 50 + years supporter I have never felt so far removed from my club until the last few weeks and Stan's involvement.

We need to get respect back for the club first, everyone I know and talk to thinks Fossets is a joke and is bored talking about it, our 19 CCJ'S are unbelievable and are ridiculed and our reputation for not paying players and the subsequent embargoes puts the tin lid on it.

I have really got excited since Stan's involvement but nothing RM has said so far in BBC interviews or zoom meetings have made me feel any differently towards the club itself.

I am 50/50 on PB but very happy we have a manager in place early and not a week before the new season starts but all this talk of bringing back ex players at the end of their careers just starts alarm bells ringing and makes me go "oh no here we go again"

In short meeting players, open days etc are great for kids but first of all let's start to rebuild our reputation and stop us being a laughing stock and then hopefully with a CEO in place and Stan's involvement the rest will follow ?

I will keep saying it until I am blue in the face, let's look forward not back ?

Last edited:
A designated area for home and away players family to meet and watch the game safely (especially for young family that don't need to hear or learn the abuse). Orient or Walsall are examples - there's probably better, but that's off the top of my head.

How about read the opening post and take the bashing to one of the millions of other threads relating to that.
This quote from your original post, you mean?

"As has been mentioned, the club's reputation is in the gutter, and this includes with local suppliers as well as with former staff/players/local volunteers etc."

A designated area for home and away players family to meet and watch the game safely (especially for young family that don't need to hear or learn the abuse). Orient or Walsall are examples - there's probably better, but that's off the top of my head.

Bit unfair to compare us with the big boys in the EFL :Whistling: So Dagenham are a good NL example.

All ready people are full of what the players need to do. How about us fans getting behind them next season thats the biggest improvement you can make. One well known former player and a recent coach said he hated playing at RH. "If you weren't 2-0 up after 15 minutes the atmosphere could be toxic"

I bumped into Gary Nelson at Southend airport just before lockdown. He recognised some of us as Shrimpers and came over for a 30 minute chat. He remembered all the games we had been to where he played and talked us through his goals. Back then loyalty was a two way street. He really was one of our own and because of that he still is.

Be good to see a weekend preseason mini tournament
Remember a few years back it involved Col Ewe, Orient, Wham and played over Saturday/Sunday, think we won it on a penalty shoot out, Mel Capleton was in goal
Even if we had local non league involved be good to watch , Daggers, Canvey, Concord

It goes without saying that covid principles might impact some of the ideas - however Very small thing- allow fans to watch training sessions. I have never been but I very much enjoyed reading updates from those that did go and felt “ more connected “ to the players , especially to the players that might not actually play on a Saturday.

Additionally whatever we d something we need to be “seen” doing it. It needs to be “sold “ better. If the players visit a local school then advertise the fact it happened

A few years ago there was a push on here to help spruce up Roots Hall, offers to help out, buy pots of paints etc. Is it worth trying that again? Roots Hall was already showing its age(s) and is bound to have been neglected over lockdown. It was the fans that originally built it and I'd like to think that fans could help restore it once more.

Absolutely this. Local non league teams put out appeals for clean up/paint/general help getting the ground spruced up prior to the season starting. Why not us too? Load of people turned up after the club appealed for volunteers to clear the pitch of snow a few years ago prior to the Walsall game going ahead.

How about a designated area for each home game with free tickets issued to local schools.

How about arranging more fixtures against local sides such as Maldon & Tiptree, Burnham Ramblers, Concord etc

How about a designated area for each home game with free tickets issued to local schools.

How about arranging more fixtures against local sides such as Maldon & Tiptree, Burnham Ramblers, Concord etc
To be fair i think the club do give tickets to local schools and younger ages at sports clubs

Absolutely this. Local non league teams put out appeals for clean up/paint/general help getting the ground spruced up prior to the season starting. Why not us too? Load of people turned up after the club appealed for volunteers to clear the pitch of snow a few years ago prior to the Walsall game going ahead.

Tried that. It was shut down due to H&S concerns.

The club has long has a reputation as one not to do business with as you're going to have to fight to get paid. I once turned away the opportunity for a small amount of business with the club for this very reason. Its such a shame that very few local firms would want to do work for their local club unless money is paid in advance, which ain't gonna happen. It takes time to repair that sort of reputation but it has to start somewhere.

Same, I know many people of all different ages from all different types of trades and they've done work for the club and all of them say the same thing. They'll never do work for the club again, have a real hatred towards the club now and will never ever go (on the odd occasion like they used to) as a fan ever again. They all got paid in the end but some only after 5 months after the job was completed and having to constantly chase and chase. IMO, you don't treat people that way.

Reactions: Jai
Restart "Meet the Blues" Day with the following

* New kit available to buy :Winking2:
* Players available to meet the kids / fans
* Legends match, local kids matches
* Local singers (not Phil) / dancers / kids entertainment
* Food stalls
* Something to entertain the non football loving members of the family..?

Other ideas
More school freebie tickets
Better food
Local beers (Leigh on Sea Brewery??)
Somewhere for away fans to drink
Maybe include a few U21 games into the season ticket price (and play the games at RH)
Onions (obviously)

Same, I know many people of all different ages from all different types of trades and they've done work for the club and all of them say the same thing. They'll never do work for the club again, have a real hatred towards the club now and will never ever go (on the odd occasion like they used to) as a fan ever again. They all got paid in the end but some only after 5 months after the job was completed and having to constantly chase and chase. IMO, you don't treat people that way.
That's not just since RM took over, my Dad did all the work on the club vehicles and never got paid by Jobson until long after he did the work and having had to send loads of chasers.

He stopped taking their work in the end but continued with quite a lot of the players own private cars.

Back