• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OFT not to investigate Fuel Prices further

Dave, you do work for a company in the industry to be fair.

I don't really believe that tax etc have pushed prices up as much as they have done in the past 10-15 years. And the fact supermarkets can have price wars means there is flexibility in the margins.

Personally I think it's a big cartel, and because consumers don't have much choice, they suffer.

The price of crude oil goes up, we pay at the pumps. The price of crude oil goes down, the price at the pump stays as it is.

They are mugging us all off.

Just bought a diesel motor now, more mpg means im saving a bit of money

The price of crude oil goes up, we pay at the pumps. The price of crude oil goes down, the price at the pump stays as it is.

They are mugging us all off.

Just bought a diesel motor now, more mpg means im saving a bit of money

People just say these things because that is what the media say, but where are the real facts to back this up? Take for example the price of petrol at the pumps has fallen by about 4-5 pence since the beginning of December.

Napster, Yes the Supermarkets have price wars. The flexability which you alude to is not down to them selling at a massive profit to start with, but more to do with the fact they can afford to sell at near no profit or a loss leader as it means more people will buy the products inside the store. Note that Tesco are generally the most expensive supermarket for fuel as they are the biggest supermarket share already, whereas Morrisons and Asda are generally the lowest priced for fuel, as they use price wars to generate bigger in store sales.

What a lot of people often forget, but thankfully the Indepenent here, and Sky the other day did point out is the massive effect the £/$ fx has on the price of fuel, and that the price of crude falling will not necessarily mean a fall at the pumps if the exchange rate is heading in the wrong direction.... indeed, when Watchdog did a piece on this a while back, they had a graph showing two trend lines, pump prices (in sterling) vs crude price (in dollars), but chose to totally ignore the fact the exchange rate would have (or they could have converted the crude price into sterling at the relevent rate) which made the info they broadcast quite useless, or more likely suited to their own mission.

Dave, you do work for a company in the industry to be fair.

I don't really believe that tax etc have pushed prices up as much as they have done in the past 10-15 years. And the fact supermarkets can have price wars means there is flexibility in the margins.

Personally I think it's a big cartel, and because consumers don't have much choice, they suffer.

Why not?

The cost of a pint has doubled in the last ten years. I'd guess cigarettes have more than doubled as well.

Every budget they seem to announce a rise in duty on fuel, alcohol and tobacco.

lets look at some numbers

In July 2007, you could get over $2 to the £1, and fuel duty was only 48.35ppl, as well as VAT being only 17.5%

In January 2013, you get only $1.58 to the £1, and fuel duty is at 57.95ppl, as well as VAT being 20%

Davros - crude (Brent) was $140 a barrel 2 years ago. You haven't taken that into account.

Davros - crude (Brent) was $140 a barrel 2 years ago. You haven't taken that into account.

I was highlighting the external factors of fuel pricing (ie non raw product costs) that would have an effect on the price of fuel, before considering brent crude prices.

Back