• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh Dear China

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Just seen on the news that all the Chinese wear protective masks in the Cities. Even I was shocked to see how bad the polluted smog was. Even with masks it affects their health and unborn babies. Can't be good for the planet either.
An absolute disgrace.

You often see Chinese wearing masks in London, think it's just the norm for them now!

There's over a billion of them. They account for a tenth of the world's population. It was always going to be bad, environmentally speaking.

More importantly, we all want cheap goods made in China. Until we are prepared to pay more so that China doesn't continue to be the world's factory, and manufacturing is spread about a bit better that will continue.

It's not all China's fault, although I'm sure they could improve things should they wish.

You often see Chinese wearing masks in London, think it's just the norm for them now!

This was thick smog tho. When the English reporter took his mask off for a moment, he said it was difficult to breath and it was hurting his lungs.
Normally the laid back Chinese are scared stiff of the government and secret service, and what might happen to them and their family if the complain about anything, but they have started small demonstrations about the smog.

Is it any wonder when they're building 4 new coal fired power plants every week?

Pollution aside just be aware that Chinese also wear masks if they have a cold. I can't see that it makes a blind bit of difference but, here in HK SARS is still fresh in the minds and whether you know it or not you are thermalled on arrival. Japanese also do the mask/cold thing. As for the pollution we suffer here if the wind blows down from the S China factories. I can tell you there is at least recognition of the issue now rather than sweeping it under the carpet.

I'm really not here to defend China, the "mainlanders" are not popular here in HK apart from their $ but as posted before China does recognise the problem and have acknowledged that only 3 of 74 cities met new tougher air standards for 2013. You have to give these guys a chance even though it won't come quick enough for the west. I'd be keen not to upset China as the worlds biggest investor in US Treasury they have more power in their hands than some night think.

Back