• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I meant every coach male or female are capable of actually passing or trapping the ball.

To remedy the above every person applying for their level 1 should undertake a very basic test of ball skills such as being able to pass the ball in a reasonable accurate fashion and are able to control/trap the ball again to a reasonable level,I have witnessed well meaning mums and dads either trying to save a folding team or start one up yet they cannot trap a bag of sand and yet still obtain their level 1...That's no good for them or children they are coaching.

Shearer had a go but that Newcastle team were relegated weeks before AS arrived mainly because the team were in free fall and drained of all confidence,Shearer is a very wealthy chap and his salary at BBC is none too shabby either so why continue as the manager anywhere just to be abused.

It's easy to criticise the Level 1 but it is what it is. It's an introduction to good coaching principles so that people who do end up in that situation aren't running young kids through drills that'd make a Navy SEAL commander blush and heaping pressure onto players to the extent that they walk away from the game. Nobody takes the Level 1 too seriously, and most clubs I've come across now want L2 as a minimum.

And if what I'm hearing's true, then the L1 as everyone knows it won't be around for much longer anyway.

Shearer walked away from management because he realised he wasn't cut out for the job, he's too arrogant to admit he'd have to change and he's too lazy given how much the BBC pay him to wear a terrible shirt and criticise players from the safety of a television studio.

It's easy to criticise the Level 1 but it is what it is. It's an introduction to good coaching principles so that people who do end up in that situation aren't running young kids through drills that'd make a Navy SEAL commander blush and heaping pressure onto players to the extent that they walk away from the game. Nobody takes the Level 1 too seriously, and most clubs I've come across now want L2 as a minimum.

And if what I'm hearing's true, then the L1 as everyone knows it won't be around for much longer anyway.

Shearer walked away from management because he realised he wasn't cut out for the job, he's too arrogant to admit he'd have to change and he's too lazy given how much the BBC pay him to wear a terrible shirt and criticise players from the safety of a television studio.

The level 1 was an ill conceived idea from the loons at the FA fuelled by their silly manual,The sheer thought that they thought that people once attaining L1 all would be well was indeed alarming having witnessed non footballers gain the badge or complete nutters whose main aim was shouting at their charges or up their own arses types who preffered thier own voice than listening to anyone else.

I have been coached by ex professionals with more badges than Blue Peter or blokes with EUFA B license and many many people with L1 yet one of my favourite coaches of all time was a teammates dad who had no badge whatsoever!

The Level One was an excellent idea that was, in retrospect, executed poorly. It was designed as an introduction to good coaching practices and principles that would reverberate around grassroots and, to be fair to the FA, it has been successful on that front. The average grassroots coach is now far more educated than they were 10 years ago, and the state of the game at this level is far better than it was 10 years ago.

The course is now outdated and efforts are being made to rectify that. From my understanding the Level One in its current form will be phased out as of next year and replaced with a new one built around the current FA Youth Award Module One, which is far more appropriate.

Playing experience (or lack of) - That is my point about coaching. In its purest form, a football coach, as with any other sport, business, career, life coaching etc, does NOT need to be skilled or experienced in a specific discipline, so if skills training is required, to teach or enhance technical expertise, which is very likely at grass roots level, that is a trainer or mentor's job! What is clear for a trainer, mentor is that specific experience matters but for a coach what they do need to do is be excellent communicators. That is generally why the best coaches are not high profile former players! In my view, it does explain why the best coaches are the less successful former players, as per Roy Hodgson, Jose Mourhinio and dare I say it, Sven Goran Eriksen, who, for the record, was a superb coach (for on the pitch rather than in the bedroom action!) ;-)

I have coached a snooker player, who is excellent already, where i barely know one end of a cue to the other... What is without doubt was his match performance dramatically improved following the coaching sessions we had. I cannot, as a coach, offer advice or opinion unless asked to do so, which would have been a waste of breathe anyway! However, what I do know is how to do is tap into an individual's learning style, get them to reflect on their own performance, and raise their awareness through asking the right questions. The point is, the individual / team already know the answers, but they do not always know the question, let alone that there is an answer to be found!

Well said.

As examples, Roy Hodgson is widely regarded as an excellent coach and an intelligent and thoughtful communicator. He barely played above non-league level. His teaching career probably benefited his coaching career significantly. He is probably better respected as a coach abroad than in England - again, communication is key.

Jose Mourinho is widely regarded as one of the best coaches and managers around. You only needed to see a glimpse of Soccer Aid to notice how he managed to get the attention and respect of (non) players and used basic concepts to get them organised. He also didn't really have much of a playing career and probably owes more to the fact he was an excellent (multi-lingual) communicator and translator and places a lot on communication skills.

It might also have something to do with studying Sports Sciences and also teaching PE for 5 years. He's more like Hodgson than you realise.

It might also have something to do with studying Sports Sciences and also teaching PE for 5 years. He's more like Hodgson than you realise.

ahh i didn't realise that he was a teacher as well. interesting.

2 years ago we were all being told we had to emulate Spain's set up.

Whose set up should we model ourselves on after this World Cup seeing as they look to be going out in the group round....

2 years ago we were all being told we had to emulate Spain's set up.

Whose set up should we model ourselves on after this World Cup seeing as they look to be going out in the group round....

We absolutely should still look to emulate the Spanish model. There's no other country in World football that churns out home grown talent like Spain and that's something we've routinely failed at. When people say we should copy the Spanish I think sometimes there's far too much emphasis on that being to copy the way they play, when really all we need is the attitudes to youth development and talent progression.

If you consider the FA's goal to be to mount a strong challenge for the World Cup then, by and large, it's only really the playing talent where they've let us down. Our tournament preparation is largely excellent, our elite-level facilities are now some of the best in the world and we've consistently hired world class coaches to lead the squad. If we can add to the available talent pool, then we won't be too far away.

Exactly. I don't think anyone was ever looking for us to be a carbon copy of Spain, and their defeats against two very impressive sides in this tournament shoudln't detract from that anyway. We want to be consistently producing technically strong players and then getting them gametime early as the Spanish do. England won't ever play like Spain but that shouldn't be the objective.

The media within this country will ultimately break every England manager whilst the FA chose blokes who should have been nowhere near the hot seat .

Any defeat is quickly followed by derision from the press which must take it's toll on managers and players alike and fans don't help by booing at games which may result in less bums on seats so the FA become nervous about losing revenue.

The current WC has been low key from the media/fans which in fairness should be the way in every tournament .

The World Cup is the pinacle of football. I love Southend but an England World Cup victory would be the great sporting moment I could imagine. The World Cup should never be low key.

There is a level of expectation around England and managers who fail to meet that expectation are derided but that expectation isn't a particularly high one. Expectations are typically last 8. Managers who don't reach that level (Taylor, Capello) are mocked and those who surpass it even by a round are absolved of all previous sins and hailed as heroes. For the amount of money in the English game I don't think expectations should be seen as being too high and much prefer that they exist than England ever feel like they're making up the numbers.

The World Cup is the pinacle of football. I love Southend but an England World Cup victory would be the great sporting moment I could imagine. The World Cup should never be low key.

There is a level of expectation around England and managers who fail to meet that expectation are derided but that expectation isn't a particularly high one. Expectations are typically last 8. Managers who don't reach that level (Taylor, Capello) are mocked and those who surpass it even by a round are absolved of all previous sins and hailed as heroes. For the amount of money in the English game I don't think expectations should be seen as being too high and much prefer that they exist than England ever feel like they're making up the numbers.

The expectations have over the years became less and less and IMO rightly so as we flatter to deceive every time,We qualify against the minnows then once in the tournament proper we simply cannot match the better teams be it missing penalties or just being battered.

No English person wants this but ATM that is the way it it.

The media within this country will ultimately break every England manager whilst the FA chose blokes who should have been nowhere near the hot seat .

Absolute nonsense. If you take the last six or seven full-time managerial appointments the FA has had to make, you can only really make a case that Keegan and McClaren were poor choices at the time. Keegan was the media favourite and McClaren got the job because we scared away Scolari. Eriksson routinely qualified for tournament with consummate ease and we made three consecutive QFs with him, Capello has the highest win rate in England history and only fell on his sword because John Terry's a vile human being, and Hodgson's quietly going about his business in creating a new, more modern England.

Absolute nonsense. If you take the last six or seven full-time managerial appointments the FA has had to make, you can only really make a case that Keegan and McClaren were poor choices at the time. Keegan was the media favourite and McClaren got the job because we scared away Scolari. Eriksson routinely qualified for tournament with consummate ease and we made three consecutive QFs with him, Capello has the highest win rate in England history and only fell on his sword because John Terry's a vile human being, and Hodgson's quietly going about his business in creating a new, more modern England.

Win ratios are boosted by playing constantly against the likes of San Marino!

Capello's reign was a disaster IMO as his only tournament was coming second to the USA in the group stage then being thumped by Germany in round 2,Keegan realised he was out of his depth whilst McClaren,Taylor,Revie were all poor decisions.

Yes, Roy Hodgson the internationally respected manager, not someone whose idea of international is sending their dog to open a Monaco bank account.

Yes, Roy Hodgson the internationally respected manager, not someone whose idea of international is sending their dog to open a Monaco bank account.

Rednapp was overlooked get over it!

More to the point having read several books where many ex players stated Brian Clough back in the day should have got the gig and who knows he could have ended the hurt.

Redknapp wasn't overlooked. Hodgson was the far better and more qualified candidate and, as such, first choice.

Back