• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Old Computer

Andyhsufc

Director
I think that my really old Dell Dimension finally packed up a couple of days ago. I turned it on and the hard drive is making a funny clicking sound.

Is there anything I can do to rescue it??

Also, how do you dispose of computers now??

Thanks in advance!

Usually when a hard disc starts making noises like those you describe it's because the heads in the hard drive are spinning up but the contact elements aren't able to read that section or portion of the disc. Usually it's the boot sector that goes first. If the computer won't even boot up but just hangs on a black screen when you hear these sounds then it's more of less kapput.

Question though. Depending on how old the system is it may be worth while buying a dirt cheap small hard drive and seeing if that works. If it does stick with the small drive and invest in a second larger external USB one and just leave the small one for the operating system and essential files.

Usually when a hard disc starts making noises like those you describe it's because the heads in the hard drive are spinning up but the contact elements aren't able to read that section or portion of the disc. Usually it's the boot sector that goes first. If the computer won't even boot up but just hangs on a black screen when you hear these sounds then it's more of less kapput.

Question though. Depending on how old the system is it may be worth while buying a dirt cheap small hard drive and seeing if that works. If it does stick with the small drive and invest in a second larger external USB one and just leave the small one for the operating system and essential files.

I mean, I'm not too bothered because I have also got a laptop but I did like having a back-up. The only thing with that is that I haven't got the XP recovery disks so what would I do in terms of an operating system. My old hard drive in the PC was around 30GB (I cant believe I managed to survive on that for so long!). How much do they go for??

Thanks for the advice btw!

In a word mate "****ed"

Try taking the HDD to a repair shop, they maybe able to recover any data (But it will cost a fair bit, so it is up to you if it is worth it)

As for disposing. Why not give it to charity ? http://www.cftd.co.uk/cftd.htm

this is heavy ****, have you thought about smashing it with a hammer?

failing that spill milk down the back then leave it out to dry in the garden, bobs your uncle as good as new ACER

Hmm, 30gig you say. I suspect that it's not going to be worth trying to recover any data as I would assume all your important material is on the laptop. I suggest running a large magnet over both sides of the disc or with the aid of some jump leads connecting a metal part of the casing to your car and turning it over. In the majority (or so I've been told) both ways will render the disc utterly un-recoverable.

To buy a new 30+ gig hard drive I suspect your best bet would be Ebay but that would almost certainly be 'clean' with no OS installed and probably rarer than a Tilly signing (joke) To get one with an OS pre-installed I would recommend AUT in Shoebury .... http://www.autdirect.co.uk/

Bubz

Hmm, 30gig you say. I suspect that it's not going to be worth trying to recover any data as I would assume all your important material is on the laptop. I suggest running a large magnet over both sides of the disc or with the aid of some jump leads connecting a metal part of the casing to your car and turning it over. In the majority (or so I've been told) both ways will render the disc utterly un-recoverable.

To buy a new 30+ gig hard drive I suspect your best bet would be Ebay but that would almost certainly be 'clean' with no OS installed and probably rarer than a Tilly signing (joke) To get one with an OS pre-installed I would recommend AUT in Shoebury .... http://www.autdirect.co.uk/

Bubz

Thanks for that information; I have contacted them by email.

Just a couple of other questions if that is ok? -

1) Are they quite easy to fit (it is an IDE hard drive iirc)
2) If I did decide to get rid of it, I would take the hard drive out. How do you dispose of the rest of it (screen, tower etc?).

Thanks for that information; I have contacted them by email.

Just a couple of other questions if that is ok? -

1) Are they quite easy to fit (it is an IDE hard drive iirc)
2) If I did decide to get rid of it, I would take the hard drive out. How do you dispose of the rest of it (screen, tower etc?).

Very easy to fit. Just plug n play really. Just make sure the pins on the rear are set to 'primary' drive. Instructions will be in the leaflet that will come with it. If it's got a pre-installed OS it'll just boot up and run it's first self configuration set up and install all the necessary Windows drivers. Apart from re-installing your own software and drivers that's about it. About 30 minutes total.

As for disposing of the old computer hardware. People like this are good at what they do and they collect too. http://www.computerdisposals.co.uk/?gclid=CKShsoW9y5sCFc0B4wodJgnKJA

Very easy to fit. Just plug n play really. Just make sure the pins on the rear are set to 'primary' drive. Instructions will be in the leaflet that will come with it. If it's got a pre-installed OS it'll just boot up and run it's first self configuration set up and install all the necessary Windows drivers. Apart from re-installing your own software and drivers that's about it. About 30 minutes total.

As for disposing of the old computer hardware. People like this are good at what they do and they collect too. http://www.computerdisposals.co.uk/?gclid=CKShsoW9y5sCFc0B4wodJgnKJA

Thanks for all your help. Been very useful!

In terms of cost for recovering data off a fried hard-drive, how much are we talking approx?

Depends on the size of the drive, what portions or sectors you want recovered, the age of it and what's likely to have fried it in the first place. They're not cheap. Unless it is absolutely essential information that's lost then I doubt whether your ordinary casual computer user would find it financially viable.

I think that my really old Dell Dimension finally packed up a couple of days ago. I turned it on and the hard drive is making a funny clicking sound.

Is there anything I can do to rescue it??

Also, how do you dispose of computers now??

Thanks in advance!

If you want info off the drive, it may be worth sticking it into another PC as a secondary drive to see if the drive is readable, even if not bootable. If readable, you can at least copy some data off.

Back