• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Old Football Grounds

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
For all you ground hopping anoraks like me, you might like the link below as it has cine footage of loads of old grounds in the 70's. Unfortunately no RH, but some old & forgotten crackers like Bristol Rovers Eastville Stadium, The Old Den, The Valley with the huge open terrace & even old teams like Southport & Newport County.

http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13962&st=0

Makes you realise what dangerous dumps these grounds were!

For all you ground hopping anoraks like me, you might like the link below as it has cine footage of loads of old grounds in the 70's. Unfortunately no RH, but some old & forgotten crackers like Bristol Rovers Eastville Stadium, The Old Den, The Valley with the huge open terrace & even old teams like Southport & Newport County.

http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13962&st=0

Makes you realise what dangerous dumps these grounds were!

I worked on the Eastville site in Bristol which became an IKEA warehouse,and they left one floodlight pillar,for old times sake i guess,i also worked on the Highbury conversion to 800 odd flats,a strange feeling standing on the area which was once the pitch and looking up at the stands/flats,great find BS so many memories.

Just checking out this brilliant thread again (nice one Big Shrimp),check out Chester city,scares the **** out of me.

I worked on the Eastville site in Bristol which became an IKEA warehouse,and they left one floodlight pillar,for old times sake i guess,i also worked on the Highbury conversion to 800 odd flats,a strange feeling standing on the area which was once the pitch and looking up at the stands/flats,great find BS so many memories. I also worked on the original Wembley Stadium.

No surprise to me there....:whistling:

Just checking out this brilliant thread again (nice one Big Shrimp),check out Chester city,scares the **** out of me.

I love sites that show old grounds, especially when the clubs don't exist any more like Third Lanark or scarily, Chester.

Its one of the reasons I've always taken a camera to games. One day i will scan all the old photos of mine & put together my own website or just share them as and when I think there's a reason, i.e. we're playing that team away that week.

I love sites that show old grounds, especially when the clubs don't exist any more like Third Lanark or scarily, Chester.

Its one of the reasons I've always taken a camera to games. One day i will scan all the old photos of mine & put together my own website or just share them as and when I think there's a reason, i.e. we're playing that team away that week.

Great stuff, Rich. I took a few pics of Sealand Road way back when - think it was January '88. We drew 1-1 and played in all yellow. Did 'dodgy' Derek Hall get us a late equaliser or is that just my imagination running away with me ...:unsure:

Great stuff, Rich. I took a few pics of Sealand Road way back when - think it was January '88. We drew 1-1 and played in all yellow. Did 'dodgy' Derek Hall get us a late equaliser or is that just my imagination running away with me ...:unsure:

Think you are right Rob, I'm sure I was at that one.

Great thread, and bad memries of The Den and Somerton Park I remember going to The Old Den with a Millwall supporting work colleague, Blues won 2-1 with Micky Stead scoring the winner a few minutes from the end, I was half way into orbit before I remembered where I was, and had to turn my act of celebration into one of frustration for fear of not getting out of New Cross alive.

I also remember a few of us going to Newport one wet and windy night in the 70's and being chased by a bunch of blokes wielding iron bars, we were chased into a dead end with a sodding great wall, fear lends you wings as I reckon we went over that bloody wall without touching the top, and without the necessary Fosbury flop. Welsh gits.

Think you are right Rob, I'm sure I was at that one.

I also remember a few of us going to Newport one wet and windy night in the 70's and being chased by a bunch of blokes wielding iron bars, we were chased into a dead end with a sodding great wall, fear lends you wings as I reckon we went over that bloody wall without touching the top, and without the necessary Fosbury flop. Welsh gits.

I was also at this match and remember the fighting behind the goal. The main stand was equipped with deck chairs!

I'd forgotten what an absolute toilet Springfield Park was .. with that huge barn on top of a grassy bank and about 6 concrete steps at the bottom, the fact my 3 visits there culminated in 4-1 3-0 and 1-0 defeats only added to my dislike of the place

Chester are still playing & getting higher crowds than when they were in the Football League! You could argue that they are no longer the same club but the fans are the same and they are using the history and club records of Chester City FC on the Chester FC web site.

I would have been at that match as well. Just checked the records & it was David Crown who scored.
It was the same season as our 8-1 defeat at Gillingham, mind you the next away game at Notts County was an improvement we only lost 6-2. Next away game after that was much better we only lost 4-1 at Port Vale. We also lost 7-0 away at Sunderland on a Tuesday night that season. Still managed to stay up though.

I would have been at that match as well. Just checked the records & it was David Crown who scored.
It was the same season as our 8-1 defeat at Gillingham, mind you the next away game at Notts County was an improvement we only lost 6-2. Next away game after that was much better we only lost 4-1 at Port Vale. We also lost 7-0 away at Sunderland on a Tuesday night that season. Still managed to stay up though.

Thanks for this, UtS. I was at all those games - what a season! Definitely was a great escape - and thanks in no small part to the goals, 17 if memory serves better on this occasion, to one David Ian Crown. Peter Butler also played his part when he joined us from Cambridge too.

** shudders **

This was when i was slap bang in the middle of a run of 5 years 9 months (312 games) without missing a match, home or away

I got better :dizzy:

...and now you don't miss an episode of Neighbours. :raspberry:

How very dare you !!! i got up at 8am this morning to watch the cricket, Crick arrived with about 2 overs to go as i needed him to price up for some carpet on this house overhaul i'm currently working on, after he left i had lunch with my sister and went to work at half one getting in about 9:15

Neighbours indeed ... I should be so lucky (lucky lucky lucky)

** shudders **

This was when i was slap bang in the middle of a run of 5 years 9 months (312 games) without missing a match, home or away

I got better :dizzy:

You were a regular (and distinctive) name in 'Blues News' when that came out a season or so after - in the Supporters' Club snippets written by by Marion Caves. :sherlock:

Back