• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Old football programmes

Shall I keep my football programmes?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

adwebb16

Coach
Having a mass 'loft clearout', you know the ones where your back is on the verge of giving way, your sweating profusely and you've smacked your head on the same f**king wooden beam 3 times over.

Half the time is spent being nostalgic the other half shouting 'What about this? Do you want this still?'

BUT The killer question, what about football programmes. I have about 10 years worth of football programmes, predominantly from SUFC dating back 10 years, the further back you go, the younger I was therefore the more I used to buy a programme with matching ticket tucked inside the sleeve.

Now bear in mind I need to make space, I am never going to read them all again, maybe a cursor glance every time I’m in the loft and reminisce of those old days when we were in League 2.......oh how things change.

Do I keep 'em or chuck 'em?

Having a mass 'loft clearout', you know the ones where your back is on the verge of giving way, your sweating profusely and you've smacked your head on the same f**king wooden beam 3 times over.

Half the time is spent being nostalgic the other half shouting 'What about this? Do you want this still?'

BUT The killer question, what about football programmes. I have about 10 years worth of football programmes, predominantly from SUFC dating back 10 years, the further back you go, the younger I was therefore the more I used to buy a programme with matching ticket tucked inside the sleeve.

Now bear in mind I need to make space, I am never going to read them all again, maybe a cursor glance every time I’m in the loft and reminisce of those old days when we were in League 2.......oh how things change.

Do I keep 'em or chuck 'em?

Talk about state the obvious lol

Keep them..

My Dad had hundreds of Southend home and away programmes and a few old Man united (from his uncle) ones a few years back but he ended up chucking them out. We were sorting out which ones to throw and which to sell or give away when we came across a nice original 1966 World Cup Final Programme! Unfortunately it had a couple of little rips but I rather enjoyed reading through it for the first time, baring in mind it was 21 years before I was born.

There is a great nostalgia to old programmes, and I even have a book documenting the History of the Football Programme's which is pretty interesting. Modern day programmes, however don't have the same appeal for me. They are far too Glossy and perfect.

Keep em mate. Once you get rid you can never have again.

Either that or at least put them on Ebay. Someone will be glad of them and you might get a few £ too.

Keep mine, still have the ones I got in 1980/81 and good to look back on.

Did have one from the 60's but think I lost it, not even sure where I got it from now as wasnt born till 1970

Still got all mine from the 70's and 80's together with the football league thing that came with them. Even got the club handbooks for the 70's and various purchases from the program fair they used to have on a Sunday morning at the Shrimper club:(

They don't take up that much space, but when they are gone they will leave a hole in your soul.

Seriously, I have never regretted keeping memorabilia, but I have deeply regretted throwing some away.

They don't take up that much space, but when they are gone they will leave a hole in your soul.

Seriously, I have never regretted keeping memorabilia, but I have deeply regretted throwing some away.

Sorry but this is cobblers. You can always buy it back. As long as you have the memory that is what counts. Ive got rid of loads of SUFC stuff, kept the best, and I dont regret any of it. (Although the John Gymer-signed crotch support could have gone to a more deserving place than Sue Ryder's)

Sorry but this is cobblers. You can always buy it back. As long as you have the memory that is what counts. Ive got rid of loads of SUFC stuff, kept the best, and I dont regret any of it. (Although the John Gymer-signed crotch support could have gone to a more deserving place than Sue Ryder's)

Why? All I said was you lose nothing by keeping them, but you might well regret it later if you let them go. The programme you actually bought and read at the game, perhaps shared with your old man, is a completely different object from a random one bought off the internet, and often handling these things brings back memories you would otherwise never recover.

Just because you're an unsentimental cynical old git doesn't mean we all are, Napster.

:thump:

Back