• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Hi all,

On the George Best Thread, we were talking about old matches that used to be on Match of the Week and in particular, those involving us. I mentioned I would find out from the EAFA (East Anglian Film Archive) if they had access to them and had the below very helpful response :-

Hello Andy

Thanks for your message.

We do look after the Anglia collection here, and I know of the series you’re referring to. Whilst we hold the physical copies, the rights are owned by ITV still, and we would need to ask permission from them in terms of making any copies, and licensing for use. It is possible, given the subject matter, that there would be third party copyright considerations in addition to ITVs.

Perhaps as a starting point, if you pass me the dates/list of matches that you’re interested in, then I can see what we hold here, so you’ve at least got a list for information. Once we know what we’re dealing with we can take it from there – I should warn you though, that it’s often quite an expensive process transferring material from original formats, let alone licensing it for use in a new work. If/when we get to the point of getting in touch with Anglia, we might need a little bit more information about what you plan to do with the film i.e. for screening, for retail, online, for research and reference only, etc.

Best wishes,

Clare

The matches covered are listed in amongst the below link :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/Anglia.html

I will stay in touch with Clare, but wondered if anyone had any input they wanted to add.

I've gone through that website with a reasonable toothcomb, so anyone else is welcome to cross-check, in case I missed any matches.

I make it the following 15 matches :-

5th January 1974 Peterborough United 3-1 Southend United
12th January 1974 Cambridge United 3-2 Southend United
4th January 1975 Southend United 2-2 QPR
1st February 1975 Southend United 1-1 Preston NE
13th September 1975 Southend United 3-3 Port Vale
29th November 1975 Peterborough United 3-2 Southend United
14th February 1976 Derby County 1-0 Southend United
17th April 1976 Colchester United 2-1 Southend United
2nd October 1976 Cambridge United 2-3 Southend United
19th November 1977 Southend United 1-0 Watford
24th March 1979 Southend United 0-0 Bury
29th December 1979 Southend United 1-3 Wimbledon
15th November 1980 Southend United 1-0 Bury
11th April 1981 Southend United 0-0 Lincoln City
19th September 1981 Southend United 2-0 Portsmouth

Also noticed this one : Chelmsford City v Ipswich Town (F A Cup - 13th January 1973)

Last edited:
a few interesting games.
2.10.79 Camb:u away or Qpr....happy days

Valentines Day 1976, away to Derby in the FA Cup. A wonderful day out (despite the score) on a train which was longer than the platform at Southend Central. Good memories

Yep, I was on that train.

Amazing feeling. A train full of SUFC fans, non-stop to Derby!

Great days!

Great work so far Andy T - and, as said before, willing to pay over the odds for said footage......

I know it wasn't on Anglia but wasn't the Watford v Southend 1-1 promotion year draw on tv BBC?,would love to see the highlights of that game

Back