• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

be good if you can Os,love the old photos of the lads from the 70s.Great to see their "mugs" again.Have got up in the loft,somewhere,with my old paper cuttings(of me,if you know what i mean!!!),some paper cutting from the Echo as well,pics of the old North bank-pak...we would remember many "young faces",some from leigh comm..happy days
When we had a Leigh Comm get together last year Billy Best Boot Laces was handing out pictures that he had colected over the years , perhaps you should get in touch with him .

If you're older than the stadium this photo might bring back memories. If all these faces are new to you find .. Ben Coker; Kevan Hurst; .. and any other resemblances you care to dream up!2001102_edited-2.jpg

We played in stripes before that, 1961-1965, maybe 1966 as well.
That stripes kit from the late 60s was a direct nick from WBA, and the reproduced retro shirt had the wrong shade of blue.
However, would love to see the 62-64 butcher-strip kit back, or available as a retro buy.

It shows my age, but can name most of the team. Posted elsewhere, this was my favourite kit of all time: distinctive and bright.
If you're older than the stadium this photo might bring back memories. If all these faces are new to you find .. Ben Coker; Kevan Hurst; .. and any other resemblances you care to dream up!View attachment 2883

If you're older than the stadium this photo might bring back memories. If all these faces are new ato you find .. Ben Coker; Kevan Hurst; .. and any other resemblances you care to dream up!View attachment 2883

thats a great kit,4 "faces" jumped out at me, J.Mac..M.Beesley..E.shepherd &T.Bentley..

Shame to think that some of the young faces are no longer with us Johnny Mckinven for one.If I remember rightly Ken Jones ran a scaffolding firm I worked alongside around 20 years ago.Unfortunately he was more interested in talking about his Millwall years (yawn ).
Great photo - another kit I liked - don`t they all look young (even Ted Fenton) {manager to you young`uns} :cricko:

Southend in debt is not a new thing then. In 1966 we owed about £60,000. Quite a lot of money in those days as the average wage in Britain was £20 a week, and a pint of Bitter was 1 Shilling and 10 old penny's, (9p in todays money.)
A big buzzing market tho.

Last edited:
As promised here is the picture of Leigh Comm football club taken in May 1971, wearing the Southend United shirts. The person sitting in the front row left is Willie Kellerway who went on to become club director Bill Kellerway in the 1990s. image.jpg

As promised here is the picture of Leigh Comm football club taken in May 1971, wearing the Southend United shirts. The person sitting in the front row left is Willie Kellerway who went on to become club director Bill Kellerway in the 1990s. View attachment 2887

great photo Os,cannot remember any "faces" though..are you in it????

After just 1 season,1968-69, in the very dark-shirted "Scotland" kit,we decided or rather were forced-it clashed with the refs-to choose a new kit.And for the last 4 home games of 68-9 we played in 4 different kits-all combinations of blue and white-Ipswich blue with white sleeves was one of the others,and we the fans were able to vote.The WBA kit(of course)was easily the most popular!

After just 1 season,1968-69, in the very dark-shirted "Scotland" kit,we decided or rather were forced-it clashed with the refs-to choose a new kit.And for the last 4 home games of 68-9 we played in 4 different kits-all combinations of blue and white-Ipswich blue with white sleeves was one of the others,and we the fans were able to vote.The WBA kit(of course)was easily the most popular!

I did like the `Scotland` one - Johnny Mac and Billy Best looked just right in it :thumbsup:

Back