• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United Presentation Evening 1981.

DJcz38bWsAAaMR-.jpg

Used to be one of the top restaurant in the area , out of interest did the club pay for the night .
NO they did not! The event was organised by the players themselves. I was lucky enough to be invited to attend by Keith Mercer and at that time (1981) I was working for Bill Garner at his Sports Trophy business in Rochford. I then decided to make and give special trophies to each and every player and other members of staff in appreciation for what they had achieved in that record breaking season. I myself was lucky enough to go to 45 of the matches that season.
P.S.Southend United Football Club did hold a Promotional Celebrational Dinner Dance at Garons on Thursday 14th.May 1981. I did attend this event as well along with many other fans and believe it was the same night that Spurs beat Manchester City
in the F.A.Cup Final replay(3-2).

Going back to yesterday's thread by WILDHEART#950 does anybody know where that picture from the 1968-69 season comes from??. The match was clearly an afternoon game at home and looking at the line-up in the picture and checking out the book The Official History of 'The Blues' by Peter Mason & David Goody, there is only 1 match it could be with that line-up which was 26/12/1968.Peterborough United at Roots Hall won 2-1 with goals from Sammy McMillan & Gary Moore with an attendance of 11,124.
There is a couple of other matches it could possibly be but not sure Brentwood Town(10-1)in the F.A.Cup line-up was the same but according to the match programme John Baber was named as substitute(but unused). Also the same line-up was used in the F.A.Cup match against Kings Lynn with John Baber again named as an unused substitute,according again to the match programme.(however I have ruled this match out as we played in Red Shirts with White Shorts that day).

Going back to yesterday's thread by WILDHEART#950 does anybody know where that picture from the 1968-69 season comes from??. The match was clearly an afternoon game at home and looking at the line-up in the picture and checking out the book The Official History of 'The Blues' by Peter Mason & David Goody, there is only 1 match it could be with that line-up which was 26/12/1968.Peterborough United at Roots Hall won 2-1 with goals from Sammy McMillan & Gary Moore with an attendance of 11,124.
There is a couple of other matches it could possibly be but not sure Brentwood Town(10-1)in the F.A.Cup line-up was the same but according to the match programme John Baber was named as substitute(but unused). Also the same line-up was used in the F.A.Cup match against Kings Lynn with John Baber again named as an unused substitute,according again to the match programme.(however I have ruled this match out as we played in Red Shirts with White Shorts that day).

Looking closely at the photograph, there is absolutely no-one in that part of the East Stand that is in the picture.

So am I right in thinking the North Bank goal would have been in line with Park lane ? off of Woodgrange

Fantastic photo 'Seventies'. :thumbsup:

Makes it a bit sad to see what a great amusement park and set-up there once was at The Kursaal.

I have so many fantastic memories of the Kursaal as it was, what a shame it got lost in development, I am sure it would still have been be enjoyed nowadays.

Another great photo of The Kursaal 1930, with Southend's ground above. Nice and clear this one, with of course Southchurch Avenue at the bottom.

the-kursaal-southend-on-sea-1930.jpg

Looks like a Quiet day or early morning when this was taken....Trying to work out what those open top vehicles are at the bottom. Giving rides by the looks of things but not buses?

There's a wonderful old photo of the ground taken from the top of the roller coaster in the 1950's, I think.

I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I'll have to dig around to re-post it.

There's a wonderful old photo of the ground taken from the top of the roller coaster in the 1950's, I think.

I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I'll have to dig around to re-post it.

Wouldn't have been much left of the ground in the 1950's?

Yes, good point.

I've tried to find it, but without any luck so far.

Edit : Can't find it. It's an early morning shot of two workmen at the top of the roller coaster and in the background I'm sure you can see the ground. Muse be dated earlier than the 1950s

Last edited:
I seem to recall it was something to do with the navy being too close to the black worn by the referees.

That's right , but Millwall are wearing the same colour shirts now .

The problem disappeared 20 odd years later with the introduction of other coloured referees' shirts, probably the most significant change to referees' kit since blazers were phased out in the 40s.

Yes definitely evening looking at the shadows. Thanks for the Charabancs, I would never have got that. Have to say where were Health and Safety in those days.

Popular trips on the Charabancs at the time were routes to Shoeburyness and also out to Belfairs Woods with a scheduled stop at the Throatcutters Arms. It was probably quite a pleasant pub in those days. A nice journey out to the countryside!

Quite a few people are into buses and take pictures of them. Not really my scene honest. Maybe that's a hobby MK Shrimper could take up

Popular trips on the Charabancs at the time were routes to Shoeburyness and also out to Belfairs Woods with a scheduled stop at the Throatcutters Arms. It was probably quite a pleasant pub in those days.

Where was that ?

Back