• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That team picture was taken away at Chester probably at start of 1966/7 season when we played there on 7th Sept. The stand in the background is the old main stand at Sealand Road with the open terrace in the background. By the time I went to Sealand Road in the 80's they had built a new main stand.
If you look when we played at Southport at the end of that season we had an emblem on the shirts. In the team photo there is no emblem.

Firmani and Slater had left by the time we played Southport away. I think the strip in the photo is a red change strip so Chester fits the bill.

Happy birthday indeed to a real boyhood hero of mine. It was a real pleasure to meet him in the Centre Circle Lounge a couple of weeks ago.

Who are the opponents in that bottom picture? Can't pick that kit at all.

As it was a great pleasure for me a few years ago.DC did look rather bemused when I thanked him "for giving me a lot of pleasure as a young man" though.:winking:

As it was a great pleasure for me a few years ago.DC did look rather bemused when I thanked him "for giving me a lot of pleasure as a young man" though.:winking:

I was worried for a while that this was a thread about Barry Bennell

I still see Malcolm Slater wandering about Leigh and often stop for a chat and bumped into Andy Smilie last year buying a zillion pints of milk in Iceland for his cafe down the Arches.

Will always miss Trevor Roberts, a lovely man and the reason I started following The Blues as a kid.

Always if I think of naming a team the first three names are - Roberts - Bentley - Birks,

Me too!

And the next three:
Slack, May, Beanland:

Followed by

Woodley, Smillie, Firmani, Smith and Baber .

John McKinven must have been injured. He only played 2 games between mid April and the end of December 66.

I still see Malcoln Slater wandering about Leigh and often stop for a chat and bumped into Andy Smilie last year buying a zillion pints of milk in Iceland for his cafe down the Arches.

Will always miss Trevor Roberts, a lovely man and the reason I started following The Blues as a kid.

I spoke to Malcolm Slater in Westcliff a while ago and he asked me if I knew his weird stalker. I do now. :smile:

I spoke to Malcolm Slater in Westcliff a while ago and he asked me if I knew his weird stalker. I do now. :smile:

He used to play for some of the local teams after he retired.... I remember a game with Hewlyn Athletic over on the old Leigh Marshes pitches during a Sunday league game..We won 8-1. I scored all 8 GET IN..and the write up in the Old Evening Echo.. Stated as a leader.

"Crackshot Crickson".... I am not sure that has been beaten to this day .....:moon:

Still have the image of Trevor Roberts wearing the club blazer whilst teaching at Belfairs such a tragic loss at an early age.As for Andy S still cooking the Smillie special at the arches with Derek Woodleys wife helping out serving.
The footage of that game brought back some happy memories of me forcing my to buy some blue material and stiching the stripe on my white shorts so I could look like my heroes....no replica kits in those days from the club shop ,wonder when the first ones were produced
I still see Malcolm Slater wandering about Leigh and often stop for a chat and bumped into Andy Smilie last year buying a zillion pints of milk in Iceland for his cafe down the Arches.

Still have the image of Trevor Roberts wearing the club blazer whilst teaching at Belfairs such a tragic loss at an early age.As for Andy S still cooking the Smillie special at the arches with Derek Woodleys wife helping out serving.
The footage of that game brought back some happy memories of me forcing my to buy some blue material and stiching the stripe on my white shorts so I could look like my heroes....no replica kits in those days from the club shop ,wonder when the first ones were produced
When I was at Belfairs High School just before you broke up for Easter the masters used to play the school at football which would consist of the best players from 5th and 6th years . At Easter 1970 Trevor Roberts played for the masters and scored two goals in a 3-2 win one of which was a 35 yard shot into the top corner , RIP Trevor .

He used to play for some of the local teams after he retired.... I remember a game with Hewlyn Athletic over on the old Leigh Marshes pitches during a Sunday league game..We won 8-1. I scored all 8 GET IN..and the write up in the Old Evening Echo.. Stated as a leader.

"Crackshot Crickson".... I am not sure that has been beaten to this day .....:moon:

You sure that the headline wasn't "Crackpot Crickson" :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

How long has the current club shop been there.

I remember the one before was essentially a shed

Wasn't there a club shop by the traffic lights on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Priory Crescent in around 1976- where the bridal shop is. I vaguely recall some one telling me Terry Nichol lived in the flat above it.

That team picture was taken away at Chester probably at start of 1966/7 season when we played there on 7th Sept. The stand in the background is the old main stand at Sealand Road with the open terrace in the background. By the time I went to Sealand Road in the 80's they had built a new main stand.
If you look when we played at Southport at the end of that season we had an emblem on the shirts. In the team photo there is no emblem.

Firmani and Slater had left by the time we played Southport away. I think the strip in the photo is a red change strip so Chester fits the bill.

Correct on both counts. Well done "Up the Shrimpers". Yes, the new large main stand at Chester was opened in 1979.

The point gained in that match put us top of Division Four and we once again went top when we beat them (5-1) in the return match at Roots Hall less than 3 weeks later - surprisingly close together matches for September !

Wasn't there a club shop by the traffic lights on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Priory Crescent in around 1976- where the bridal shop is. I vaguely recall some one telling me Terry Nichol lived in the flat above it.

Yes - I remember going in there with my parents in the hope of getting me a kit for my birthday when I was seven or eight, but they didn't sell anything as radical as that.

Yes - I remember going in there with my parents in the hope of getting me a kit for my birthday when I was seven or eight, but they didn't sell anything as radical as that.
If I remember right I had to go to the ground to get my boys kit .

Back