• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wasn't there a club shop by the traffic lights on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Priory Crescent in around 1976- where the bridal shop is. I vaguely recall some one telling me Terry Nichol lived in the flat above it.

I remember when the club shop was just a wooden hut by the corner of the old South Bank. I recall one being next door to The Golden Lion pub at one stage to.

I still see Malcolm Slater wandering about Leigh and often stop for a chat and bumped into Andy Smilie last year buying a zillion pints of milk in Iceland for his cafe down the Arches.

Will always miss Trevor Roberts, a lovely man and the reason I started following The Blues as a kid.

Malcolm is living with the early onset of Alzheimers. He and his wife are moving soon/have moved to, i believe, the west country to be close to either their son or daughter.

Wasn't there a club shop by the traffic lights on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Priory Crescent in around 1976- where the bridal shop is. I vaguely recall some one telling me Terry Nichol lived in the flat above it.
Yes there was it was next to the corner shop, I use to work in there(circa 1980)on match days on behalf of the Supporters Club. Also in the 60's there was a shop in London Road just passed where Sainsbury's currently is, in later years it became a "Christian Fellowship Shop(which is not easy to say). Not sure if or what it is today.

I remember when the club shop was just a wooden hut by the corner of the old South Bank. I recall one being next door to The Golden Lion pub at one stage to.

I believe you're thinking of the programme shop run by Steve Millington, which was in the top left hand corner as you look from the pitch.

TSNB quickly puts up another photo before this wonderful thread becomes hi-jacked by the new stadium talk.

s-l1000.jpg

You sure thats SUFC??
Looks more like a Wormwood Scrubs eleven.
Would not want to meet that lot on a dark night.
Millwall..hard??? Leave it out

you can imagine that lot,dressed in a dark suit,tie,white shirt and winklepickers....fag in the mouth..

No wonder the KRAYS never came to Southend

Vaguely remember in the season where we first got promotion we weren't playing well early on and they set up a amateur team at the Greyhound Stadium... Pegasus ? Think a couple of ex SUFC played for them certainly remember Derek Woodley being one ....started with a few good gates but fell away as soon as we hit form and went on the long unbeaten run and promotion. Anyone know who was behind it ...what league etc

Vaguely remember in the season where we first got promotion we weren't playing well early on and they set up a amateur team at the Greyhound Stadium... Pegasus ? Think a couple of ex SUFC played for them certainly remember Derek Woodley being one ....started with a few good gates but fell away as soon as we hit form and went on the long unbeaten run and promotion. Anyone know who was behind it ...what league etc
Wasn't Ernie Shepherd manager for a while /

Essex Senior League. It only lasted one season 1971/72. They finished 3rd. Next season they played one game, losing 11-1 to Tiptree, and then resigned from the league. So that was that. And yes, sosborne was right, Ernie Shepherd was the manager.

As others have said, the shop wasn't on the corner but just round it on Vic Ave - was always pretty small for a club shop! And I don't know about Terry Nicholl living above it, he may have done briefly but he definitely lived just off Bellhouse Road for longer.

I notice several people on this thread talking about former players and that they still see them or know where they are, please don't forget SUEPA if you're ever in discussion with them. Just point them in the direction of Suffolk Shrimper, the Trust or myself or to look for us on Twitter or Facebook.

What a picture
We may-can build another 5 grounds..
But none will EVER be as good as Roots Hall..built by fans,for fans..that fans of "our age" will always love

Exactly - Roots Hall is a proper football ground ............ all these new builds are stadiums and in comparison lack character and charm. :sad:

Taken from the Southend Utd vs Charlton Athletic program 26th December 74. A few more action snaps to come.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back