• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I will put you out of your misery as you could be guessing all week. Yes to Mervyn Cawston and John Keeley. The guy in the middle is Martin Thomas another goalie, who played for 6 games on loan from Bristol Rovers in 1983. He went on to play mainly for Newcastle and Birmingham. He played in the top flight with Newcastle, along with Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and of course Paul Gascoigne.

Last edited:
I will put you out of your misery as you could be guessing all week. Yes to Mervyn Cawston and John Keeley. The guy in the middle is Martin Thomas another goalie, who played for 6 games on loan from Bristol Rovers in 1983. He went on to play mainly for Newcastle and Birmingham. He played in the top flight with Newcastle, along with Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and of course Paul Gascoigne.

Oh yes !! So it is!

I was mentioning to an old friend the band playing before games at Roots Hall when we were mere whippersnappers(Don't hear that word much nowadays either) . He didn't remember it, but here's the proof. 1969/70 season.
DXSYG_5WAAApc5Z.jpg

I was mentioning to an old friend the band playing before games at Roots Hall when we were mere whippersnappers(Don't hear that word much nowadays either) . He didn't remember it, but here's the proof. 1969/70 season.
DXSYG_5WAAApc5Z.jpg

My second season as an 8 year old watching from the paddock with my dad. Around the same time there used to be an old fella who wore a west ham bobble hat that i think sold programmes. Anyone else remember him?

My second season as an 8 year old watching from the paddock with my dad. Around the same time there used to be an old fella who wore a west ham bobble hat that i think sold programmes. Anyone else remember him?
Yeah he would be at roots Hall Friday night and Upton Park on Saturday

c1955_suscb_rh_full.jpg

Caption says "c1955 Southend United Supporters Club Band at Roots Hall"

But if it is Roots Hall in 1955 is that Roots Hall Avenue in the background? if it is then surely the pitch is to high (pre the sand/clay being dug out).

Some more great pics of the Southend United Supporters Band here
https://www.southendband.com/history/

Southend fans leaving the Kursaal stadium following the last game of the 1921/22 season. I guess if you didn't wear a hat you was the odd one out. They look happy because Southend won 3-0.
DYpgCetX0AA2-jU.jpg

View attachment 5666

Caption says "c1955 Southend United Supporters Club Band at Roots Hall"

But if it is Roots Hall in 1955 is that Roots Hall Avenue in the background? if it is then surely the pitch is to high (pre the sand/clay being dug out).

Some more great pics of the Southend United Supporters Band here
https://www.southendband.com/history/
That picture was taken at the old Grays Athletic ground.
The row of terraced houses top right are still there.

Seeing Theo scoring a penalty in 2009, I offer another photograph of him taking instructions from Tilly at Colchester in 2009.

Attachments

• tr.jpg
    tr.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
DXSYG_5WAAApc5Z.jpg
As I remember it, during those days, the biggest cheer of the afternoon could come, if the band leader dropped his baton/mace, when throwing it in the air!

Back