• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After the famous promotion game at Bury. Sat 14th May 1991.
DUGB07HXUAAoHDH.jpg

My second season as an 8 year old watching from the paddock with my dad. Around the same time there used to be an old fella who wore a west ham bobble hat that i think sold programmes. Anyone else remember him?
My first season 1970.My grandad used to take me to the south bank ,I can still smell the onions from the westlers hamburger stall.

and the terrace behind was called by the local ECFC fans..
the BIG bank!!
They must have been on the "NATCH"cider....and or never seen our SOUTH BANK...now that was an end.
ECFC "end" was on the side ..called the COW SHED...who says Exeter fans were not humorous

Last edited:
and the terrace behind was called by the local ECFC fans..
the BIG bank!!
They must have been on the "NATCH"cider....and or never seen or SOUTH BANK...now that was an end.
ECFC "end" was on the side ..called the COW SHED...who says Exeter fans were not humorous

14 of us went in a mini bus to the FA 1st Rd tie down there in 76 ( you were also there). We left The Elms at closing time, & travelled throughout the night, no M25 back then.
We stood on that terrace, which I reckon was only several terrace steps more than our old Paddock?.
Their 'Cow Shed' lads all came round to say 'hello'. In hindsight, they made a mistake!
Game ended 1-1, replay 2 days later which we won 2-1. None of this pathetic 9-10 day wait these days before a replay happens.

Are you the one taking the picture?
Didn't you just love the anticipation and holding of breath when they marched round the pitch at halftime and the drum Major threw the mace in the air and.......caught it! (Sometimes). Happy Days.

14 of us went in a mini bus to the FA 1st Rd tie down there in 76 ( you were also there). We left The Elms at closing time, & travelled throughout the night, no M25 back then.
We stood on that terrace, which I reckon was only several terrace steps more than our old Paddock?.
Their 'Cow Shed' lads all came round to say 'hello'. In hindsight, they made a mistake!
Game ended 1-1, replay 2 days later which we won 2-1. None of this pathetic 9-10 day wait these days before a replay happens.
Yep,..but that was the other end,the away end..or should we say the away 8 steps...behind the "away end" was houses,where you could stand upstairs and watch the game.
When i lived in Exeter(85-90),every ECFC fan thought(who met us),we were "loon",in fact i met one who came into the away end that day..told me it was the wrong thing to do

Looks like Dave.C even washed his hair for the photo...
If you think that was dodgy hair,you must remember how we all were those days!!!
I wish i HAD hair nowadays too look dodgy

Last edited:
Looks like Dave.C even washed his hair for the photo...
If you think that was dodgy hair,you must remember how we all those days!!!
I wish i HAD hair nowadays too look dodgy

You don't need hair to look dodgy Ozzie :Smile2:....I am sure I have asked this question before but who was Sean Rafters, uncle cousin or something Linton who played in goal?

That's it thank you. He was about quite a lot when we used to go with Lawrie Leslie over Priory Park to train. I never quite made it to reserve team stuff, did a few non games and ended up bizarrly playing for Essex in goal.

Funny thing was I was never really a goalkeeper. I played up front mostly and scored 8 once in a game for a Sunday side. I scored more in one game than @Shrimpersarmy scored in his whole career.:Smile2:

Sigh the old days eh.

Last edited:
I think Gordon's dad was Tommy Linton (Full name Thomas Neilson Goodwin Linton) who played for SUFC as a full back, he made 67 app. between 1946-49, they lived in Carlton Avenue.

Sean lived on Prince Avenue in those old days.

Grumpy Blue and I played in the local schools final for Earls Hall with Malcolm Linton back in the day.

Grumpy Blue was in goal and we beat Hamstel 2-1.

Malcolm and I both scored and he went on to play for us and Orient.

I didn't..........

Last time I saw Malcolm was back in the seventies in the Cricketers with Ricky Heppolette

Malcolm as you know was Gordon's older brother they both went to Earls Hall School.

Malcolm's playing history

1971–1972 Southend United
1972–1975 Leyton Orient
1975 Bath City
1975 Tampa Bay Rowdies
1976 Los Angeles Aztecs
1976–1977 Gravesend & Northfleet
Tilbury

Malcolm played with another great SUFC player at Tampa Bay Rowdies, Eddie Firmani.

Here are a few pics of Malcolm

Rowdies 76 Head Malcolm Linton_small.pngRowdies 75 Road Jersey Malcolm Linton, Atoms_small.jpgRowdies 75 Home Malcolm Linton_smallx.jpgRowdies 75 Home Malcolm Linton_small.jpgRowdies 76 Home Malcolm Linton_small.jpg

Back